A bomb has landed - GFX 100 Ninja V

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

EZrIHACWkAA1VzA.jpeg

EZrIHDFXkAAmZ1t.jpeg

Never been the huge fan of external monitors or HDMI cables that everyone else seems to be :)

Well I have changed my mind.

It's a U-turn bigger than any Boris-led government is capable of.

It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

But it just feels so much better balanced on a larger, heavier camera than it does on a small mirrorless camera. The cage is excellent as well (SmallRig). Very generous to charge £120 for a cage that fits a $10,000 camera. LockCircle would have changed $20,000.

If only they would route the video feed up through the smart hot-shoe like they do for the EVF.

Cable is ZILR, by an ex-Atomos Brooke-Benton Smith.

Monitor mount is also SmallRig. That bit was £35.

It's a pity the camera wasn't £35.

But this is a 5 year investment for me... Can't see there being much like this coming out!

Now to test the ProRes....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Now, for the next five years you might wanna buy that kippon speedbooster from fuji to Pentax 645 for the ultimate medium format look, giving you approximately 60mm equivalent of sensor width and 46mm in height. Thats 645 digital medium format for the next five years!:)

• Administrators

Here is the ZOOM MASTER!

EWz9wsgX0AIFOUR.jpeg

No vignette.

Here is the Minolta A mount 85mm F1.4. Truly beautiful with the larger sensor.

In full frame terms, the image is a 68mm F1.1 with that.

If we really want to get into Kubrick NASA territory though we pop the Canon FD 85mm F1.2L on there.

68mm F0.95

EYp-EcyWoAMsVhe.jpeg

I think I have that right anyway.

* 0.8x vs full frame?!

Or is it even larger? (44 x 33)

5 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Now, for the next five years you might wanna buy that kippon speedbooster from fuji to Pentax 645 for the ultimate medium format look, giving you approximately 60mm equivalent of sensor width and 46mm in height. Thats 645 digital medium format for the next five years!:)

Oh yeah forgot about that. I want one!

However the fast sensors on medium format compared to P645 glass really give you the "even larger" sensor look anyway.

F4 on speed booster on 44 x 33 or full frame F1.2 on 44 x 33?

The F1.2 would look more 3D I think.

f2.8 on speedbooster on 44x33 I would assume. More creamyness possibly due to lens construction and glass. Flickr might provide some great examples. I don´t know if there are third party lenses as well for the Pentax 645 mount. FOV of a 45mm 2.8 would be around 26mm eq. to 35mm FF, DOF eq. of 1.6. Summarized: the 45mm F2.8 on a 645 sensor gives an image like a 26mm f1.6 on 35mm FF. Maybe with tastier attributes and image though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_645#Lenses

Alternative would be the Mamiya focal reducer. That way you could put a 80mm 1.9 on there giving you the eq. of 0.81 x 0.71 x 80mm = 46mm, with 1.1 DOF.

• Administrators

Something like the Pentax 67 105mm F2.4 would be very nice on the Kipon speed booster, but you are still a bit limited in terms of choice of glass compared to all the full frame stuff.

85mm F1.4 tends to cover the 44 x 33 very well and with edge to edge sharpness at F2.0

So there is a limit to what the Speed Booster can do to better that.

I'm still keen to give one a try though. How much are they?

@Andrew Reid 700 each, the Mamiya and the Pentax one. 105mm Pentax sounds like a legendary lens, since there is quiet a bit of legendary glass above 80mm focal length. I might surf flickr a bit now and my evening of lens nerdery is perfect. Just look at the images on Flickr and get a feel for the different lenses, Andrew. Not trying to sound patronizing, just cheering.:) It is way more than just simple math as we know.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Alternative would be the Mamiya focal reducer. That way you could put a 80mm 1.9 on there giving you the eq. of 0.81 x 0.71 x 80mm = 46mm, with 1.1 DOF.

