Self financed $700k sci-fi movie

Anaconda_

I watched The Vastness of the Night... and I'm hoping someone can clarify... was this film really just about the protagonists hearing a sound only to later walk out into a field to see a space ship? Was that it, or did I miss something?
And yeah ok it was the 50's but, the earnestness of the characters had me levelling comic levity insults at the half way mark. Hipster eyewear on the move.
If this film garnered a bunch of raving critical reviews... then the bar has been significantly lowered.
Camera ok, story bah.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, User said:

was this film really just about the protagonists hearing a sound only to later walk out into a field to see a space ship?

Yeah, and The Revenant is about a guy who gets injured and then walks home. 

I feel like you must have missed a lot. While what you say is the premise at its most basic, there are other things going on. Not wishing to give spoilers, the old lady reveals a history that repeats its self, and possibly the reason they’ve come at this moment. As well as why the hipster glasses find what they find and what happens to them afterwards. 

the radio caller reveals military coverups, systemic racism and again a repeated history. 

these things aren’t spelled out in the story, but that’s part of the charm. I like a movie that you can sit with and theories about for a while after it’s ended. 

glad you watched though, I guess we both like different kinds of films. 

5 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I guess we both like different kinds of films. 

All good and I'm happy for you remarking on the film... I guess I  had higher hopes that the director would offer a more original take. It felt as though I'd seen all this in other films....albeit in slightly different ways. And at one point, with all the earnestness, I was actually hoping for some kind of Mars Attacks or Men in Black satirical moment that would take things off a cliff. Ah well.

16 hours ago, User said:

offer a more original take. It felt as though I'd seen all this in other films.

My opinion is that earnest melodrama in sci-fi has a solid place in populist film.  Dumb movies have a better chance to thrive than cerebral as they can reach a broader audience.  Exceptional intelligent stories will endure, but lowest common denominator stuff is a safer financial bet, especially on the low-budget indy side of things.  Fan films are a good indicator of this.  We're now seeing highly crafted indy film work on YouTube, but bland story telling.  Folks seem to love it.   The whole thing where there's 3D rendered super heroes doing nothing but fighting each other for half an hour is a case-in-point.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

My opinion is that earnest melodrama in sci-fi has a solid place in populist film.  Dumb movies have a better chance to thrive than cerebral as they can reach a broader audience.  Exceptional intelligent stories will endure, but lowest common denominator stuff is a safer financial bet, especially on the low-budget indy side of things.  Fan films are a good indicator of this.  We're now seeing highly crafted indy film work on YouTube, but bland story telling.  Folks seem to love it.   The whole thing where there's 3D rendered super heroes doing nothing but fighting each other for half an hour is a case-in-point.

Absolutely, these films have a solid place. But is it possible to move this forward?
Progressive sociologists - and it's where we'd like things to go as doc makers - ask important questions on how we can move our collective selves towards higher states of consciousness through more thought provoking narratives. So in a way, we - though I'm not always so comfortable with this - have a responsibility as filmmakers and programmers.
Or will it always be, as George Steiner puts it, "At the slightest possibility of provocation, the back of us takes over and the bestiality has its fun — which doesn't mean that the front doesn't have its fun also. We are basically a schizophrenic creature, part bestial, part profoundly artistic, cultivated, loving, responsive and so on." ;)