DPReview forum censors work of frontline riot photographer amidst George Floyd protests

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Let's get this straight. So your contribution to camera nerd land is to bring the place into disrepute on so many occasions you get banned multiple times, but keep creeping back like a virus, even today opening an account only out of vindictiveness to your host, then you expect me to allow all this of course, otherwise it's censorship and hypocricy.

When you get arrested for a theft, do you shout censorship too?

I am not censoring you, I am protecting my property and other users.

Looks like another Trump apologist has come out the woodwork!

Who'll miss you?

You're not "fighting the power" when you're on the side of every Fortune 500 company and media outlet you fucking nerd. You're such a normie but think you're transgressive. You and McDonalds are taking on the man together to stop "racism"! LOLOLOL

You're exactly the kind of virtue signaling, lecturing chode we need less of. You're an obnoxious bully, not a freedom fighter.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well that's a cynical way to look at it. How did you think Steve McCurry started photojournalism? Are you really suggesting there is something wrong with anyone photographing what's going on in their own towns and cities... their own country. If they want to use an ND let them. Let them use anything they like, I don't see the problem with it. You don't know the most important thing - their intention. If some of them are 'tourists' out for social media likes, then so be it... people are people... but you can't tarnish everyone with the same brush.

If you consider the work of Steve McCurry, photojournalism, then the discussion will be complicate.

14 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Yep. Exactly.

The cop is being charged with 2nd degree murder because he killed a man and you’re still trying to defend him, solely for the reason that he’s a white cop! Get the hell out of here with that. He had 18 prior complaints filed against him. 

I am not defending anything, I am pointing out the reality of policing. It would appear that this guy had no business being a cop, but on that day and under the same circumstances I doubt the victim being white or black would have made any difference to the outcome. You want it to be have made a difference because that fits your narrative, but reality is different. If the victim had been white, and all else about the event had been the same, the outcome would have been most likely a wrongful death against the city, it would not have made the news and the cop would have been fired but not charged. All the rest of what is going on right now is because people are trying to fit the incident to a narrative that conforms to their world view.

7 hours ago, Mokara said:

I am not defending anything, I am pointing out the reality of policing. It would appear that this guy had no business being a cop, but on that day and under the same circumstances I doubt the victim being white or black would have made any difference to the outcome. You want it to be have made a difference because that fits your narrative, but reality is different. If the victim had been white, and all else about the event had been the same, the outcome would have been most likely a wrongful death against the city, it would not have made the news and the cop would have been fired but not charged. All the rest of what is going on right now is because people are trying to fit the incident to a narrative that conforms to their world view.

You’re stupid and are racist. 

Andrew you can ban me

5 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

You’re stupid and are racist. 

Andrew you can ban me

Ok, don't let reality interfere with your fantasies then. Call me names if that makes you feel better but you are still wrong. Instead of listening to what other people tell you to think, why not go and look up the statistics yourself? It is all online if you care to look.

To help you out, here are some sources:

Arrests based on crime categories and demographics: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/table-43

Deaths during arrests: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ard0309st.pdf (keep in mind that 60% of arrest related deaths involve an underlying violent crime, so keep that in mind when looking at the first table and considering demographics)

It is pretty clear from the arrest statistics that deaths during arrests closely track arrests overall for all racial groups, with some deviations that can be accounted for by disproportionate involvement in violent crime, where most deaths stem from.

African Americans are disproportionately represented numerically overall because those global statistics don't account for socioeconomic differences. Most street arrests (these are the ones people get killed in) involve communities at the bottom rung of the socioeconomic ladder, and African Americans are twice as likely to be in that category (20% classified as living in poverty versus 10% for other groups). That is why arrests are 2X their share of the population, and, since deaths during arrests closely track arrests overall, why they appear to be being disproportionately being killed during these arrests. The reality is that the chance of this happening to them is no different than for anyone else being arrested. 

Btw, if you think that crime and arrests don't track socioeconomic status, just go to any prison and look at the sorts of people in there - you are not going to find a whole lot of professionals and white collar types in those places.

The reason why you are wrong is that you are looking at the entire population rather than just the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum where most arrests are actually happening. 

People getting killed during arrests reflects a socioeconomic problem, not a racial problem.

• Administrators

I think the bullshit in this topic is putting me in a very difficult position. The original story is about DPReview locking a protest photographer's thread on their forums.

And now this one has died with such ugly bullshit remarks I may have to lock it.

And then people are going to cry hypocrisy.

All I can say is, there is no free speech for racists.