I have the Mamiya 645 Kipon focal reducer for the S1H and the 80mm at f1.9 it's a bit soft and the image seems to glow a bit. I think that might possibly be an issue with the speedbooster not being able to handle fast apertures, rather than the lens. I heard someone else who had the same issue with this combination. You can very briefly see this in the video I shot below, at the 1:20 mins mark, when I open up the aperture to max for a second. It's more noticeable in bright conditions than in low light. f2.8 it's fine though - even around f2.4 it's ok. 

44 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'm still keen to give one a try though. How much are they?

Can't find the Pentax 67 one, but with the Mamiya and Contax ones, linked below, you can add an additional adapter to mount Pentax 67 lenses (and also have the option to use 645 lenses) so it's probably a more versatile option? 

GFX to Mamiya 645: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Adapter-Focal-Reducer-Speedbooster-for-Mamiya-645-Lens-to-Fuji-GFX-Camera-/122599541498

GFX to Contax 645: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Adapter-Focal-Reducer-Speedbooster-for-Contax-645-Lens-to-Fuji-GFX-Camera/333350155153

You may get vignetting on some lenses if using this with the GFX due to speedbooster limitations, however I may be wrong. Alternatively Metabones make a speedbooster for the GFX which definitely won't vignette, but it only takes Hasselblad lenses: https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPHV-FG-BM1

• Administrators

Pentax 67 adapts to Pentax 645 so you just buy that adapter tube, and stick it on the Kipon speed booster.

So there is the Kipon full frame one for S1 and Nikon Z6... I have the Nikon version from them.

And there is the monstrous GFX speed booster for Pentax medium format lenses too

And that's the one I want next

Kipon doing an amazingly wide range of adapters at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Pentax 67 adapts to Pentax 645 so you just buy that adapter tube, and stick it on the Kipon speed booster.

So there is the Kipon full frame one for S1 and Nikon Z6... I have the Nikon version from them.

And there is the monstrous GFX speed booster for Pentax medium format lenses too

And that's the one I want next

I only owned one kipon product so far the EF - MFT adapter, but the aputure ring was so greasy, i was afraid it would stain my lenses. Could be a one off, but dont have good experience with kipon so far.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes they have medium format speedboosters options for nearly every full frame mirrorless camera mount - also Canon RF, Leica M and Sony E. They're not always easy to find online though.

@zerocool22 the build quality of their speedboosters is completely fine and very solid - there are no moving parts on those. The only thing on the Mamiya 645 version is that the lens locking pin has little resistance and the lens could potentially fall out fairly easily if you're not careful. 

13 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I only owned one kipon product so far the EF - MFT adapter, but the aputure ring was so greasy, i was afraid it would stain my lenses. Could be a one off, but dont have good experience with kipon so far.

I had one of the first Kipon EF-MFT adapters and it did not have an aperture ring.     It was terrible until they updated it via firmware and then it was great (especially wit a lens like the 135 f2 L on a GX7 ..for stills anyway).     Non focal reducer adapter. 

Just for information:

I have used my manual Mamiya 645 manual focus lenses on my GFX 50R many times, via Mirex Tilt/Shift EF/M645 adapter, then another adapter for EF/GFX.
Yes, a round about way, but it seems to works okay.  I may get a simpler adapter in the future?
- 120/4 macro works great.
- 35/3.5 N works great.  The 35/3.5 N focuses pretty dang close.
- 80/1.9 N works great.
- 55/2.8 N works great.
- 145/4 Soft Focus works great.

Wished I could afford a GFX100, but being a simple hobbyist, makes it hard...

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Funny, I am used to say and find any CS trace, their character trait beyond the respective camera/manufacturer. Am still able to confirm it.

What is this adding to the topic?

12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What is this adding to the topic?

A Ninja V used as monitor for sure not ; ) What about to increase the codec potentiality to overcome it? Isn't it the reason why you seem to be surrendered now to add an external recorder there and extend the range? Tell me you, then. What for that if not? : -)

• Administrators

Chit chat, in every thread makes it hard for readers to research topics and find info.

so please my appeal to you is find a more useful  way of posting in general...

like the guy with the lenses above

because for every Single interesting post on this damn forum there is your gobbledegook sat right next to it