Sony a6400 HLG3 Footage Pixelations

Karl Laurence

Hi all,

So I've recently got the Sony a6400 specifically for video. Overall happy with it but recently been using the HLG picture profile(and also other PP such as CINE2), and I've noticed these pixelations on motion blurs(seen in the face/arm of subject), these blocks of pixels when they just just be regular motion blurs.

This shot was shot on 800 ISO,  and I just tried to move to create motion blurs. These aren't abrupt movements, they are just regular pans from left to right. 

I was wondering if anyone would know how to fix this, or would this be a SD Card issue or settings related. 

Gear used:

Sony a6400

Sony 18-105 f4

ISO 800

Sandisk Extreme Pro 1280gb  (170MBps) 

Thanks in advance,

Karl

pixelation.jpg

pixelation2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, Karl.

Those look like macroblocking aka compression artifacts.
They usually happen when the video has too low bit rate, which is a common thing with consumer Sony cameras.
And it's not related to your lens, ISO or SD card (since it meets the required write speed).

What video settings did you shoot it with?
Was it 4K 100 Mbps?

Unfortunately, people have been reporting similar issues with their a6400s.
https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/emyrvo/frame_ghosting_w_sony_a6400_what_is_going_on/
https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/dfoqi2/just_got_my_a6400weird_compression_artifacts_not/

Some of them state that this issue only appears when shooting HLG.

Could you try reshooting this with eg. S-Log?

That looks like temporal NR gone wrong.

Don't really look like compression artifact, but could be broken compressor.

By the looks in the quick glance I gave the youtube video it's probably noise reduction. Sony likes to use massive temporal noise reduction to pretend their cameras are good in low light.

In one of the images it looks like ghost teeth on the phone.so it might be broken memory compression or something.

1 hour ago, no_connection said:

That looks like temporal NR gone wrong.

Don't really look like compression artifact, but could be broken compressor.

By the looks in the quick glance I gave the youtube video it's probably noise reduction. Sony likes to use massive temporal noise reduction to pretend their cameras are good in low light.

In one of the images it looks like ghost teeth on the phone.so it might be broken memory compression or something.

It kinda looks like both.
Heavy temporal NR and shitty codec - ingredients for nightmares.

Reason why I would recommend getting Panasonic (S1H received an update), Blackmagic or Canon cameras, but also the Fuji XT4 seems fine when NR and sharpening are turned to lowest.