The Big EOSHD interview: Metabones lens adapters

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Nikkor said:

It would be nice if they could release a 0.58x speed booster for Hasseblad lenses to Sony E mount.

Maybe Brian can chime in here, but I can't see such glass would fit FE-mount! Even for a micro four thirds sensor the 0.58x BMPCC Speed Booster glass extends a long way into the camera and almost touches the sensor.

9 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Great I hadn't even heard of that 17-35 Zeiss and now I want one BAD. Also given it's performance and lack of vinyette maybe it would work mounted on the GFX100 andrew?

This was the first thought that went through my mind when Bo-Ming mentioned it.

There are none on eBay apart from in Japan at the moment. And they're not cheap :)

Will have a look in my Berlin haunts and see if one turns up. Contax N glass is generally quite rare.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe Brian can chime in here, but I can't see such glass would fit FE-mount! Even for a micro four thirds sensor the 0.58x BMPCC Speed Booster glass extends a long way into the camera and almost touches the sensor.

This was the first thought that went through my mind when Bo-Ming mentioned it.

There are none on eBay apart from in Japan at the moment. And they're not cheap :)

Will have a look in my Berlin haunts and see if one turns up. Contax N glass is generally quite rare.

KEH has one for a grand. 

Anyway excellent interview Andrew, great to get insight into their process. Excited to see the results of this new booster for FUJI and the sigma CINE info was fascinating. 

As far as I know, they are both Zeiss Planar designs, not certain of the differences, other than autofocus on the Contax N.

I used to have the C/Y 85/1.4 as well, but I had a LOT of lenses stolen at one time, it hurt me a lot.

Sure would like to have another copy, I seem to remember liking, and using it a lot.

On 6/18/2020 at 3:14 AM, buggz said:

Wow !! Very different indeed ! That N version seems like an excellent piece of optical engineering ! Do not let that one go ! It would be very cool to compare results and differences between the 2 of them !

On 6/20/2020 at 3:00 AM, PannySVHS said:

Hmm, would second that for a L to Mamiya 645 mount. Please! That would give the Kipon Baveyes some good companionship or not.:)

Yes, with autofocus chip, so I can use my Phase One lenses for video. This would make a very good adapter for professionals who use phase one cameras, as phase one is so kind to NOT OFFER VIDEO!!!!

@Brian Caldwell

Excited to hear about the promising EF-FX adaptors for Fuji.

Recently got my XT-4 and have been sitting on a big fence about what route to go in terms of adaptor for my EF glass. So far I'm just throwing a €20 dumb adaptor on and only using ND filters to stop down. The 'dumbness' of the adapter is also an advantage in letting me input the focal length for IBIS myself on the XT4. I set it to a shorter focal length than the real one and that seems to tame the overzealous, grabby IBIS stepping a lot. (and I avoid EIS and IS Boost too. Just use regular IBIS)

I wasn't sure whether to get the Fringer II (not a focal reducer but great autofocus and fewer compatibility bugs, IBIS still works) or the Viltrox (x0.71 would be cool for my fixed aperture EF zoom lenses, but AF-C isn't reported to be so usable as the Fringer, and I had terrible problems getting IBIS to function previously when using this adapter on an XH1...)

Metabones x0.71 ef-fx could be best of both worlds. But at twice the price 😢

Anyone here bought in on an existing Ef adapter (speedbooster or otherwise) for Fuji and have thoughts? I know the specs, just don't know real world performance and all... Youtube videos didn't answer all my questions, especially still lack of testing with XT4 out there vs other FX models

edit: The only EF lenses I really plan on using are my
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AF (APS-C lens but I use the Fuji 1.29 crop modes so often that I could still focal reduce this and use the full range, anyway just zooming up to 13mm or so is no problem when there's vignette)
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 AF (full frame lens so I can speedboost away and never an issue)

Meike 85mm f/1.8 AF (full frame, barely used this yet and tbh it's a nightmare for the XT4 IBIS to handle in video anyway)

I dislike lens OIS' look as a video shooter so really don't need EF glass nor an EF adapter that allows lens OIS