The New Panasonic G100 “vlogging” Camera to launch June 24th

Video Hummus

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

The LX100ii and G95 were legitimately the most I've ever been disappointed by camera announcements. They were such easy home runs, I couldn't imagine Panasonic striking out on them. 

I really, really hope this isn't a sign of things to come from Panasonic. 

Yeah, why is it so hard to get this shit right. They literally took several steps backwards on this. They could have taken all the time, man-hours, and dollars spent releasing this G100 potato and fixed their AF (or at least made a dedicated vlogging AF mode) for a GX85V for vlogger edition...

Their next camera release will probably be a good indicator if this was just a misstep or a trend.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I also think no IBIS on GH5S was a major misstep

This could be partly forgiven given the size of the sensor in the GH5S and the potential to vignette on MFT lenses or limit IBIS effectiveness to prevent the vignetting.

And to their credit they released a bomb of a firmware update for the G9 that effectively made it a G9 mk 2.

With all its cripples....this camera is truly a bizare marketing decision. It's actually scary to think that Panasonic management asked engineers to design it and then green lit it to go into manufacturing production.

Huh?...who was in charge of this project at Panasonic? Who actually believed it would sell enough to justify its R&D cost?

We can forgive weak DfD auto focus because the GH5 and GH5S gives us so much more besides AF. But this little thing gives us weak DfD AF with no other great (or even good) features to back that up and compensate us for it.

Its just a little hunk of junk that is badly crippled to protect higher Lumix cameras.

With all the camera choices today....i can't see anybody saying "Oh WOW....THAT!!!...is the camera I really want"

Panasonic management is starting to scare me. What is going on up there?

1 minute ago, Cliff Totten said:

With all its cripples....this camera is truly a bizare marketing decision. It's actually scary to think that Panasonic management asked engineers to design it and then green lit it to go into manufacturing production.

Huh?...who was in charge of this project at Panasonic? Who actually believed it would sell enough to justify its R&D cost?

We can forgive weak DfD auto focus because the GH5 and GH5S gives us so much more besides AF. But this little thing gives us weak DfD AF with no other great (or even good) features to back that up and compensate us for it.

Its just a little hunk of junk that is badly crippled to protect higher Lumix cameras.

With all the camera choices today....i can't see anybody saying "Oh WOW....THAT!!!...is the camera I really want"

Panasonic management is starting to scare me. What is going on up there?

Take out everything that Vloggers want in a camera and advertise it as a camera for Vloggers.

If I were myself to start a camera company today

You'd probably end up with a Black Magic Design lookalike.

On a different note I don't think Panasonic really needs to get rid of the Lumix name it works good to differentiate from the video line, but I would agree their full frame sensor product line should probably be something different and make Lumix the micro four thirds category.

Panasonic must feel like they are not an underdog anymore so they are adopting the same practice of building a flagship camera and then finding overtly arbitrary ways to gimp features on it to sell to people who will trade features for a discount. The golden years of the GH2 were fun. It's too bad Panasonic doesn't want to be that company today.

Honestly, let’s not kid ourselves. Panasonic has plenty of good cameras. I don’t give a crap if they make a few cheap duds here and there. The market will teach them right from wrong.

But their true Achilles Heel is their autofocus, and at a certain point, that deficiency is going to be egregiously impossible to ignore.

I hope they ditch Apple’s ProRes Raw and/or add Blackmagic Raw. DaVinci has my heart and soul, and FCPX screwed me enough times that I’m not going back down that road. If they create their own Raw, that just crowds the market.

1 hour ago, DataMeister said:

You'd probably end up with a Black Magic Design lookalike.

On a different note I don't think Panasonic really needs to get rid of the Lumix name it works good to differentiate from the video line, but I would agree their full frame sensor product line should probably be something different and make Lumix the micro four thirds category.

Panasonic must feel like they are not an underdog anymore so they are adopting the same practice of building a flagship camera and then finding overtly arbitrary ways to gimp features on it to sell to people who will trade features for a discount. The golden years of the GH2 were fun. It's too bad Panasonic doesn't want to be that company today.

