Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Look this video at about 10:45...
So yeah it overheats severely in sunlight, in outdoors and all. about 20/25mn and then shuts up. I may keep my S1H for now.

I wonder what heat setting he was using? Did he turn the heat setting to high?

He doesn't mention it in the video. The B&H guy was shooting in direct sun as well, so it would be interesting to see what heat settings were used in the test.

42 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Canon had stated 30 mins in most cases at 23°C. Sony states 1 hour or until the battery drains at 25°. I am guessing neither is superb., 

Well 2 videos now say outside it shuts down before the R5, and that’s in 24p in the last video. The R5 has a usable 24p mode with unlimited recording. 

Wait a minute, the A7S III shuts down in 23 min when recording in 85F weather, in 24P?! When the Canon can record unlimited line skipped 4K24p, an more time in 4K24P HQ? 

I am waiting for Andrew’s post about suing Sony. 

Joke appart, I still think that overall the  Sony will be more usable for people who need to shoot longer videos: it seems the Sony recovers from over heating in minutes and has no problem in interior scenarios

For people like me who do not need longer recording time (interviews, production...) the question is still open. 

1 hour ago, David Bowgett said:

All the rumours have been pointing to the Z6S using the same sensor as the Z6, with with an extra Expeed processor, a second XQD slot (probably with CFExpress support out of the box this time), and maybe one or two other design tweaks.

There is one rumor and it is from Nikonrumors. Now these are still vague, same megapixel doesn't mean same sensor. From the same rumor it is doing 60p and has dual xpeed processor. So we clearly don't know if it is the same sensor, the 6 year old Nikon D750 has same FF megapixel but those two sensors are completely different.

11 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Well 2 videos now say outside it shuts down before the R5, and that’s in 24p in the last video. The R5 has a usable 24p mode with unlimited recording. 

Wait a minute, the A7S III shuts down in 23 min when recording in 85F weather, in 24P?! When the Canon can record unlimited line skipped 4K24p, an more time in 4K24P HQ? 

I am waiting for Andrew’s post about suing Sony. 

Joke appart, I still think that overall the  Sony will be more usable for people who need to shoot longer videos: it seems the Sony recovers from over heating in minutes and has no problem in interior scenarios

For people like me who do not need longer recording time (interviews, production...) the question is still open. 

The Sony and Canons need a serious face off. And the S1H to the mix, for the purpose of getting the ballpark right. 

9 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

So should I get the R6 or the A7sIII guys? Im confused. Tell me how to spend my money

Stills focused generally-  R6

Stills focused low light-  A7siii

Video only- A7siii if you take longer clips in sometimes warm temps, otherwise, flip a coin.

Hybrid - Flip a coin ( A7siii for me but others will differ)

5 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

You need a cover to prevent IR radiation hit the whole body. The problem with passive cooling is that sometimes it works in reverse. 

Very likely that the Sony is (incorrectly?) being sounded for overheating by the direct sunlight, mistaking it for sensor overheating (since the body records the temperature, it mistakes dissipation from the sensor to direct heating of the body).

That's an interesting little circus trick that the Sony has. 

8 minutes ago, noone said:

Stills focused generally-  R6

Stills focused low light-  A7siii

Video only- A7siii if you take longer clips in sometimes warm temps, otherwise, flip a coin.

Hybrid - Flip a coin ( A7siii for me but others will differ)

The A7sIII overheats even faster it seems.

6 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Very likely that the Sony is (incorrectly?) being sounded for overheating by the direct sunlight, mistaking it for sensor overheating (since the body records the temperature, it mistakes dissipation from the sensor to direct heating of the body).

That's an interesting little circus trick that the Sony has. 

The A7sIII overheated more quickly in exactly the same lighting, so it's indeed worse than the R5 even.

1 hour ago, Django said:

So the Canons have overheat issues and get bashed to death, memes and all.. but the new Sony, who in a clear comparison test shuts down completely under 23 minutes and before the R5 sitting next to it.. and it gets a free pass? Kinda sounds like double standards.

The difference is at normal temps the camera can go for over an hour without overheating at 4k 120p. While the Canon seems to overheat in 30 minutes regardless and needs an hour or two to cool down. Also no BS lineskipped 1080p looking 4k. 

2 hours ago, Zeng said:

As much as I love Z6 and have hopes Z6s brings certain improvements, it's going to use same sensor, which means 12 bit ADC. Which gives 12 stops of DR more or less. While mostly this is ok for me, Sony's 16bit output could bring 1-2 additional real stops which is tempting. Hate to say this as I never like Sony cameras. Well, up to now...

I have done my own test years ago and watch a bunch of online test and can't find one which showed significant difference, In fact I would say zero difference between 12 bit raw and 14 bit raw. This is the reason I don't shoot 14 bit raw, I think people are two focused o numbers that go beyond human capabilities. Same for resolution, the 2.8k sensor of the Alexa is still good for big screen, so 4k will be good enough and 8k is beyond ridiculous  at any normal viewing angle. There is a lot of test like these https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The difference is at normal temps the camera can go for over an hour without overheating at 4k 120p. While the Canon seems to overheat in 30 minutes regardless and needs an hour or two to cool down. Also no BS lineskipped 1080p looking 4k. 

I'm aware of that yet in sunlight the R5 beat the A7S3. Also at least that "BS lineskipped 1080p looking 4k" doesn't brick the camera, whereas A7S3 seemingly failed in 4K24p under 23mn.

Let me be clear, neither situation is good. If you shoot outdoors in the summer or live in hot climate it's basically a no go. 

All I'm saying is Sony deserves the same amount of scrutiny that Canon endured in the last few weeks.

17 minutes ago, deezid said:

The A7sIII overheats even faster it seems.

The A7sIII overheated more quickly in exactly the same lighting, so it's indeed worse than the R5 even.

BUT Only in the limited circumstance of direct sun (probably a direct heat source) so all you have to do is not have it in direct sun (umbrella or anything to keep it out) and then it will work.

I think it is also going to cool down faster.

As i said above, the Canon must be well insulated and so the heat can not get out and the heat build up comes from within the camera and once it stops, it takes a long while to cool down (because it is so well insulated).

The Sony works fine it seems when not in direct sun so the heat from within the camera is handled better and prbably because the camera is less insulated, the heat gets out faster (but that also means it gets in from an external source too).

It could just be as someone said Sony is being tricked into shutting down by the increased temp from outside.

It may well be that all the Canon needs is a couple of holes drilled in the body?    Maybe the MK ii Canon can have a weather sealed door that can be opened up to let heat out?