Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I love it when people complain about skin tones in heavily graded YT videos them conclude the color science is trash. Big brain time.

I'll admit the sooc files from my a7iii with artificial light can be horrendous, however once corrected they look great to me.

Resolve really helps, without those color tools I don't know that I would be as satisfied with the color.

Big brain time should tell you if a heavy grade doesn't balance out skin tones then the color science captured is a hot mess.

Resolve is great but not all footage should have to be FIXED to the extent Sony's have to be fixed. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Oh colour science

Oh colour science is definitely a thing it's just people are very very subjective about it and there's a ton of brand loyalty that isn't born out by the actual pictures people prefer.

Tony asked people who they *thought* had best colour science (winners Canon and Nikon) then he got the same people to choose their favourite colour science on a blind picture test.

Canon and Nikon came bottom (with negative scores) Sony came top and obvs Sony is perceived to have relatively worse colour science. People are brand fan boys - who knew!

One or two pictures don't tell the story of color science does it?  It means they liked color in those two pictures.

1 minute ago, Matthew19 said:

I'm convinced that Canon shooters judge skin tones at the gut level and Sony shooters judge it with their eyes. This won't make sense to a lot people. 

I judge color with my eyes.  It's easy to do. 

Now making excuses for color that you see with your eyes is what Sony users do.

1 minute ago, Super8 said:

One or two pictures don't tell the story of color science does it?  It means they liked color in those two pictures.

The test got the exact opposite reaction to the stated preference - by a large margin - go watch the video. It was over 1500 people. I'd say that's indicative. People are fan boys about camera brands - we know this!

2 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Thank you for your concern but I’ve managed to make the 8bit s-log from previous Sonys look just fine in DaVinci so I’m not really worried. If you can’t get a decent image out of the a7siii I don’t think the camera is to blame.

I suggest you get an Alexa LF and be done with it.

Official Sony A7SIII videos have issue with color.   For a flag ship camera you shouldn't have to worry about your color being off should you?   I think at some point you do blame the camera and not assume it's the lighting or grade don't you think?  Like what you like but don't make excuses for it's faults.   

14 minutes ago, Django said:

Hmm.. so now he's actually advising people to ignore the overheating tests. The plot thickens..

You and I both know he's not saying ignore all overheating tests. Put the tin foil hat away.

I mean there's no way he'd buy that camera with his own hard earned cash if he genuinely didn't recommend it.

Oh wait - he's just ordered three!

1 minute ago, Nezza said:

You and I both know he's not saying ignore all overheating tests. Put the tin foil hat away.

I mean there's no way he'd buy that camera with his own hard earned cash if he genuinely didn't recommend it.

Oh wait - he's just ordered three!

Just saying he could have gotten 100k of sponsorship from Sony.... 10% re-invested. I would not trust any of these YT reviewers as I would not trust any car dealer.... they do their job and is up to the consumer to verify from multiple sources and ideally from people using it for a while how it really perform.... 

Not sure all this hysteria .... just wait that a few users here and on other forums buy this and the R5/R6 and see all the issue and reports. Basing a decision on these YT influencers is just silly..... is good that they exist as they give a lot of info and I wish more original files but they have their business to run.

3 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Just saying he could have gotten 100k of sponsorship from Sony.... 10% re-invested. 

Are you serious? Have you followed this guy for any amount of time?!

Whats the more realistic scenario here:

A) He's secretly sponsored by Sony for 100K (and if he was he wouldn't be buying 3 of them off the internet at retail like anybody else).

B) He genuinely likes the camera (for the very detailed reasons he's given - as detailed as he is in all his videos).

I'm going with B.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, jgharding said:

So I know they were saying "FX9 colour, everything is fine now" but I watched this official video and her skin is doing the "Sony thing", jumping from yellow, to magenta, to magenta blotches in low light.

I guess I'll have to try one out and see how it is IRL, but this doesn't fill me with confidence...

The initial shot is nice, but the blue light ones she is blue and magenta, in blotches, the tunnel ones she is yellow...

I don't know what's at play here, ISO colour shift, how the sensor reacts to different lights (it seems to be having a horrible time with bluer than daylight and those tunnel lights, which are probably fluros) but it's not a good advert for the camera.

In the Kitchen video there's also some weird stuff going on with the tungsten lights going very yellow too

The funny thing is Sony event admitted their white balance was all over the place on previous cameras, with the additional light sensor on the A7S III which tries to fix the problem.

But skintones definitely still look whacked!

• Administrators
On 7/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, Martin Ng said:

Olympus OMD EM1X and OMD EM1 MK3 have that for a while. Give credit when it is due.

Their "electronic ND" is a composite stills mode only, it doesn't work in video.

39 minutes ago, Django said:

Hmm.. so now he's actually advising people to ignore the overheating tests. The plot thickens..

xy2ejCA.png

Context:

This was tested in Florida under direct outdoor sunlight with ambient temperature of over 38C.

A7S III lasted 23min shooting 4K60

R5 lasted 34min shooting 4K30 HQ.

12 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Are you serious? Have you followed this guy for any amount of time?!

Whats the more realistic scenario here:

A) He's secretly sponsored by Sony for 100K (and if he was he wouldn't be buying 3 of them off the internet at retail like anybody else).

B) He genuinely likes the camera (for the very detailed reasons he's given - as detailed as he is in all his videos).

I'm going with B.

I like the guy and he does really good informative reviews but I can say the same from my friend porshce dealer and former race driver and he would tell you that porsche are way better... with tons of details....   but in realty  is that better that the lambo or ferrari..... 

He is also shooting 95% stuff in his studio so is also not really a great example of real world scenarios.... on 25min video there is maybe 3min if of outdoor or location sample.

To me A7S III looks like a very good camera (mostly for video) but on trusting these reviewers is another story...

In a couple of months we will get a much clearer picture on the various issues and limitations.... 

54 minutes ago, Matthew19 said:

I'm convinced that Canon shooters judge skin tones at the gut level and Sony shooters judge it with their eyes. This won't make sense to a lot people. 

I think I could of  predicted on various forums which (some anyway) members would have negative comments on Sony colour about the camera before  any shot was shown.

The colour looks fine to me generally (though just a bystander),    

When it is at ISO 51200 and up, most of the time the DR will be much less than otherwise (but still more than most cameras at much lower ISOs.

When light does get that low, the human eye does not see colour the same way.

The only thing I want to know is if the camera has an issue in auto WB like its grandfather does?

16 minutes ago, androidlad said:

f8eKAp5.jpg

Well, lots of sharpening halos on the Sony. Other videos show lots of artifacts in darker areas and low light, due to heavy temporal noise reduction - some shots look like straight paint brush or an oil painting.

I don't want that. Thanks Sony for making my decision to keep the S1H so much easier. 🙂