They also use Lumix on their cheap little point and shoots.

I have one that is my underwater/waterproof camera though image quality is far worse than even some older phones (video is only 720p) and another that would have been quite expensive (almost nothing for me and I still overpaid) with a Leica branded lens and lots of controls but its image quality is not anything that I like and video is early full HD

I know what is going on here...

Panny knew that Olympus was going to go and they do not wish to continue with 4/3rds themselves.

By releasing this piece of junk they can then say, "oh well, we have taken 4/3rds as far as we can and are now moving on from making any more and canning the GH6 in favour of FF only".

T-rump and Kim Ping Pong have also played a part in this devious but transparent conspiracy.

I'd prefer a host of "old" other cameras to this turd. I felt so uncomfortable watching that stupid promo; I couldn't finish. Panasonic must have had an A-team and B-team for marketing and development. Instead, they asked their grandmother to come up with something! This is so painful to watch!

Dissenting opinion from an actual M43 user...

Most backlash over the G100 is unfounded. The G100 is not the G95 or GH6. It is not a professional tool for vlogging (really only the GH5 is) and Panasonic never tried to market the G100 that way. Obviously Panasonic should have made that point even more clear, but it is stated in almost all of Panasonic's marketing materials that the G100 is an entry-level vlogging tool. In the end what is criminal here, is that the photography aspects of the camera are undersold. It's strange to me to see how photography-centric users have fawned over the GM5 (and pay a premium price for it used try to find one a decent used one on Ebay for under $400), but then slam the more capable G100.

The G100 is the updated GM5. It's the GM5 with upgraded sensor, viewfinder, electronics and ergos. It can also be thought of as a much more serious GX850/GF10. A camera that people didn't take seriously due to lack of features and lifestyle-type marketing. Still, there are so many scenarios where decisions made for the G100 (like shaving IBIS) to improve size and weight while significantly upgrading the viewfinder make it a better camera in so many scenarios.

• Day hiking or backpacking. The G100's viewfinder and handling beat the Gx85, GX8, and Gx9 in this scenario hands down almost every time. Who needs IBIS over a good viewfinder here for photography (especially in the daytime, under 100mm?
  • Traveling or Day hiking and need 200-300mm? Take any of the lightweight 30-100mm, 40-150mm or 14-140mm stabilized lenses and use that upgraded 20 MP sensor and Ex.Tel Con or crop in post. I'd rather do this than carry the 50-200, 100-300, or 100-400 purely optical solutions
  • Stealth street photography. The G100 is sized like a point and shoot and will attract next to no attention with the kit lens, a prime, or even with the tiny Lumix 35-100mm.
  • Sporting events or concerts. Same as above, the G100 + 35-100mm (Lumix or Lumix X or 14-140mm Lumix) get in the door almost every time.
  • Second or third body at an event. The G100s fit in the bag (just like the GM5) but now have roughly the same I.Q. as the G9 or GH5. Carry with compact 1.4, 1.7, 2.8 primes under 75mm (Lumix/Sigma/Oly.) Leave the flashgun at home. Use IBIS bodies for only when long telephoto or ultra low light capabilities are needed.

On YouTube vlogger reviews:
The point so many YouTube vloggers are missing is that the G100 is an entry level vlogging camera with an interchangeable lens system and a bigger sensor. It's benchmark is the Canon EOS M50 which the G100 beats handily on price. The G100's benchmarks are not 1" sensor fixed lens cameras like the ZV-1 and Canon G7 mk III which claim to be professional vlogging cameras but offer few advantages above a good cell phone. The G100 gives a beginning vlogger/photographer the flexibility of a lens system. How this goes unmentioned or minimized in professional reviews blows my mind.

What about the Fujifilm XT-200?
Hell even the "impressive" Fujifilm XT-200 isn't well conceived for entry level vloggers. It crops like crazy when EIS is turned on in 4k. It also has a 15 min recording limit at 4K/30. Where's the backlash? Nonsensically, the XT-200 has absolute garbage 1080p quality making the vlogger choose between 15 minutes of recording in 4k, or horrible I.Q. in 1080 to get more recording time. It's not a good choice for any entry-level user to have to make given that entry level uses have limited resources. And don't even get me started on what has to be the worst rolling shutter in a modern camera coming out of that XT-200. It's like Fuji chased the spec sheet to win over the press, achieved that, and then when people actually got to using the camera, learned the hard way that 4k vlogging is overrated af. So speaking of which....

