SIGMA FP with ProRes RAW and BRAW !

Trankilstef

1 hour ago, Chris Whitten said:

I watched the Sigma video on Cinematographs. It beggars belief they expended so much effort developing a feature that is kind of an Instagram fx. I find cameras that are trying to walk the line between pro and consumer never quite achieve either.

This is the most pro full frame raw capable camera for the price, it just happens to also make cinemagraphs.  so it did achieve the pro part very nicely.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

This is the most pro full frame raw capable camera for the price, it just happens to also make cinemagraphs.  so it did achieve the pro part very nicely.

I love it, but I don't think pros are using it. A lot of people are scared off by the 'missing' features. Like I said, they could have worked harder on the auto-focus and spent less time on a consumer effect. Don't shoot the messenger here, I love the camera (personally), but I see a lot of people complaining about it.

29 minutes ago, androidlad said:

It's a shame the FP doesn't have an OLPF, with such a low pixel density it's very prone to moire/aliasing.

So far it's been better than my BMD Pocket. Having said that, I probably have pointed it at enough highly patterned or sharp edged objects yet.

This cam is looking amazing.

1) Ninja Star style recorder would be amazing/if BRAW could be recorded on SSDs even more so but might mess with BMs fullframe plans.

2) EF ND adapter would get me to buy one straight away.

3) I hope they release a 21mm 2.8 to match the 45mm 2.8 and then a 75mm 2.8 to have an awesome collection of small primes Leica style.

Do see this as an awesome directors loupe scouting cam/great for directors personal projects and can't replace my fuji for stills yet but its up there for hybrid of the year. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

It's a shame the FP doesn't have an OLPF, with such a low pixel density it's very prone to moire/aliasing.

I'd have nothing against it having an OLPF but...

6K is low pixel density?

No OLPF is the modern standard on almost all cameras in 2020.

Moire and aliasing are trumped up today by chart tests.

The real world situation is what matters more.

The 5D Mark II was an example of where moire issue impacted real world shooting regularly. Even the surface of rivers and water had moire.

Compare the Fp to that and you'll see the moire issues are virtually non-existent outside of pixel peeping.

43 minutes ago, Chris Whitten said:

I love it, but I don't think pros are using it. A lot of people are scared off by the 'missing' features. Like I said, they could have worked harder on the auto-focus and spent less time on a consumer effect. Don't shoot the messenger here, I love the camera (personally), but I see a lot of people complaining about it.

So far it's been better than my BMD Pocket. Having said that, I probably have pointed it at enough highly patterned or sharp edged objects yet.

The AF is better on the Fp than the Blackmagic Pocket 4K & 6K but you don't see Pocket users complaining about AF! Why is this?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Chris Whitten said:

I watched the Sigma video on Cinematographs. It beggars belief they expended so much effort developing a feature that is kind of an Instagram fx. I find cameras that are trying to walk the line between pro and consumer never quite achieve either.

Cinematographs are a pretty creative thing if done well, and you don't know how much time they took to implement it.

It isn't as if they allocated 50% of the firmware R&D budget to a Pet and Food mode is it?

What are the things still missing that we can ask sigma about the next firmware?

1. I personally would be very happy if I could move the 8x zoomed in frame around and not have to zoom out first to move the focus area.  This I because I use manual lensen and would like to quickly confirm focus.  If it could also work during recording even better

2. Audio levels are too far burried down the menu

3. DCI at 4k to SSD

4. I would like to have a way to give the name of my manuals focus lenses in the cdng metadata so I can sort shots by lens

• Administrators

- Dedicated ISO on fn. button

- Half-press shutter to come permanently out of focus punch-in, and yes moving it around frame whilst in it

- Focus punch in ability during recording, if possible (why is this so hard for so many cameras?)

- 2.8K RAW 10bit internal mode for reduced file sizes and SD card recording

- 4K 60p in APS-C mode

- Cup of tea making ability

And yes definitely DCI 4K to SSD would be nice.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The AF is better on the Fp than the Blackmagic Pocket 4K & 6K but you don't see Pocket users complaining about AF! Why is this?

Like I said, don't shoot the messenger. I only use manual lenses. But if you look around the web, hardly anyone is singing the praises of the FP and a lot of people are complaining about vlogger type features like auto-focus, articulating screen etc.

What are the things still missing that we can ask sigma about the next firmware?

Main things for me is a way to shoot braw without attaching a large additional box or monitor, like an SSD. 

Way to lose the white focus box in screen. 

Maybe a hot shoe mounted LCD rather than the bulky and awkward loupe.

1 hour ago, @martybleazard said:

3) I hope they release a 21mm 2.8 to match the 45mm 2.8 and then a 75mm 2.8 to have an awesome collection of small primes Leica style.

They announced this week three very affordable L mount lenses - a 16mm, a 30mm and a 56mm?

The 30mm is definitely on my shopping list.

1 minute ago, Chris Whitten said:

They announced this week three very affordable L mount lenses - a 16mm, a 30mm and a 56mm?

The 30mm is definitely on my shopping list.

I'm sure they are very nice, but I'm not seeing myself buy apsc lenses for a non fuji system, I'm waiting for the upcoming small full frame primes from sigma

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd have nothing against it having an OLPF but...

6K is low pixel density?

No OLPF is the modern standard on almost all cameras in 2020.

Moire and aliasing are trumped up today by chart tests.

The real world situation is what matters more.

The 5D Mark II was an example of where moire issue impacted real world shooting regularly. Even the surface of rivers and water had moire.

Compare the Fp to that and you'll see the moire issues are virtually non-existent outside of pixel peeping.

Sigma FP as well as Panasonic S1 which has no OLPF, are indeed very prone to moire in real world shooting senarios:

A-still-from-the-timeline-Be-aware-of-po

This is exactly the reason why S1H has OLPF.

• Super Members

4. I would like to have a way to give the name of my manuals focus lenses in the cdng metadata so I can sort shots by lens

Its not as good as the camera supporting it directly of course but as a workaround, a  batch exif editor such as this one will let you insert your own data on the files after shooting.

https://www.exifedit.com/for-mac/

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Sigma FP as well as Panasonic S1 which has no OLPF, are indeed very prone to moire in real world shooting senarios:

A-still-from-the-timeline-Be-aware-of-po

This is exactly the reason why S1H has OLPF.

Which camera is the framegrab from?

In my experience it isn't usually the lack of OLPF causing the moire in video mode, but sensor readout and sampling method.

Like a downsample from 6K to 4K.

If this frame was from a full res 6K RAW photo, I doubt the moire would be there, even with lack of OLPF.

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So done a bit more experimenting with the picture profile: Off function.

It does recover highlight detail

It does reveal a lot of shadow detail.

If it barks like LOG, is it a DLOG?

That is the question.

It's actually linear. You get a good final image by using Resolve's Color Space Transformation tool and mapping gamma from linear to Rec709 (preferably with the Tone Mapping option activated).