RED and the Art of Rancid Fabulism

sanveer

After hyping the Komodo as much as the Hydrogen One project, it suddenly appears to have turned into an exalted and glorified embarrassment. 

"The KOMODO was RED’s answer for creating a much better crash action cam. They wanted to solve a problem at the high end where GoPro wasn’t creating a good enough image to be intercut with other cameras. KOMODO certainly evolved from that original concept, but it still has managed to maintain a small footprint.

Jarred talks about how the KOMODO evolved over the years because the technology wasn’t available back when they first started developing it. He also tells viewers that 'he doesn’t see the point in releasing the full specifications of the camera until you can actually buy it. RED didn’t want to over or under promise what they could deliver by publishing specifications before everything on the camera was finalized'. While I get it, the camera is shipping to select people so I see no reason why the specifications can’t be released."

This entire explanation seems both apologetic and like some form of cover-up, much like the Hydrogen One project. 

Bathos, at its finest. 

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/06/06/red-komodo-qa/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, kye said:

Sounds like they set out to build a camera for a specific task without first phoning up the camera store to see if one existed already.

They knew it existed... but they also knew that their crazed fan base would buy whatever they release.

Red are kind of like Jeep. They beat everyone else with their original products - one of the first of it's kind - then cashed in on their reputation and started selling overpriced, unreliable products, but with very focused marketing. 

5 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

Red are kind of like Jeep. They beat everyone else with their original products - one of the first of it's kind - then cashed in on their reputation and started selling overpriced, unreliable products, but with very focused marketing. 

I don't know where your reasoning comes from ... but I don't agree that the FCA builds reliable machines ....

On 6/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, kye said:

If someone wanted something smaller than an Alexa, cheap enough to crash and better image quality than a gopro then they could have just bought a BMPCC or BMMCC.

Sounds like they set out to build a camera for a specific task without first phoning up the camera store to see if one existed already.

RED carries on life denying that BMD exists!
(but then again they don't acknowledge Kinefinity either eh?)

I genuinely can't believe people that got burned by the Hydrogen are lining up (and crazy excited judging by some comments on IG and elsewhere) to get the Komodo just because they're offering it at a $1000 discount for the suckers that paid for the Hydrogen. You even have Jarred is demo-ing a remote control app on an iPhone. Fool me once...

Chri

There may be another aspect to the fawning ...

Those who are up for all the new stuff ... stay near the head of the line ... express criticism ... no matter how warranted ... and you

better have a good relationship with B&H because you will be an outcast at R..

No joy for those who called the Emperor's New Clothes ....

So cast a few shillings at the altar to stay in line ... never know when the killer device will surface.

But honestly the Komodo ... while I prefer my Primo grill ... looks like a good addition to the RED non-eco system.

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Z-CAM also evolved from action cameras. The company was founded on Go Pro type cameras.

I think they did 360 and VR cameras first, although they did make the E1 a smaller M4/3 camera before their current E2 range.

3 hours ago, Leica50mm said:

This post  must be that Ed David guy in hidden disguise. He has a freaky weird hatred of red .

Must be... I mean what reason could anyone have for being skeptical of, or not liking the RED company.

11 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

You basically have to be close to the owner to even get on the list

Are you sure it's not Jeffrey Epstein instead of James Jannard here, that you're talking about??? 😂

I am guessing you and Jannard are on buddy nicknames. Elena and Johny, perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Elagabalus said:

have never owned a RED, I am not registered on REDUser and I have never been in any contact with Jarred Land (the current owner of RED Digital Cinema) or Jim Jannard (the former owner of RED Digital Cinema). 

You have no idea about the concept of ownership and management of a company (or any other organisation).

1 hour ago, Elagabalus said:

What has RED done to hurt you? They must have done something since you are so comfortable making jokes about a pedophile who trafficked children for sex when referring to the company. 

I wasn't making fun of Red or anyone there. I was making fun of the name thrower. The one who claimed that one has 'to be close to the owner to even get on the list'.