Canon 1D X Mark III Review // Filmmaking, video and cinema camera. Get the Fuji X-T4 instead?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I am having problems with the jog wheel on my 1D X Mark III popping every full 360 degree rotation, so there is a mechanical problem there and my body will be returned for a refund and so this is only a short review.

This review also marks a milestone for EOSHD! After 10 years of blog posts, I am going to be doing YouTube now as well! Looking forward to doing MANY a video and growing the channel in a big way. If you'd like to be interviewed, or featured on the channel, do let me know.

So the 1D X Mark III then...

https://www.eoshd.com/review/canon-1d-x-mark-iii-review-filmmaking-video-and-cinema-camera-get-the-fuji-x-t4-instead/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Just noticed how Canon announced the camera...

https://sg.canon/en/consumer/the-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-uncompromised-photo-video-performance/news

Canon Announces the EOS-1D X Mark III, Built for Uncompromised Photo and Video Performance

Why does Canon think uncompromised video performance means 32ms rolling shutter and no AF in full frame 60p?

I think they are taking us for granted.

Reality check on hybrid FF camera RS that can do at least 10bit:

1Dx III 5.5k and 4k 50-60fps, 16ms

SH1 4k, 24.2ms

GFX100, 28ms

SH1 6k, 29.7ms

1Dx III 5.5k and 4k , 32ms

I'm I missing other 10bit hybrid cameras?

Bottom-line currently on FF you get a bad rolling shutter with any 10bit camera.....

The only frustration is why if you put in MF the sensor cannot switch to 16ms as in 60fps......

Bang for your buck,  at least until the Canon R5 comes out, I can’t see past the XT4.

Or for my needs, XT3 actually which is now stupidly priced for the spec and not just on paper spec, but real world ability.

I’m just waiting for my industry (weddings) to restart and will be picking up another pair for hybrid use.

If it’s 2021...which it may well be, then probably XT4, but then the XH2 should be making an appearance.

But for; ‘content creators’, wedding videographers, hybrid shooters and ‘serious prosumers’ (for want of a better) term, XT3/4/Z6/EOSR/S1/GH5/A7iii, what more do we really need?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Reality check on hybrid FF camera RS that can do at least 10bit:

1Dx III 5.5k and 4k 50-60fps, 16ms

1D X III 5.5K and 4K 24p - 32ms

SH1 4k, 24.2ms

What about the 60p modes?

GFX100, 28ms

SH1 6k, 29.7ms

I'm I missing other 10bit hybrid cameras?

Yes

Leica SL2 full frame 10bit

Panasonic S1 V-LOG 10bit 4K upgrade

X-T4 with Speed Booster full frame 10bit

X-T3 ditto

X-Pro 3 ditto

Blackmagic 6K with Magic Booster

Blackmagic 4K with Metabones

And quite a lot of hybrid 10bit cameras out there going all the way back to GH5 and GH5S.

All much less rolling shutter than 32ms.

Bottom-line currently on FF you get a bad rolling shutter with any 10bit camera.....

No not true.

SL2 and S1 for a start. I wouldn't consider full frame 10bit on these to have bad rolling shutter.

Not compared to the 1DX III in 24p 10bit full frame, same settings.

And they both have higher resolution sensors, which you'd think would make the RS worse.

I think the xt4 still has a fair few compromises as well. The af is not class leading and you can't rely on it like you can with the Canons and Sony. The thing about autocus is there is not really any degrees of effectiveness to it in terms of real world use. Either you can rely on the autofocus in a shoot or not. I think it falls into the latter category and I would only use it on a casual basis. The ibis is still jerky and warpy and gives away a lot to the Canon's DIS. The new r5 should have the benefit of both. The 8k rs in the r5 will be horrendous no doubt but if the 4k modes are good this discussion becomes moot. The 8k is a marketing label. 

• Administrators

So the X-T4 has DIS as well. DIS has been around since the NX1 in quite an effective form, but it actually tends to impact on the image more than IBIS in terms of the artificial look and warping. The only thing that needs updating with IBIS on the X-T4 is the addition of some kind of artificial intelligence that recognises human camera work and tells the system not to fight against it. As it stands, the IBIS will occasionally prevent smooth intentional pans and tilts. So in that case, you can turn it off and use a tripod or an OIS lens. A lot of people's results are impacted from having IS Mode Boost enabled as well, and expecting a virtual gimbal. Actually, the boost mode is meant for completely locked down shots, not movement.

