Check our music video shot with the Lumix S1 and BMPCC4K

funkyou86

Hey, so I had the Lumix S1 and the P4K for a while and this project was great to test it. I love the image coming out from the S1 (shot everything to V-Log, 10bit), but the BMDraw held up so much better in the grading process. I believe we shot everything to 8:1 RAW, 60fps than conformed it to 24.

All the band performances and non-slowmo stuff was shot with the S1 + Samyang VDSLR lenses, mostly 50mm, wide open at T1.5. All speedramped stuff was shot with the P4K.

The ligting setup was fairly simple:
Band performance: 2x Photo-R COB lights with softboxes + backlight
Jury: Aputuer 300D + Lightdome + backlights
Stage performances: 300D + fresnel (which I regret now a bit, maybe a softer light would be much better) + 2800K rimlights.

We also used prisms to add some sweetness and surreal feel to the image. 

The whole video was shot in one place, in maybe 14 hours with a crew of 4 people (dir, dp, 1st ac, grip).

I edited everything in Premiere Pro than spent weeks and months to grade it with lumetri. By the time I got familiar with resolve, so I exported everything to Resolve and graded it in maybe 2 days. Still not perfect, but still better than what I've got from premiere. 

Anyways, let me know what you think :) Don't get confused with the multilingual intro, turn on the subtitles please (we did everything to do a proper translation 😄 ). Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Congrats!

This is a solid piece.
I really liked the tune and I think the visuals matched it very well.
Kudos for being able to uphold it for over 5 minutes without making it repetitive and boring. Cross-cutting definitely helped.

Regarding lighting: in my opinion it's on point, wouldn't change anything myself.
Stage lighting might be quite harsh, but this makes it believable and solid.

Grading looks awesome. Beautifully enhances your set production.
Though I noticed some small issues with clipped colors, like those blue blobs and pink highlights:image.thumb.png.f0c497d13e408147d89197eaeb854db4.png

image.thumb.png.2d76c74234a7bac7262593f279d2b3ed.png

You mentioned using Resolve, so I can wholeheartedly recommend adding a node at the end with 'Gamut Limiter' Effect (it's a built-in effect). It should fix it.

Another thing that didn't quite match my taste was overall sharpness.
The footage looks like you added a tiny bit too much digital sharpening to it. It's especially visible during the opening shot in the plastic wrap you used to secure the mic boom.
IMHO, a soft look would nicely complement the tone you set.

Once again: great work and thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

Hey, so I had the Lumix S1 and the P4K for a while and this project was great to test it. I love the image coming out from the S1 (shot everything to V-Log, 10bit), but the BMDraw held up so much better in the grading process. I believe we shot everything to 8:1 RAW, 60fps than conformed it to 24.

All the band performances and non-slowmo stuff was shot with the S1 + Samyang VDSLR lenses, mostly 50mm, wide open at T1.5. All speedramped stuff was shot with the P4K.

The ligting setup was fairly simple:
Band performance: 2x Photo-R COB lights with softboxes + backlight
Jury: Aputuer 300D + Lightdome + backlights
Stage performances: 300D + fresnel (which I regret now a bit, maybe a softer light would be much better) + 2800K rimlights.

We also used prisms to add some sweetness and surreal feel to the image. 

The whole video was shot in one place, in maybe 14 hours with a crew of 4 people (dir, dp, 1st ac, grip).

I edited everything in Premiere Pro than spent weeks and months to grade it with lumetri. By the time I got familiar with resolve, so I exported everything to Resolve and graded it in maybe 2 days. Still not perfect, but still better than what I've got from premiere. 

Anyways, let me know what you think :) Don't get confused with the multilingual intro, turn on the subtitles please (we did everything to do a proper translation 😄 ). Cheers!

nailed it!  congrats

46 minutes ago, heart0less said:

You mentioned using Resolve, so I can wholeheartedly recommend adding a node at the end with 'Gamut Limiter' Effect (it's a built-in effect). It should fix it.

Oh! What a great idea! Thank you :) TBH, i was so focused on shotmatching, i did not realised these mistakes. 

Another thing that didn't quite match my taste was overall sharpness. The footage looks like you added a tiny bit too much digital sharpening to it. It's especially visible during the opening shot in the plastic wrap you used to secure the mic boom.

We shot everything on the native ISOs, yet still a huge amount of noise were present which was very noticeable after the heavy grading, so I had to denoise it, than the image become mushy and very soft. I added some 35mm filmgrain to highlights and midtones but maybe I should add even more. The s1 footage really hates the denoiser and sharpening, the p4k was kind of okay with it. 

Thanks for y'all comments :) I'm grateful for your feedback.