... Beginner types don't have the kind of baller computers that it takes to work with 4k video files. So of course, they also don't often use 4k to video crop. Even Casey Camera Conspiracy guy noted a few videos ago that 1080p vlogging made a lot more sense than 4k vlogging. He then proceeds to later rip the G100 for it's 4k crop, giving little nods to every other camera in the same size range doing exactly the same thing but with a narrower kit lens FOV. Dumb. Look at the competition. Why bother pointing out that the 4k record limit is short when at this price and size there is no way that such a tiny travel friendly camera body could dissipate the heat generated by a M4/3 sensor at 4k with unlimited record times. Hell, where would the battery to do this even go? Of course he could just drop down to that reasonable 1080p/30 and get 30 minutes which will handle most situations while making workable file sizes, but I guess everything has changed and now if you ain't vlogging in 4k, you ain't vlogging at all.

Check the "How it Compares" table From DP Review: Note, the G100 looks to have benchmarked the EOS M50 (and not the fixed lens, 1" sensor cameras (Sony ZV-1, or Canon G7 mk. III)

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g100-g110/2

Lastly, entry level vloggers also rarely use external mics, thus the G100s Nokia OZO mic stuff. They travel and talk to the camera. Minimally edit, upload and post. Volume of work is the key. 1080p on YouTube properly exposed works better for these use cases. 1080 still looks great, and most importantly targeting that resolution nets a camera who's size and files get out of the way of the vlogger so they can tell their stories. Need to record buttery stabilized 4k video with no crop on your G100? Get a cheap gimbal. The G100 is small enough to use with some of the cheapest, lightest gimbals on the market without a problem.

To me, the G100 makes a ton of sense when considering all the above. I will buy 1 (and maybe 2 if there isn't an upgraded GX9 this year) to accompany my G9 and mostly replace my GX85 in the daytime. The G100 (like the GM5) looks like one of those rare cameras that people who actually travel, shoot, and now film are going to love.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DAEMANO said:

Most backlash over the G100 is unfounded. The G100 is not the G95 or GH6. It is not a professional tool for vlogging (really only the GH5 is) and Panasonic never tried to market the G100 that way. Obviously Panasonic should have made that point even more clear, but it is stated in almost all of Panasonic's marketing materials that the G100 is an entry-level vlogging tool. In the end what is criminal here, is that the photography aspects of the camera are undersold. It's strange to me to see how photography-centric users have fawned over the GM5 (and pay a premium price for it used try to find one a decent used one on Ebay for under $400), but then slam the more capable G100.

So basically the G100 is an unremarkable low end camera marketed at the wrong people.

We are supposed to congratulate Panasonic for that?

I'll tell you what the G100 really is...

Lazy.

In the context of what kind of innovation is needed for a 2020 connected device and social media, it is a kind of afterthought device from 10 years ago.

That it is aimed at beginners is besides the point.

There is no excuse for a lack of ideas.

The G100 is the updated GM5. It's the GM5 with upgraded sensor, viewfinder, electronics and ergos.

It doesn't matter what model number you dress it in, it still compares poorly to all the other small cameras in the same price range and same product class.

I advise you to look what you can get for $750 used.

All sorts of much more powerful and reliable stuff.

Even the most absolutely small size obsessed cash strapped stills shooters would more likely go Canon M50 for the larger sensor and EF lens compatibility with good AF.

On YouTube vlogger reviews:
The point so many YouTube vloggers are missing is that the G100 is an entry level vlogging camera with an interchangeable lens system and a bigger sensor.

Yes, that's worse than almost all the alternatives.

