Why does camera (NX1) lose ability to record when connected to external monitor (Feelworld F5)?

Corydharma

I bought the Feelworld F5 monitor so I could have a forward facing monitor for recording YouTube videos.  It seems to work just fine, except some buttons on my camera stop working when the monitor is turned on, INCLUDING THE record button for video and the shutter release.  The menu and playback buttons also stop functioning.  Which all kinda defeats the purpose of having a monitor if it stops the camera from working.

The camera is the Samsung NX1.  The firmware is up to date, and the NX mod has been installed found here https://www.eoshd.com/comments/forum/25-samsung-nx1-nx500-hack/
The monitor is connected using the hdmi to hdmi micro.

The USB Connection setting is set to Remote Access (as opposed to mass storage).

Set to manual, with the 18-200 OIS Samsung lens.  Auto focus on, OIS on.  But I can't see why it would matter.

Any thoughts?  Is there some incompatibility I'm unaware of?  A problem with the camera or monitor?  Am I missing some setting?  I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions of where else to ask/search for answers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use the NX1 with an external monitor all the time and all buttons continue to function. At one time I had a hack installed and didn't have any issues there, I don't remember which one it was and I uninstalled it long ago.

Have you tried with other field monitors? TVs or PC monitors? Is the USB actually connected to anything while you're trying this? I previously found issues with HDMI and USB having issues when using both at the same time. I'd try without a USB cable attached, if you haven't already.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, KnightsFan said:

I use the NX1 with an external monitor all the time and all buttons continue to function. At one time I had a hack installed and didn't have any issues there, I don't remember which one it was and I uninstalled it long ago.

Have you tried with other field monitors? TVs or PC monitors? Is the USB actually connected to anything while you're trying this? I previously found issues with HDMI and USB having issues when using both at the same time. I'd try without a USB cable attached, if you haven't already.

Thank you.  This wasn't the specific issue but it lead me down the right path.  The issue has been solved.  Your suggestion that I hook the camera to my computer monitor to figure out if it was the monitor or the camera helped a lot.  The computer monitor was able to tell me my HDMI output wasn't supported by the monitor.  Which was strange because my computer monitor is way newer than my camera.  When I lowered the HDMI output settings (down to 1920x1080p from 3840x2160 (24p)clean out) of the NX1 when the monitor wasn't plugged in, both the computer monitor and the Feel World F5 became usable and the buttons on the camera became functional.

I had set the HDMI out settings to Clean Out do to a recommendation from youtube, but it turns out that this lowers the functionality of my camera with this monitor.

Thanks for the help.  Hope this helps someone else in the future.

• Administrators

I seem to remember the NX1 did limit controls when connected to a monitor. The firmware updates addressed it only partially.

It is just a video feed via HDMI, it doesn't matter what monitor you use.

To be honest I would use the NX1 without one as it has a great codec and very nice OLED on the back.