Canon C100 mkii LCD issue

Matthew_Lawrence

Hi,

I often use my C100 mkii on a glidecam and rotate the LCD screen so that it is flat against the back of the camera (a bit like a DSLR with a fixed screen). Recently I’ve noticed that the LCD screen occasionally goes completely black for a second or two and then comes on again. 

This is only something that has recently started happening and only happens when the LCD screen is in the position I described. The problem is intermittent. 

Has anyone had this issue before or know what could be causing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

P.S: I have had my C100 mkii for a few years now so it is out of warranty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the same problem with my C100 II. It got worse over time and it will stay black now in that position.
Found out it has to do with the "rotation sensor" inside the LCD (that triggers a screen mirror when rotating it).
It will not detect anymore that it is rotated and will think it is in closed position (thus turning off the LCD).
I think there is some kind of micro switch that is triggered with rotating that has wear off inside the hinge.
One of these days I'm going to open up the LCD panel to try and repair this issue.

• 9 months later...

Okay, got time to finally repair the LCD rotation problem on my C100 II.
Where the screen rotates is a small plastic cover you can take of by removing 2 screws.
Inside you find a small PCB with a micro switch on attached with a wire on a plastic mount.
Pop off the PCB from the mount and replace the micro switch.
You can find a new one on aliexpress/ebay/etc.
Search "new orientation switches lcd screen rotation Canon EOS 750D / Kiss X8i / Rebel T6i, EOS 760D, ..."
Some soldering skills are required to remove and solder a new one.
Try not to heat up the switch to much or the plastic inside of switch will melt breaking it!

• 3 months later...

I just had my C100 mkii fixed today!! It is corrosion on the orientation sensor

You need to unscrew this part on the image.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4206804949396212&set=p.4206804949396212&type=3

And spray corrosionX on top of the orientation sensor

This is what the sensor looks like.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4206808566062517&set=p.4206808566062517&type=3

I took to a camera fixer here in Rio de Janeiro, he dismantled the LCD off and the part indicated on the drawing I sent earlier, then he sprayed corrosionX on this small sensor and it is now fixed.

I actually bought the spare part on eBay (as @Avenger 2.0 kindly indicated), but the technician said it wasn’t needed. Apparently after a few years this small sensor gets a bit of corrosion and starts acting funny. The camera works 100% but the flip screen doesn’t know it was flipped so it turns off when you press it against the camera body.

If you are afraid to fix it, there is a company on US that charged 250 USD to fix it. Their email is
videocamrepair@gmail.com

• 1 year later...

Hi Leandro,

I purchased corrosion X, however, I can’t see any of the photos that you posted from your link, I’m hoping to get my C100 MKII’s screen fission issue fixed, like yours, but haven’t been able to access the Facebook link.

Is there anyway you could repost those photos here or send you links to them?

Thank you.