Recently, I spent about 200 Euros on a used PL9 (yes, Olympus). I 99% certain that many people would get better vlogging results with it handheld than the G100. The PL9 is slightly lighter at 380g, has 3 axis IBIS but no viewfinder. And that's what is so strange about the G100; why does it have a seemingly amazing viewfinder- vloggers don't really need that. It would have shaved considerable weight off this and there would have been room for 5 axis IBIS, that flip-out screen (and possibly no overheating). This one change would have made it into a winner. Instead, they put some strange microphone system into it and a great viewfinder. What were they thinking?

2 hours ago, DAEMANO said:

Most backlash over the G100 is unfounded. The G100 is not the G95 or GH6. It is not a professional tool for vlogging (really only the GH5 is) and Panasonic never tried to market the G100 that way.

An opinion from another dedicated MFT user.  Most of the backlash is well deserved.  In 2016 Panasonic gave us the GX85 and then the G95; both cameras were more innovative and deserving of purchase over this camera, even today.  

Most of your arguments on how useful the G100 can be refers to MFT in general and not the G100 specifically.  Yes, it takes the smaller MFT lenses, just as any other MFT camera.  But even with IS lens, IBIS is still needed once you go above 50mm in say the 35mm to 100mm.  This applies as much to photo as video.

Entry level vloggers shouldn't be denied IBIS, which I'm sure they would find very useful, more so, being entry level.  And not having it, when a 4 year old GX85 had it, is so stupid, its laughable.

4K so badly cropped, makes one wonder why add it at all, except to tick a marketing box.  Again, who are Panasonic to decide how entry level vloggers choose to film.  The 10 min clip limit, when their 4 year old GX85 was able to do 29 mins, is another so stupid, its laughable decision.  

The G100 doesn't need to be as professional as the GH5.  It certainly doesn't need vlog, esepcialy with that 8 bit limited codec.  Again, I must ask, why did I as a GH5 buyer have to pay an extra £100 to get the more professional vlog, when this cheap unprofessional camera gets it included as standard.  

Frankly this camera is all over the place, as is Panasonic to be honest.  I use to love them for their consistent approach to their MFT cameras.  Again, back to the GX85, it introduced me to IBIS.  For me, it was groundbreaking in a way.  4 years later, the G100 is noted more for what it doesn't include.  Not a good step forward and for those who feel MFT is on limited life, ammunition to support it.

4 hours ago, DAEMANO said:

The G100 is the updated GM5. It's the GM5 with upgraded sensor, viewfinder, electronics and ergos. It can also be thought of as a much more serious GX850/GF10. A camera that people didn't take seriously due to lack of features and lifestyle-type marketing. Still, there are so many scenarios where decisions made for the G100 (like shaving IBIS) to improve size and weight while significantly upgrading the viewfinder make it a better camera in so many scenarios.

Two things.

A) It is NOT aimed ONLY at entry level vloggers (they say that in that entry level users can use it also)....Nah, it is just aimed at vloggers generally.

B) It is not an updated anything, it is totally new and THEY are saying it is not an update.

I think If they had quietly put out the  camera  saying look what we made from out spare parts bin and oh, we are trialing a new audio system, have at it and put it out at a cheaper price, sure it would make sense but every video from them specifically calls it a vlogging camera.

The camera is ok for a limited market but NOT the one they are flogging it to.

Oh and there is a link to you no where there to.

Not bad for a first post.

Also might be a good thing it was not compared to some of the one inch cameras.    Even in 1080, the Panasonic does 28mbps while the ZV1 does up to 100.

20200628_154603.thumb.jpg.73187028422532a238c962937ebdac7a.jpg

Another M43 shooter here. 

The G100 is trash, even in the context of a "starter" vlogging camera. It pains me to say but no amount of excuses will change that. It's inexcusable. There's literally no reason for it to exist; no one asked for it. Not vloggers and certainly not enthusiasts or professionals. 

I don't even mean to encourage them to just take a GX85 and add a flip screen and mic, because that'd have been bullshit too, but it'd still be much better than what they did with the G100. 

It is genuinely concerning that this thing even moved beyond a pitch, let alone production. The Lx100 II and G95 might've been disappointing updates, but at least they improved and added something. This though? It's a crippled camera that would make even Canon blush.