The New Panasonic G100 “vlogging” Camera to launch June 24th

Video Hummus

Sony must be pissing themselves with laughter.

There are plenty of already more than good enough cameras suitable for the tiny number of vloggers in existence so why all this focus on this minuscule market?

Make shit products 99% of people don’t want or need and no one is going to buy your stuff.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

There are plenty of already more than good enough cameras suitable for the tiny number of vloggers in existence so why all this focus on this minuscule market?

Make shit products 99% of people don’t want or need and no one is going to buy your stuff.

Tiny number of vloggers?

This camera sucks beyond belief lol. Camera conspiracies hit the nail on the head.

One of the best features that Pana has is IBIS, especially for vlogging and they removed it lmao. 10 bit is another great feature, really puts the image quality ahead. But they don't include that either... Plus it sounds like it doesn't have the auto focus features of the G9, which is also pretty essential for vlogging. 

Just get a G9. 

Between this and Olympus's announcement today, my first instinct was to wonder whether Panasonic was just throwing together a bunch of old parts into a new camera body so that they can use up their inventory ahead of abandoning the lower-end m4/3 market, if not m4/3 as a whole.

But then you look at the number of clearly bespoke parts such as the EVF and microphone array, and I'm really not sure exactly what Panasonic's thought process was when they put this thing together.

• Administrators

It seems Panasonic did not get their research right on this one

10 min limit in 4K for YouTubers... So that rules it out for monologues, interviews, live events, shows, a lot of YouTube content basically.

4K crop... On a camera for YouTubers who need wide angles for self shooting.

No phase-detect AF like the Sony rival. YouTubers need reliable AF.

No 5 axis IBIS. YouTuber's need IBIS.

May as well use a G95.

I was kinda hoping this would be a great little camera for live music (pub and club gigs), something I think the new little Sony will also be good for but nah, this will quickly disappear for most people with just the odd post on various forums saying how someone surprisingly likes it.

Guess I will stick to my A7s as my main camera and just look for a older gen Rx100 (iv or v) as my pocket camera or wait until I can get a cheap ZV1 to try.     For vloggers (not me) Sony 1 Pansonic nil I think.

4 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

Between this and Olympus's announcement today, my first instinct was to wonder whether Panasonic was just throwing together a bunch of old parts into a new camera body so that they can use up their inventory ahead of abandoning the lower-end m4/3 market, if not m4/3 as a whole.

But then you look at the number of clearly bespoke parts such as the EVF and microphone array, and I'm really not sure exactly what Panasonic's thought process was when they put this thing together.

I’m also a bit worried. They went to build a vlogging camera and almost missed every important mark to hit.

You can forgive them for the AF as they are doing the best they can with their tech, but the record limit in 4K, the crop, and no IBIS? Very, very strange.

A upgraded LX100 II would have made much more sense especially with the new sound tech, and flip screen, and it’s wonderful 24-75 f1.7-2.8 lens.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Speaking of which, Amazon and a few high street shops like Currys and John Lewis are now selling them for £499.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DC-G90EB-K-Digital-Single-Mirrorless/dp/B07R5NVK9S

Absolutely insane pricing. Crop in 4K mode, no 10bit, but other than that practically a GH5.

A used G9 or Fuji X-H1 strikes me as a bargain around £650 as well.

13 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

10 min 4k limit

Good grief, you've got to be kidding, that is Canon cripple hammer level of insanity to do this in late 2020

12 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

They also have a m43 raw-shooting cine camera for the same price(ish) as this camera. I know it's different markets, but jeez.

Uses the older GH4 sensor though, and no screen or EVF etc

11 hours ago, MrSMW said:

You greatly underestimate the size of the YouTuber/vlogger market. 
Just look at the surveys of people asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?". This is always top ranked, sometimes even #1!

Additionally YouTubers/vloggers have a huge impact upon the non-vlogger market, as they're the ones producing reviews, showcasing what they use, and getting views. They have a big big influence if you can capture this market. Can make for lots of free advertising for your brand. 

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

This camera sucks beyond belief lol. Camera conspiracies hit the nail on the head.

One of the best features that Pana has is IBIS, especially for vlogging and they removed it lmao. 10 bit is another great feature, really puts the image quality ahead. But they don't include that either... Plus it sounds like it doesn't have the auto focus features of the G9, which is also pretty essential for vlogging. 

Just get a G9. 

However a G9 with a kit lens is roughly double ish the price of a G100 kit. 

