XLR Mic to 3.5mm cord - A7iii

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Curious if anyone know if this would work?  If I have a Shure sm57 and wan't to boom it overhead a subject during an interview, could I run that XLR end of the mic into a 3.5mm cord direct into the a7III?

Unfortunately that mic requires phantom power, so you will need another device to send the signal to your camera. 

Are there easier options for mics that can be directly plugged into the mic so there is no post editing/syncing of audio?  A mic that can mount on the camera or off/boom/stand that has decent quality for interviews?  I don't need an NTG3 level quality.

23 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Are there easier options for mics that can be directly plugged into the mic so there is no post editing/syncing of audio?  A mic that can mount on the camera or off/boom/stand that has decent quality for interviews?  I don't need an NTG3 level quality.

I have the NTG4+  that i have used on a A7S with good results.

An SM 57 is not the right mic for recording dialogue.

It is designed for LOUD sources. It is meant for people to either mic up drums where it is a few inches away from the source, or right in front of the speaker of a guitar amp.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/sm57  

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

If you want one mic that will do both... on camera and boomed overhead, then either a shotgun or... a lav mic???

12 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Yes a shotgun around $200 of less any recommendations?

Second-hand Rode NTG2 ???

I see one listed on Reverb for $198, but they have a "make offer" option so you might be able to get it for a few dollars less (assuming you live in the USA, my apologies if I assumed wrong).

I would hope that @IronFilm could weigh in if he has experience with this mic and would also see if Curtis Judd has a review on youtube about it. 

As an aside, if I am reading Amazon reviews of a product (any product, not just cameras and such). then I try to pay special attention to the reviews that are three stars and two stars, and pay less attention to the five-star and one-star reviews. The three star reviews seem to point out the "realistic" flaws of an item.

Also, you mentioned a7 III. I remember a couple months back that the website who we are not supposed to mention did a review of camera preamps and they seemed to get mixed results with the a7 III. 

4 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Unfortunately that mic requires phantom power, so you will need another device to send the signal to your camera. 

Just for the record, the SM57 does not require phantom power but as others pointed out it's a totally inappropriate mic for this purpose. You'd not only need a preamp but probably a cloudlifter as well, and even then it wouldn't do a good job.

You might want to check some of these in addition to the other options mentioned here:

https://filmdaft.com/best-budget-on-camera-shotgun-microphones/

If you're going to be doing your interviews indoors rather than outside, and there won't be a lot of other noise wherever you're doing the interview, that opens up a lot of other possibilities, including non-shotgun mics like the Line Audio CM-4 (less than $200 US but excellent studio-quality sound.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:53 AM, SRV1981 said:

Curious if anyone know if this would work?  If I have a Shure sm57 and wan't to boom it overhead a subject during an interview

The Shure SM57 isn't a mic you should be booming out of shot, just have it viewable on screen instead if you're going to be using it.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:13 AM, docmoore said:

You could pick up a secondhand Sound Devices MP-1 for the same cost. 

On 6/20/2020 at 5:26 AM, SRV1981 said:

Sorry I should have said $200ish or less

Spend the extra hundred bucks:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1513937-REG/deity_microphones_s_mic_2s_shotgun_microphone.html

On 6/20/2020 at 6:48 AM, Thomas Hill said:

Not a shotgun but the Rode NT3 is great boomed overhead and it's battery powered so no need for phantom power. It can be found used for $200 or less or new for $269.

It's a cardioid though, so a broader pick up pattern than the OP wants I'd presume if he's just interviewing a single seated subject on camera.