The New Panasonic G100 “vlogging” Camera to launch June 24th

Video Hummus

4 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

The camera they need to put out is an LX100 with flippy screen, mic jack and new sensor with no 4K crop and better dynamic range

This would make sense to me, or that little LX10/15. Why not develop one of those instead?

I keep reading the headline, "there's no market for compact cameras anymore", but aren't these latest offerings exactly that, just a little more video orientated (supposedly) and tagged differently?

There are of course limits to what can be crammed into a tiny body, but I don't think we are that far away from something pretty special.

The vloggers seem to have wanted something a little wider than a 24mm equiv with the ZV1 and us more 'cinematic' types would like to see a larger sensor and in my particular case, 4k 60p compact with a modest rather than super zoom.

We're so close...

Except Panasonic who have had a moment of utter lunacy.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Additionally YouTubers/vloggers have a huge impact upon the non-vlogger market, as they're the ones producing reviews, showcasing what they use, and getting views. They have a big big influence if you can capture this market. Can make for lots of free advertising for your brand. 

This is what I was thinking.

I was also thinking they might have done a camera update and then the marketing people added the word "vlogger" in post.  and by "post", I mean post-camera-design :) 

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It seems Panasonic did not get their research right on this one

10 min limit in 4K for YouTubers... So that rules it out for monologues, interviews, live events, shows, a lot of YouTube content basically.

4K crop... On a camera for YouTubers who need wide angles for self shooting.

No phase-detect AF like the Sony rival. YouTubers need reliable AF.

No 5 axis IBIS. YouTuber's need IBIS.

May as well use a G95.

Except for phase detect (and I really do think for vlogging the G9's implementation of DFD can handle it), all these limitations are the same limitations of the GF9. Panasonic picked the wrong camera to base G100 on. The controls are lacking too, for the same reason.

Well regular people are not buying old type compact cameras anymore so Companies HAVE to  either capture a larger share of the existing market (at the expense of others) or find new markets.

I have several small point and shoot cameras I hardly ever use and have thrown a couple into the bin that were working perfectly recently and will probably throw a couple more out very soon.    

I guess this camera was made on the cheap and while it is not great, maybe it WILL sell to enough people to justify its existence.

Some of you are GREATLY underestimating the Youtube market (not just those who call themselves Vloggers but anyone who wants to put even one video is in need of a capture device).     For many it will be a phone, for lots of others it will still just be a cheap point and shoot (sometimes still with just SD).      Even ONE percent of the You Tube market would still likely be profitable for a camera company as long as it is only catering to that (which is what cameras like this and the recent little Sony pretty much are doing).     There are probably ENOUGH Sony haters who would not buy the ZV1 no matter how much better that will buy this anyway to justify its existence.

• Administrators

I see the dilemma Panasonic had over costs, small size, and so on.

What I don't understand is how they can justify such a stripped back G100 in 2020, but give us a superior-for-video GX85 in 2016 for < £500 with IBIS, it's small, cheap, minimal crop in 4K with an old sensor, I feel the parts donor for the G100 just isn't right. It should have been the GX85 with latest firmware features and fully articulating screen for vlogging. And if they wanted to go super-small, it should have been LX100 spec. Not LX100 II with the extra 4K crop.

Instead they went for GX9 in even smaller body. Wrong choice.

IBIS is a crucial unique selling point for YouTubers interested in Micro Four Thirds!

This camera obviously sucks for the marketed purpose of Vlogging. Still I feel very attracted by the mini Sony A7 like, compact and lightweigt design. Basically a GX9 with better and articulated screen and OVF, but lacking IBIS. It can easily be considered as the best street photography camera from Panasonic. If the price will drop, I'm certainly gonna try it out with the perfect Leica 1.7/15.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I see the dilemma Panasonic had over costs, small size, and so on.

What I don't understand is how they can justify such a stripped back G100 in 2020, but give us a superior-for-video GX85 in 2016 for < £500 with IBIS, it's small, cheap, minimal crop in 4K with an old sensor, I feel the parts donor for the G100 just isn't right. It should have been the GX85 with latest firmware features and fully articulating screen for vlogging. And if they wanted to go super-small, it should have been LX100 spec. Not LX100 II with the extra 4K crop.

Instead they went for GX9 in even smaller body. Wrong choice.

IBIS is a crucial unique selling point for YouTubers interested in Micro Four Thirds!

My kit is a GH5, a G85 and the GX85 as my c-cam. I bought the GX85 because I saw one used for $250US and figured if I found I didn't use it I could easily sell it for that, or even maybe a little more. 

After my first multicam shoot using it I was blown away. The IQ is in the same league as its big brothers, though the GH5 is superior for obvious reasons. The three though match pretty much seamlessly.

Now when I go to grab a camera for something minor or for personal use, I pretty much always grab the GX85. Where it really blows my mind is when I pair it with the 35-100mm f2.8. What a combo! And you can pretty much bring it anywhere without anyone paying any mind. 

Throw a flip up/out screen and mic jack, and you'd have had a much more competitive "vlog" camera using 4 year old technology. Bonus if they'd included GH5/G9 AF updates. 

• Super Members

To be fair, I think the Pocket thing was two fold really.

Obviously the physical one of you needing the proverbial clown's pocket to fit it in.

The other was more philosophical about the contrast to the original.

A bit like both of these cars being a Fiat500

fiat500.jpg.8a9bbd00e84501d68f5bde73605866fc.jpg

58 minutes ago, no_connection said:

They pulled a Canon and released a 1080p only camera with EIS and only working with kit lens. Good job guys.

It is Panasonic, so I suppose there's a slim chance that they'll improve it in a future firmware upgrade, but I sure wouldn't be buying one and betting on that though.

I sometimes feel that I'm having a weird dream with 2020.  Aside from most of my work being postponed or cancelled due to a flu virus, we have Canon giving us an 8K camera and Panasonic giving us a crippled 4K camera. 

Frankly I'm waiting now to see if I wake up and experience a 2020 that makes more sense.

• Administrators

I feel really sorry to write this blog post after all Panasonic have done for us over the years.

GH1, GH2, GH4, GH5, GH5S, S1, S1H, LX100, a long stream of affordable 4K cameras and a big commitment to enthusiasts and filmmakers!

But recently I feel they are making absolutely bone-headed decisions. Who is responsible?

Thoughts on Panasonic G100 – Why they got it so VERY wrong https://www.eoshd.com/news/thoughts-on-panasonic-g100-why-they-got-it-so-very-wrong/

39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I feel really sorry to write this blog post after all Panasonic have done for us over the years.

GH1, GH2, GH4, GH5, GH5S, S1, S1H, LX100, a long stream of affordable 4K cameras and a big commitment to enthusiasts and filmmakers!

But recently I feel they are making absolutely bone-headed decisions. Who is responsible?

Thoughts on Panasonic G100 – Why they got it so VERY wrong https://www.eoshd.com/news/thoughts-on-panasonic-g100-why-they-got-it-so-very-wrong/

The LX100ii and G95 were legitimately the most I've ever been disappointed by camera announcements. They were such easy home runs, I couldn't imagine Panasonic striking out on them. 

I really, really hope this isn't a sign of things to come from Panasonic.