FDTimes "sin-sin" director interview (Sigma Fp RAW)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

In the latest issue of FDTimes there's a very interesting interview with the Japanese director behind the Sigma Fp short-ish film

https://2stxv23ezngh2b8peu3esf6u-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/103-FDTimes-300-SIGMA-fp2.00.pdf

Worth a read

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 11.06.28.png

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 11.07.06.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Incredible read. I got a good laugh when the author immediately referenced The 400 Blows and Yamanaka-san confirmed that it had been an influence on Sin-Sin, because that movie was the first thing that came to my mind after watching the short. 

Also, holy cow this short was originally set to debut at Cannes. I was already gushing over how great the short was compared to other company shorts made to promote a new camera in one of the other FP threads, but that little nugget of info speaks volumes as to how good it is compared to what else we typically see done to promote these types of cameras. 

Sigma hit a homerun with the cinematic qualities of the FP. While there's definitely a number of things they can do to improve for the next model, I'm very happy to see just how stellar a camera they made with the FP.

Well said Andrew. Brilliant review. I so hope everyone gets behind Sigma on this product and their vision. Andrew, I think a review on youtube would really help as there is a current dearth of good reviews out there. Camera hasn't been hyped at all on youtube (some might say that is a blessing).  

• Administrators
6 hours ago, arant.joseph said:

Andrew, get on YouTube and make a review.  Maybe other camera companies will start to take note.

There is a Sigma Fp review on YouTube by you know who... "This camera is TERRIBLE"

It is an absolute travesty of justice that it has 105k views whereas Sigma's short film has less than 3000.

Screenshot-2020-07-01-at-16.36.37.jpg

It is exactly for this reason I am so reluctant to put any effort into YouTube content myself. I can't compete with all the bullshit.

You have to feel sorry for the director. I think Films are better off in the cinema.

"Sin sin" was going to Cannes before the coronavirus hit.

Better to rise above.

I am proud of my written reviews. Don't care if it's a niche, or if I'm an outsider! Been doing them for 10 years. Why give that up and basically go on a TV shopping channel? My 1D X III YouTube review has about 2000 views - was a complete waste of time :)

I'd have to embrace advertising and tacky merchandise to make YouTube work financially. And if it worked I'd get a big ego. Besides, it's a real grind and work rate is atrocious - I am not willing to become part of the YouTuber-manager-orchestrated-circle-jerk of established YouTube celebrities.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

There is a Sigma Fp review on YouTube by you know who... "This camera is TERRIBLE"

It is an absolute travesty of justice that it has 105k views whereas Sigma's short film has less than 3000.

Screenshot-2020-07-01-at-16.36.37.jpg

It is exactly for this reason I am so reluctant to put any effort into YouTube content myself. I can't compete with all the bullshit.

You have to feel sorry for the director. I think Films are better off in the cinema.

"Sin sin" was going to Cannes before the coronavirus hit.

Better to rise above.

I am proud of my written reviews. Don't care if it's a niche, or if I'm an outsider! Been doing them for 10 years. Why give that up and basically go on a TV shopping channel? My 1D X III YouTube review has about 2000 views - was a complete waste of time :)

I'd have to embrace advertising and tacky merchandise to make YouTube work financially. And if it worked I'd get a big ego. Besides, it's a real grind and work rate is atrocious - I am not willing to become part of the YouTuber-manager-orchestrated-circle-jerk of established YouTube celebrities.

What bugs me especially about that video is that Caleb's actual review seems to be generally pretty positive and IMO fair when considering that a vast majority of his viewers won't need a full-blown CinemaDNG RAW workflow (though Caleb does suggest a rather straightforward and not particularly straining workflow with the RAW files in the review) and will likely be looking for an easier "Quality of Life" camera to use for their work. The issue is that video title is clickbait-y as hell and rejects the finer nuances of the pros and cons of his actual review. 

As far as I can tell without having had a chance to properly use one myself (yet), the thing with the Sigma FP is that it's basically a super cheap full frame cinema camera brain that also happens to be a very capable stills photography camera, unlike the Blackmagic Pocket 4K and 6K. It wasn't made with the intent of being super convenient across the board and inevitably that's going to turn away a lot of potential customers. We'll have to wait and see if Sigma will aim to make the FP's successor model more convenient in those Quality of Life ways. 

Also as an aside, it would absolutely behoove Sigma to release Sin-sin on Vimeo and soon. Obviously not many people use it, but it still gets some mileage (Matt Reeves used Vimeo to reveal the new Batsuit in a Costume Test footage earlier this year, for instance) and I think anyone wanting to watch the short with the intent of really examining how capable the FP is as an A-camera for a proper cinema production would want to see the footage in a format that presents as few artifacts caused by the site and compression as possible.