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It seems Panasonic did not get their research right on this one

10 min limit in 4K for YouTubers... So that rules it out for monologues, interviews, live events, shows, a lot of YouTube content basically.

4K crop... On a camera for YouTubers who need wide angles for self shooting.

No phase-detect AF like the Sony rival. YouTubers need reliable AF.

No 5 axis IBIS. YouTuber's need IBIS.

May as well use a G95.

You nailed it. 

(although, even if the AF magic is only reliable up to a couple of meters that would still be sufficient for most vloggers/YouTubers. And might as well settle for even a G85 over a G95 as I will eventually do one day)

It really is asanine. They could literally have taken the GX85, just added a mic jack and a flip up screen, and they'd of had a more compelling "vlogging" camera. 

The 4K on the G100 looks so soft, not to mention the crop. 

It really is like Panasonic decided to do the exact opposite of everything that helped them become popular. Remember how insane it was when they released the G7? And how crazier it was when they released the G85, which is STILL an excellent camera almost 4 years later? 

Really can't imagine what they were thinking here. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:
16 hours ago, MrSMW said:

You greatly underestimate the size of the YouTuber/vlogger market. 
Just look at the surveys of people asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?". This is always top ranked, sometimes even #1!

Additionally YouTubers/vloggers have a huge impact upon the non-vlogger market, as they're the ones producing reviews, showcasing what they use, and getting views. They have a big big influence if you can capture this market. Can make for lots of free advertising for your brand. 

In regard to the latter, I agree 100%. This tiny minority (come back to that in a second) are HIGHLY influential, even if most of the so-called 'reviewers' simply quote specs and carry out tests that no one else would actually use the cameras for.

But size of the YouTuber/vlogger market... I have no idea except aware of course that YouTube is HUGE...but what percentage of cameras bought are used for vlogging/YouTubing? I suspect (but stand to be corrected!) that the number is very low. Less than 5%? Probably lower than that.

Yes, all the kidz and yoof say they want to become famous MeTubers, but how many actually even have a channel. It's hilarious how many comments there are on any YouTube post that read, "this iz what I needz imma gonna be starting my own chanel soon". Yes, of course you are dear and I am sure it will be successful because it's just free millionaire lifestyle money for doing next to nothing.

But YouTube/vlogging scepticism aside, this really is a massive turd for such a little camera. It's just more than a bit weird as a business decision. BUT WHAT DO WE KNOW. Maybe it will sell big time to the great unwashed out there, but I suspect with most buying on-line these days and reading reviews, it won't.

37 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Yes, all the kidz and yoof say they want to become famous MeTubers, but how many actually even have a channel. It's hilarious how many comments there are on any YouTube post that read, "this iz what I needz imma gonna be starting my own chanel soon". Yes, of course you are dear and I am sure it will be successful because it's just free millionaire lifestyle money for doing next to nothing.

You underestimate just how much content gets uploaded to YouTube, how many zillions of small channels with only a few thousands of subs (or even just mere hundred, or just dozens) there are.

37 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

In regard to the latter, I agree 100%. This tiny minority (come back to that in a second) are HIGHLY influential

Yes, I don't know of anybody who has purchased a camera without first checking out a YouTube video or three about it at least. 

But even if there are zillions, none of them will make the mistake of buying this Panny.

Or the 5 that do, will package it back up and send it back as soon as it arrives.

Joking aside, I just don't understand why a company of this stature would even contemplate this. It's just bizarre...

1 minute ago, MrSMW said:

Joking aside, I just don't understand why a company of this stature would even contemplate this. It's just bizarre...

It's to make their next release look good in comparison. They have released their high end FF cameras, which could be a little expensive for hobbyists. Now they've released the low-end camera priced for hobbyists but not the right features. Next they'll release a halfway point with just the right features, but a little more expensive than the hobbyist would normally want to spend. Out of the three options, it suits their needs the best, and the price is put into context by the models on either side. It's called the Goldie Locks effect, and every company does it. 

People say its a cripple hammer to protect the high end cameras, but it's not, it's to further sales of the midrange product. 

19 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Yeh theres a fuck ton of vloggers and even more people aspiring to be. Even when you just search for a product review a lot of the time it'll be in a vlog format. And a large percentage of teenagers aspire not to be filmmakers, doctors, bricklayers, but vloggers. 

Panny really missed the boat on this one though. The camera they need to put out is an LX100 with flippy screen, mic jack and new sensor with no 4K crop and better dynamic range.