Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, Nezza said:

It's not, not in this day and age.

"Shoots stills at the same resolution as  your iPhone!"

Probably not the best marketing slogan ever.

By that logic, since there are phones with 48mp sensors already (ironically made by Sony), NO BODY would ever use any m43 camera again or most of the cameras made by anyone.

I know I am never going to convince anyone but for the vast majority of stills photographers, 12mp is MORE than enough and about the only thing is it is a bit more limited for cropping or if you want to use an APSC mode (where 5mp is a bit lower than I like but even that is ok for many uses).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

..and finally, when we are about to move to 4K delivery, Sony has the perfect 1080p hybrid camera!

I guess when we are ready for 8K they will deliver the 4K we need, well, now!

(Last year I upgraded my whole workflow to move to 4K delivery for a lot of money, I am expecting to use them eventually!)

Come on Panny, gives us what we want! 

Do we have any rumor at all about the GH6?

I haven't seen anything just of yet, they have to move soon, I am expecting something for early 2021, when I am choosing my next hybrid probably.

Despite the shortcomings, the R6 is at the top of my list right now.

14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Come on Panny, gives us what we want! 

Do we have any rumor at all about the GH6?

Just some vague rumors from April of this year. 4K and 6K. Improved AF system. Possibly 3 models. Announcement late 2020, shipping early 2021.

All of that seems really far away, especially the announcement. It seems latest Sony sensor advancements have slowed considerably and now all the train cars are starting to pile up on each other (similar features and capabilities across the brands).

12 hours ago, noone said:

By that logic, since there are phones with 48mp sensors already (ironically made by Sony), NO BODY would ever use any m43 camera again or most of the cameras made by anyone.

I know I am never going to convince anyone but for the vast majority of stills photographers, 12mp is MORE than enough and about the only thing is it is a bit more limited for cropping or if you want to use an APSC mode (where 5mp is a bit lower than I like but even that is ok for many uses).

That would assume the only thing that counts in a camera is megapixels which is clearly not the case. There's a reason Apple has stuck with a 12M for so long. It's perfect for the job in hand, posting on social media, looking at on small screens, standard size prints.

For a full frame, interchangeable lens system 12M will limit you if you want to crop or blow up large prints, which I'd assume somebody that wants to drop thousands on a body/lenses is likely to want.

If Sony does go 12M in the A7S3 it's a no from me and I suspect others. Most people are buying these because they are hybrids, not solely video.

1 hour ago, Nezza said:

If Sony does go 12M in the A7S3 it's a no from me and I suspect others. Most people are buying these because they are hybrids, not solely video.

I’d be happy with the 12mp. Would like improvements in ergonomics, hdmi port & weather resistant build quality. Possibly unlikely.  Anyone wanting a hybrid has the A7 series?

For some unknown reason the 1DXiii has been calling recently...

2 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I’d be happy with the 12mp. Would like improvements in ergonomics, hdmi port & weather resistant build quality. Possibly unlikely.  Anyone wanting a hybrid has the A7 series?

IQ needs work though, if you even compare the pocket 4k and a a7 iii, there is already a huge difference in IQ in favor of the pocket 4k. (+ it has amazing codecs, I guess we cant expect that from sony as it would eat up their higher end lines, but IQ should not be forgotten even if it has limited recording times like the R5) 

And also a + on the stills side would be great. Allthough I use EF glass so I will probably be more tempted with the R5 anyways. As autofocus from EF to e mount is slooooooow.

2 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Always said that I dream a Panasonic GX body with the GH5s sensor, IBIS and PDAF...

The latest rumor:

"The A7Siii will have the S-Cinetone colorscience.
The sensor will be an Exymos R CMOS Sensor.
Sony will add Movie Edit add-on compatibility for Image Stabilization in post. So far only RX0m2, RX100m7, and ZV-1 are compatible with that app. This is how they plan to match Cannon’s IBIS, it won’t be as good but at least it won’t be “warpy”. Also, the slight crop will be used to achieve this.
15+ Stops of dynamic range.
C4K in addition to UHD will be available.

Overall this camera is similar to the A7R4 tweaked in the same way as ZV-1 with similar specs to the FX9, but with a 12MP sensor. Like I said before there is a slight crop. Nothing seems extraordinary on paper except that EVF, but realistically there is no 4K60 10-bit internal 600Mbit camera on the market that can record unlimited video without overheating, with great autofocus and no fan."

4k60p internal with new AF and a flippy screen.

(Not) Exceeding expectations. Actually I felt more or less this was what the a7s3 was going to be all along since Sony wasn't going to trounce the FX9 with a $3500 body. Maybe, met expectations?

Chris

5 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The latest rumor:

"The A7Siii will have the S-Cinetone colorscience.
The sensor will be an Exymos R CMOS Sensor.
Sony will add Movie Edit add-on compatibility for Image Stabilization in post. So far only RX0m2, RX100m7, and ZV-1 are compatible with that app. This is how they plan to match Cannon’s IBIS, it won’t be as good but at least it won’t be “warpy”. Also, the slight crop will be used to achieve this.
15+ Stops of dynamic range.
C4K in addition to UHD will be available.

Overall this camera is similar to the A7R4 tweaked in the same way as ZV-1 with similar specs to the FX9, but with a 12MP sensor. Like I said before there is a slight crop. Nothing seems extraordinary on paper except that EVF, but realistically there is no 4K60 10-bit internal 600Mbit camera on the market that can record unlimited video without overheating, with great autofocus and no fan."

4k60p internal with new AF and a flippy screen.

(Not) Exceeding expectations. Actually I felt more or less this was what the a7s3 was going to be all along since Sony wasn't going to trounce the FX9 with a $3500 body. Maybe, met expectations?

Chris

If they are bringing their new color science and it shoots full frame with actual high dynamic range, not bullshit marketing dynamic range, and the footage actually looks like fx9 - this exceeds expectations. It’s crazy to me that all we are hanging on is specs. The footage is what should exceed expectations - isn’t that all that matters? If the a7s3 and R5 shoot amazing looking video that get close to their big cinema brothers - we all win. In fact, with these 2 cameras we are all winning no matter what. It’s amazing the kind of tech we are getting in hybrid bodies.  

It doesn't exceed my expectations. But guess we are all spoiled 😀 and with unrealistically high expectations. If the pixels for photo were 24M or more, then it would be probably a different story.   12MPx means this is basically a video camera in a small mirrorless form factor. Have experience with Sony A7S and Sony A7 III. Big difference in resolution for photos. Sony wants us to buy two cameras - one for photo and one for video. FF 4K 60p with slight crop ? Use it for more than a year. It's RAW internal and compressed. Camera also has 2.7K 120fp and costs much less. It's called BMPCC 4K 🙂  0.64 XL Speedbooster gives you 1.21 full frame crop. Very close to Canon R5 crop and Sony A7S III. Was hoping that some of the new offerings this year will seduce me to upgrade. But no thanks. 

Both Canon R5 and Sony A7S III are great, just not for me and my budget 🙂 

Sounds like the A7S3 could be outstanding. If it can somehow get around overheating it will be the camera to buy for video. Low light should be incredible. 

7 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

You can't be serious about the no IBIS... I just had a wrecked gimbal shot because I forgot to turn on the IBIS. 😞 

What gimbal/lens were you using?

It doesn't really matter, A7III/28-75 tammy, Moza Aircross 2. For whatever reason it doesn't get super tuned and I know I overload it due to the zooming in and out.  Sometimes it gets the shakes but IBIS usually takes care of it. I'm pretty sure the same thing happens with the Ronin-S as well.