The Big EOSHD interview: Metabones lens adapters

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Fuji-X-T4-EOSHD-scaled.jpg

Metabones recently announced the long-awaited Canon EF mount Speed Booster Ultra for Fuji X, which will be one of the must-have accessories for X-T4 owners. This will have support for phase-detect AF and incorporates Caldwell Optics advanced 5-element ultra-high index tantalum optics. The Caldwell Optics focal reducer remains the best you can get. In this 

New blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/the-big-eoshd-interview-metabones-lens-adapters/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

L-Mount crop-fixing booster? Yeah I think they’re right to skip that particular one.

However....

L-Mount medium format booster? Now there’s a different story. A Netflix-approved mirrorless camera that bites at the heels of IMAX 15/70 imaging size? Yes please and thank-you! 

In the words of Futurama’s Bender, “I’ll shoot my own Dunkirk, with blackjack and hookers!”

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

L-Mount medium format booster? Now there’s a different story. A Netflix-approved mirrorless camera that bites at the heels of IMAX 15/70 imaging size? Yes please and thank-you! 

In the words of Futurama’s Bender, “I’ll shoot my own Dunkirk, with blackjack and hookers!”

Kipon's Baveyes reducers are available in SL mount for Mamiya 645, Pentax 645, Hasselblad V and Pentax 6x7

https://www.adorama.com/l/Photography/Lenses/Kipon~Lens-Mount-Adapters?sel=Camera-Fitting-lrbr-Male-rrbr_Leica-L

I'd probably expect a review of the Mamiya 645 version on here before long by @Andrew Reid 

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

L-Mount crop-fixing booster? Yeah I think they’re right to skip that particular one.

Aside from the obvious of the Leica APS-C cameras, I think they'd also find a home (mine being one ;) ) for using with the original SL which is crop in 4K.

The challenge would be how to deal with Leica repelling all boarders when it comes to electronic control of adapted lenses , including those from their own L mount alliance partners!

36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Kipon's Baveyes reducers are available in SL mount for Mamiya 645, Pentax 645, Hasselblad V and Pentax 6x7

https://www.adorama.com/l/Photography/Lenses/Kipon~Lens-Mount-Adapters?sel=Camera-Fitting-lrbr-Male-rrbr_Leica-L

I'd probably expect a review of the Mamiya 645 version on here before long by @Andrew Reid 

Yes, I’m aware of the Kipon! I’ll be holding out a while longer to see if Metabones offers a comparable product. From the limited review knowledge out there, the Kipon is very good but not without distortion. 

I also have extreme respect for Metabones’ locking mount variants. It doesn’t matter how good your optics are if the adapter wiggles, and a locking mount aim the adapter is the only way to guarantee full stability.

35 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Ah, OK.

Apologies.

No biggie! The Kipon is definitely an awesome piece of kit! When it comes to putting extra glass behind already top-notch lenses, it seems only appropriate to go with the highest quality option, which is undeniably still Metabones... even considering how much better the offerings of other booster brands have gotten.

Anyone not looking to chase the LF look obsessively is almost certainly better served by a fast native lens in whichever format they’re using. 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Ah, OK.

Apologies.

You rascal, I introduced the Kipon Baveyes to this forum. Bow your head to the king of this very post. I am also king of this sentence!

@Andrew Reid, thank you for asking about the L-mount Speedbooster. Would love one for the 4K crop. Like androidlad stated, would be best to have one with stronger focal reduction thant the 0.71 version. That way speedboosted APSC would perfectly fit the full sensor FOV. Would also be interested to see the maximum image circle of FF lenses.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

When it comes to putting extra glass behind already top-notch lenses, it seems only appropriate to go with the highest quality option, which is undeniably still Metabones... even considering how much better the offerings of other booster brands have gotten.

I've got quite a few Metabones products and don't disagree necessarily but its difficult to be definitive in this particular case when they don't make a comparable medium format reducer product for any format.

It would be good if Metabones did provide Baveyes with some competition for these products as the price is pretty steep in Europe at least, though whether this price reflects it being a thus far niche product or Kipon having a monopoly is up for debate.

I've seen quite a few reviews of the Baveyes MF reducers on Sony A series cameras but not on the SL but I think someone on here has done some stuff with one on an S1 or S1H but I can't remember what thread its in.

The one Andrew has is actually mine (long story!) so I'm looking forward to seeing how it fares once this COVID-19 travel situation eases and we can meet up on a bridge somewhere in Berlin and do the hostage exchange for the Contax Zeiss lens of his that I'm holding :) 

2 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

You rascal, I introduced the Kipon Baveyes to this forum. Bow your head to the king of this very post. I am also king of this sentence!

Ah, OK

Apologies.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've got quite a few Metabones products and don't disagree necessarily but its difficult to be definitive in this particular case when they don't make a comparable medium format reducer product for any format.

It would be good if Metabones did provide Baveyes with some competition for these products as the price is pretty steep in Europe at least, though whether this price reflects it being a thus far niche product or Kipon having a monopoly is up for debate.

I've seen quite a few reviews of the Baveyes MF reducers on Sony A series cameras but not on the SL but I think someone on here has done some stuff with one on an S1 or S1H but I can't remember what thread its in.

It would be amazing if Metabones did a speedbooster to compete with the Kipon ones, but ideally made it 0.64x or 0.58x to make better use of the 645 imaging circle. The current price of the SL to Mamiya 645 version isn't that bad in Amazon UK, compared to the prices on ebay at least (where you have to order from China). Here it is: https://amzn.to/3dOKTUK

The test I did with the Kipon on the S1H is in the thread below. I mentioned the speedbooster was a bit soft with the Mamiya 80mm wide open at f1.9, but have since discovered that it's actually the lens that is soft, not the speedbooster:

I really dig the interviews you managed to do in the last couple of weeks, Andrew.
It feels good to read some solid material, not only rumors.

And all those people (Bo-Ming, Stephan from Leica, hopefully more to come?) seem to be great personas.
Humble, modest, but still realizing how impactful their companies are and how their decisions may affect us, customers, especially nowadays when brand loyalty is no longer a big thing.