Deity D4 DUO - Best Run and Gun On-Camera Mic?

Dave Maze

I actually helped develop this mic over a year ago when I had a meeting with Andrew from Deity. I was sharing how I really hated how muffled audio sounded when talking behind camera for vlogs. I wanted a solution and they delivered. Not only does the mic have two mics on it... but you get an input that allows for a lav or other audio source to feed into your camera or recorder. The Rode Wireless GO is perfect for it and can clip right onto the Rycote mount. 

Just wanted to share these vids with you guys. Jeven and I are the only people who have posted hands on reviews so far... IDK if we are the only ones who got them or what... but this $89 mic is well worth the $$ in my opinion. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, FranciscoB said:

Don't want to sound like a dick but what's with the picture covers on youtube? Everybody does the same thing. Funny face and the product smashed in front of it. Is there an agreement on this or just an established trend?

lol no offense taken. I understand. I’ve texted this myself and statistically I get higher click through rate when my face is on the thumbnail as well as when there is a more intense expression. It doesnt translate well here because the image is so large... but on a youtube home feed it can help make your video stand out. 

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

It works.  I hate it and I refuse to click on baity videos, I can't stand it.

I'll have to check this mic out, sounds interesting.  I love my ride video micro, sounds so good for what it is.

Correct it works. I’m sorry you hate it. YouTube is filled with a bunch of adhd tweens who just click on the first shiny thing they see. 

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

Nice idea. Was just about to buy a Rode Videomicro but this looks an even better option for 30€ more.

Ya it really is. It gives you a lot of extra flexibility for a marginal difference in price. 

Great video Dave. I like the review format with examples of using its features for real world stuff. Never stop doing your quirky humor.

I want a Deity Stereo mic that competes with the RODE Stereo Videomic X with an adjustable gain knob, internal long lasting battery, and some of that excellent Deity innovation. Especially if it matches the Videomic X’s surprisingly good isolation and wind capsule.

Stereo audio is a sleeper technology in a mono vlogger mic world.

Cool product.

It would be good if the dual-mono mode just using the front mic could also be used where one of the channels attenuated so it was a safety track, but I guess for the average user it makes sense this way so it's plug and play for fast delivery.  It certainly fixes a number of issues with existing offerings.

Also, @Dave Maze is hilarious! Nice work on the review :) 

Am glad that Deity exists, as they're pushing Rode to innovate and improve themselves. I kinda half doubt if Rode would have put out as many or as interesting new products recently if not for Deity. 

And of course Deity isn't standing still either, Rode plays catch up and gets ahead, but then Deity strikes back with their new products. 

Feel like the last few years has been some of the most exciting times there has been for low budget but semi-professional audio products!

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am glad that Deity exists, as they're pushing Rode to innovate and improve themselves. I kinda half doubt if Rode would have put out as many or as interesting new products recently if not for Deity. 

And of course Deity isn't standing still either, Rode plays catch up and gets ahead, but then Deity strikes back with their new products. 

Feel like the last few years has been some of the most exciting times there has been for low budget but semi-professional audio products!

Agreed. I reckon we'd still only have the videomic pro if it wasn't for that.