The autofocus is very reliable indeed in my experience so far. A big step forward from the X-T3. I noticed plenty of occasions testing it vs the 1D X Mark III where it actually outperformed it. The 1D X Mark III would actually miss.

The real choice when the R5 comes out will be the R5 or A7S III?

I think Sony is waiting to top it in a big way.

By then there may also be a GH6 and X-H2.

So let's not put all our camera potatoes in one Canon shaped basket.

I'm sorry Andrew but I'm going to have to report you to the authorities.  Your article is misleading in that it features a young, attractive Caucasian woman that does not fully reflect the diversity of Manchester. 

You should know better.  Be more inclusive next time.

Get the Manchester Experience.

Live it.  Learn it.  Love it.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/experience/

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The real choice when the R5 comes out will be the R5 or A7S III?

I think Sony is waiting to top it in a big way.

By then there may also be a GH6 and X-H2.

So let's not put all our camera potatoes in one Canon shaped basket.

Well I think you can exclude the GH6, X-H2 and the XT4 as they are not full frame camera's. If im buying a hybrid camera, its a full frame, as 90% of my lenses are ff. I think very few people are changing lenses, unless they are just starting out. 
And for me the EF or RF mount is a huge plus. (but if I invested in Sony glass in the past it might be different, but I think the userbase lenses is still mainly hugely EF atm though)

• Administrators

I think people will eventually get bored of shooting with the same narrow set of EF lenses.

But the big advantage they have is the cross-camera compatibility.

A huge plus over mirrorless lenses.

Great take, the 1dx3 is an amazing package with its class leading spec, wish it was mirrorless and had a flippy screen and IBIS. People love to be on the bash Canon bandwagon, but the S1h can't do internal raw or competent AF. Its really an amazing achievement.

RS is the big drawback to FF hybrids, I'm really curious what the R5 has in store as well. The a9 is the only FF sensor that basically eliminated RS, but Sony hit it with the cripple hammer from every direction on the video side - and their processors don't seem to cope with heat all that well. IMO that's why it doesn't have 4k60p. It would have made sense on that model since its positioned as a 1dx killer.

But we do know the R5 does 20fps with the E-shutter like the a9 and the 8k is up to 30p. Rolling shutter shouldn't be any worse than the others that sit around 30ms, its more tolerable for me with a IBIS body. I shot plenty with the a6300 and its jello-vision, I'm really not worried about the R5 as much as some. Then there's price - but CR says it'll be below $4k. My credit card is waiting for the July announcement.

Chris

• Administrators

https://***URL not allowed***/canon-1d-x-mark-iii-review-and-sample-footage/

Here is the number of times Cinema5D mentioned rolling shutter in their 1DX3 review:

ZERO

Thanks to whoever calls it out in the comments...

This is YET ANOTHER example of a reviewer trying to get into a camera company's knickers.

It fucking sickens me.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 17.11.53.png

Somewhere a hipster laughs and another customer gets ripped off.

BarneyBritton_32_590.jpg

I know I will get flamed 😂

But to be fair he is pointing out that they will get a camera to test the RS and DR as they do with many cameras. Until it is done and published is just a fate thing but at least it seems there is the intention.
It could be that without you this would not have happened so you have a point, although the RS was not measured by you but by slashcam.

You also mention that you don't see a RS issue with the GFX 100 and yet it seems to have a RS of 28ms (all to be validate by multiple source ideally)...... somebody could argue the same no?

You did not measure RS on the GFX 100, he did not on the 1Dx III. Other have done it, you trust some others trust others etc..

image.png.cf22c6c48c5cbc9ddd3369102f82a548.png

There are not many site left that really test RS and DR and yes we can argue for hours that the tests are not perfect but as they have some consistency is better than nothing.

We should glad that there is some kind of "conflict/competition"  between you guys as it pushes you to really check all the details.....  😉

• Administrators

Honestly I am past caring

I don't care what your opinion is

I do not like the guy and that is that.

You are no longer welcome to spam the forum full of links to rival sites.

How about making your own tests? Your own content? Anyone can surf the web.

I haven't been on this forum very long but I've pretty much worked out you don't really seem to like anyone from your rival sites (wasn't very difficult to be honest...). Is there actually anyone who you do like?  If there is, their publication should probably be high up on the reading list ;)