Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, Yurolov said:

He knows a7s will sell better through his affiliate links than c300. Must continue to hype as "perfect camera". Meanwhile, he shows few seconds of actual footage (not shot by him), which looks like camcorder footage. 

Pretending to know the motives of somebody where you obviously can't is usually not a good idea.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Nezza said:

That's a pretty wild take on one of the more respected and impartial camera reviewers. He explains prior to the Sony he was a big big fan of the Canon C series AND his exact reasons why he's not buying a C series and why he's buying the Sony. I guess you missed that part.

I'm aware of his reputation, that doesn't mean I'm going to give him a free pass for shitting the bed on the A7S3 overheating test. Never overheats my ass. How come when incorrect overheating claims for R5/R6 were made by other YT reviewers they were considered Canon shills, and yet Gerald gets a free pass? I know he's one of the more technical and usually thorough reviewer out there which is why I find this even fishier.

As for the C300 III to A7S3 bait and switch claims, his credibility is really at risk here IMO.

9 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Pretending to know the motives of somebody where you obviously can't is usually not a good idea.

I think he is one of the best reviewer but he is also making money out of his review business and once you go there you will never be fully neutral and it is ok as most of us will do the same. Is just naïve to think that he or others are really neutral. Bias can come from money, loaned or priority to get a camera, travel, future project, etc... 

You make a favor to Canon they will give you any camera to test first so you have an advantage, you do the same with Sony and you are ahead there too and in this game speed and early access is more important that unbias. Alternatively you do like Andrew that he is probably the opposite going so strong against the drawbacks that nobody gives him any hw to test. Imo both are not really neutral as one in biased due to the manufacture push and the other is driven by sectionalism to generate "tabloid titles" to get visibility.  Combining both view you get a more realistic view.

9 minutes ago, Django said:

I'm aware of his reputation, that doesn't mean I'm going to give him a free pass for shitting the bed on the A7S3 overheating test. Never overheats my ass. How come when incorrect overheating claims for R5/R6 were made by other YT reviewers they were considered Canon shills, and yet Gerald gets a free pass? I know he's one of the more technical and usually thorough reviewer out there which is why I find this even fishier.

As for the C300 III to A7S3 bait and switch claims, his credibility is really at risk here IMO.

foilhat.jpg

I don't earn my living from video, but my main takeaway from both the Canon and Sony launches is this: if, for your bread and butter, you need things like 8K, massively over-sampled 4K, 10bit internal from a full frame, top-of-the-range AF, high frame rates, minimal RS and cinema colours all in a single A camera package that is reliable to professional standards and doesn't overheat... don't buy a hybrid in a DSLR/hybrid body shape, as with current technology all of the above just isn't available in that format. To get all that, you need a proper cinema camera in a proper cinema camera form factor. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

11 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I have done my own test years ago and watch a bunch of online test and can't find one which showed significant difference, In fact I would say zero difference between 12 bit raw and 14 bit raw. This is the reason I don't shoot 14 bit raw, I think people are two focused o numbers that go beyond human capabilities. Same for resolution, the 2.8k sensor of the Alexa is still good for big screen, so 4k will be good enough and 8k is beyond ridiculous  at any normal viewing angle. There is a lot of test like these https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw

It can be 10bit, I’m totally fine with this. But there is a difference how you get those 10bit in acquisition - from 12 bit adc, 14bit adc or 16bit adc. And dr is one of the attributes affected by adc bit depth.

I know I should not compare it to an arri alexa. But dang I just wish these companies could get arri style colour in an affordable package in 2020. The alexa is 10 years old, and these japanese companies dont come anywhere close to its image or colours 10 years later, in tech years thats ages. Sony had great colour on the F35, so not sure why they have not matched it 10 years later.  

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

None of the 1080p modes on A7S III are supersampled from full sensor readout, 24p to 60p are pixel binned, 120p is pixel binned and lineskipped, 240p is futher pixel binned lineskipped (to 1420 x 804)

IiutgeJ.jpg

I specifically read that it downsamples 4K to HD. I'll have to find it