1D X III vs EOS R5 and R6

Andrew Reid

In Resolve on a 8GB VRam gpu with 5.5k raw is no problem on a 4k dci timeline but on a 5.5k timeline sometime I get gpu out of memory so I need to be more carful on the nodes.... 8k timeline could be problematic with 8GB Vram with just basic nodes.

I use above 4k timeline to pull pictures and to save a master if I don’t want to keep the original raws to save storage. So not a big issue for me but worth to mentioning.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

More details leaked on the R6.  Unless you need 8K or RAW then this looks like a nice alternative to the R5.

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-more-canon-eos-r6-specifications-cr2/

Canon EOS R6 Specifications: (New information in BOLD)

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
Oversampled 5K Video
4K @ 60p
FullHD @ 120p
Canon Log
10-bit
Zebras
AF identical to the EOS R5
No RAW video mode
Dual SD UHS-II slots
Head detection AF
Animal detection AF
Identical 5 million dot EVF as the EOS R5

No top-down screen
Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
Bluetooth 4.2 (EOS R5 to get Bluetooth 5.0)
LP-E6NH Battery (Same as the EOS R5)
Announcement July 9, 2020
Under $2500 USD (Rumored)

52 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

R6 is definitely starting to look pretty great. Will be an exciting launch, especially with all the new lenses as well. 

The R6 is definitely looking to be a better video buy than R5 - outside of the lack of 4K 120fps. 

I'd say it really depends on what sort of video work the customer is intending to use the camera for. I think the R6 is probably going to be the better pick for most people, especially YouTubers and videographers, but for someone working more in the fields of indie filmmaking or music video might benefit from the 8K RAW/10-bit and the 10-bit 4K 120fps. 

That said, if Canon wind up offering the ability to record ProRes RAW externally via an Atomos recorder for the R6, that'd definitely sweeten the pot for a ton of indie filmmakers.

Either way, I do think the R6 will probably sell well.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:51 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I see where the FPS shows up now. It is around 7fps with Metal. Real-time 24fps / 25fps with OpenCL.

So the problem is Metal.

Not the only problem mind you - there is the H.265 / Fuji shadow clipping issues that make all the files look like trash!

Definitely all needs to be looked into by Blackmagic.

Here ya go you Muppet 

"What's new in DaVinci Resolve 16.2.3

Support for Dolby Vision 4.1 CM algorithm to generate v2.9 trims from v4.

Option to export a Dolby Vision v2.9 XML from a v4 project.

Support for RED SDK 7.3.2.

Faster Metal decoding for Canon EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5 clips."

On 6/18/2020 at 8:11 AM, gt3rs said:

All the 1Dxiii frame rates are 4:2:2 h265 10bit if LOG is ON if LOG is OFF they are 4:2:0 H264.....

Did you check the metadata with a tool ?

Thanks! in Premiere Pro metadate tool? 

17 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

Hmm...must be a bug! Canon 1DX Markiii films everything in 10bit 4:2:2 regardless of resolution from hd to 4k (Log must be enabled) in mov container H265.

Maybe the files you got are 8bit 4:2:0 Is the image flat looking? I cannot test it as i cancelled my adobe sub, dm me i will send u some clips of 120p 4:2:2 😊

Thanks .

16 hours ago, Simon Young said:

I see people are getting excited about the new leaks on the R6, myself included, but until someone tells me how that camera will suffer from less rolling shutter in 4K than the dreadful one on display with the 1dxiii, color me doubtful.

With only 20MP sensor the rolling shutter would be better if it’s a newer generation Canon sensor. 

• Administrators
23 hours ago, ntblowz said:

R6 first photo leak, basically same size as R5 but with mode dial.

This is basically the A7SIII that a lot of people want originally.

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is-the-canon-eos-r5-and-canon-eos-r6-along-with-the-announcement-date/

Less Canon A7S III more Canon Z6!

🥴

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

With only 20MP sensor the rolling shutter would be better if it’s a newer generation Canon sensor. 

Yeah, the earlier rumor said it uses different sensor than 1DXIII, but i guess we will only know once it has been tested.

59 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Canon should counter-troll Sony and push the announcement date after Sony, who moved theirs to after Canon. Imagine an infinite cycle.

haha yeah could only mean 2 things. Its not a A7S III or the specs are not as good as the R5 and want to compete on pricing. 

Any experiences with RF lenses? Most of the RF lenses will probably cost more than the R6. I am wondering if I should just get the ND-filter-adapter and stick with EF glass.

The kit lens 24-105 f 4-7.1 doesn't really excite me. The 35mm 1.8 seems fine, but most of the L-glass is (in my country) around $3000. If the RF glass has some real advantages over EF glass I might get one versatile lens, otherwise I'm tempted to only get the 35mm or maybe not even that.

1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Any experiences with RF lenses? Most of the RF lenses will probably cost more than the R6. I am wondering if I should just get the ND-filter-adapter and stick with EF glass.

The kit lens 24-105 f 4-7.1 doesn't really excite me. The 35mm 1.8 seems fine, but most of the L-glass is (in my country) around $3000. If the RF glass has some real advantages over EF glass I might get one versatile lens, otherwise I'm tempted to only get the 35mm or maybe not even that.

From what I gather, the RF zooms are somewhat better than their EF counterparts. Not overwhelmingly so, though there's obviously a few which don't have EF equivalents such as the 28-70 f2. Primes are where the RF lenses really seem to shine; way better in terms of wide-open sharpness than their EF counterparts.

But yeah, the 24-105 f4-7.1 really doesn't look too hot from the reviews and samples I've seen. A second-hand EF 24-105 f4L connected via the RF adapter would probably be a better option.

5 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Assuming that the LiveView AF is similar to the 1Dx III, EF lens would work very well at least the one that I have. There will be probably a few good used deal for EF and for video with the ND adapter are probably a better value.

The 50 1.2 EF  is small lighter and cheaper than the RF counter part. But the RF is definitely sharper but also almost 3x of a used 50 1.2 
The RF 70-200 is interesting due to the collapsible nature but not sure is worth 3x the price of a used 70--200 II
The 28-70 2.0 is very cool but with a filter size of 95mm is a bit of a challenge for ND, there are some ND that you can mount inside the throat of the camera...  also very expensive and heavy and is not internal zoom so for gimbal is a problem.

The RF lens seems all better than the EF counterpart but are they 3x the price better? 

To note that the variable ND adapter does not come with a clear filter so you need do buy that on top or buy also the normal adapter that is cheaper than the clear filter......