A "need" for an anamorphic adapters?

aramv

Hi Ya'll!

First-time Poster!

I'm a current Sony A7III & 1.5x aivascope shooter and wanted to ask if there is a "need" for an anamorphic lenses on camera's that have a 2.4:1 shooting resolution mode like the ZCAM E2F6.  6K 2.4:1 6064 x 2560 / C4K 2.4:1 4096x1728.  Although one will not get the characteristics of anamorphic. Is there a benefit to such resolutions? 

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.05.17 PM.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, aramv said:

Hi Ya'll!

First-time Poster!

Hello, hi!

2 hours ago, aramv said:

I'm a current Sony A7III & 1.5x aivascope shooter

That's a great setup.
Aivascope gives a gorgeous image and is really handy. I'm jealous!

2 hours ago, aramv said:

and wanted to ask if there is a "need" for an anamorphic lenses on camera's that have a 2.4:1 shooting resolution mode like the ZCAM E2F6.   Although one will not get the characteristics of anamorphic.

Well, you answered your own question - those modes allow you to get a widescreen aspect ratio, but without an anamorphic look.

Surely, there are benefits to this - if you plan on delivering the final image in 2.4:1, then you don't waste storage space and processing power on pixels you won't use.

But at the same time - if you wanted to do some re-framing in post, add some head room, etc. then you're out of luck, because there is no data there.
I'd rather be on the safe side and shoot at 16:9 with 2.4:1 framing in mind and then crop it in post.

And, as you can see from the chart, those widescreen aspect ratios let you record a bit higher FPS video.
C4K in 2.4:1 goes up to 120 FPS in H265, whereas "normal" C4K allows 'only' 90 FPS.

If you really want to take use this sensor to its full potential, then you'd shoot 6K Open Gate and put some anamorphic glass in front.
Even your Aiva would do.

After desqueezing this setup would roughly give you a 2:1 image, which is a Netflix standard.

Pretty neat.

@heart0less Thank you for the reply.  Yes, the Aivascope is great, very clean, and pricey too lol . I use it with a Nikon Nikkor 50mm 1.8.  and yes, I guess I did answer my question lol .

I contemplating replacing my Sony A7III with either the ZCAM E2F6 with the specs above or wait for the Canon EOS R5 which will have 4K 24 ,60,120 fps and 8k , 8k RAW. 

Thoughts on those cameras? 
What setup do you have? 

What are the reasons that make you consider Z CAMs? 

I had A7 Mark III for a while and it was a tremendous camera. Too good for me at the time, so I sold it, haha. 

Are you willing to entirely replace it and its hybrid capabilities with something so video-centric as Z Cam? 

Sure, those specs look interesting, but, after having skimmed through almost every camera system available, I no longer recommend looking at specs only.

If it's your hobby, then you either like the camera so much that you enjoy taking it out and using it or it keeps lying waste, no matter if it shoots 8K and whatnot. 

What's my setup? 

Fujifilm X-T3. I've had it for almost a year and I'm sure it's gonna stay with me for a quite some time. 

It's a really capable camera and I feel I'm the one that caps its potential. 

Anamorphic department: the most accessible and budget solutions available - ISCO Ultra Star and a single focus called myFM made by Eugene from Siberia. 

I'm sort of a cheapskate, so there is quite a lot of DIY elements in what I do, hahahahha. 

@heart0less Interesting. I've heard good things about the X-T3 and X-T4. 

I love the Sony A7III but notice when I push the colors in post the 8-bit image breaks apart. I enjoy color grading. Also, I would like the 60+ fps to be at a higher resolution I enjoy speed-ramping footage  -  Sample

What I like about the Sony A7III is that I can take some really great photos with it. I mostly edit for work, but do video projects on the side (paid and unpaid) I shoot about 70 videography / 30 photography.

Why the ZCAM? - Other than the colorful specs and resolutions, I really like the form factor. Yes, Cons are - No IBIS, AF isn't the best ; and those are things that I use on the Sony sometimes. 

Lately, I've been shooting anamorphic with vintage manual lenses so the AF doesn't  bother me as much.  

Here is a sample of the Sensor Resolution Ratios

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.37.01 PM.jpg