Sony ZV-1

Matins

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Of course, this camera can be as much cinematic as any other with similar specs and from talented handling ; ) However, I've seen very promising combo this time.

The same for their new smartphone BTW, except the 4/60p you can find on the Xperia 1 II sales they're somehow protecting to couple the rest of their cameras range, I guess.

Or overheating may be sorta issue from such 1" sensor and compact package, I wonder. And how can we ever see some similar sensor size going along a smartphone with heat dissipation?

Cell phones use variable frame rates, so in portions where a lot of work is needed to encode, they simply drop the frame rate. You can't do that with a fixed frame rate, the camera has to always be able to complete the frame no matter how fussy it is. The processors themselves could handle higher frame rates but they would overheat without external cooling of some sort, so there is a limit. That is determined by processor cooling, not by anything else. If a cell phone processor starts to overheat it just drops the number of frames being done. While that may be fine for cell phones, it doesn't cut it with regular video.

A camera with a variable frame rate will always be capable of a higher frame rate than one with a fixed frame rate for that reason.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
56 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

The RX100 Va is only $100 more, and used one is cheaper.  I recently bought a used RX100VI for half price mainly as travel cam, and occasional slowmo.

Guess for vlogger it wouldn't matter much, but 1s is way too short for capturing slow mo.

The ZV-1 uses the latest AF hardware though, so it should be more capable than the VA when it comes to focusing. Not that it is a big issue though, all of the RX100 models from mark V onward focus good enough. It is only the earlier marks that have problems.

I guess the latest eye AF is good for a blogging camera though. Probably less useful for normal shooting.

36 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

I thought the ZV-1 was based off the VII design since the VI doesn't have a mic port or Active Steadyshot?

VI do have active steadyshot and intelligent active, the AF point on ZV-1 is the same as V, VII have higher number of AF point. (315 vs 357), ZV-1 definitely used a mix of new and old stuff.

38 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

I thought the ZV-1 was based off the VII design since the VI doesn't have a mic port or Active Steadyshot?

It is a mark V with mark VII electronics and the latest firmware designs, but in a redesigned body. Some elements of the a6600 are included in the design.

VI might not have active steadyshot, but the mark V does.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:15 PM, Mokara said:

Cell phones use variable frame rates, so in portions where a lot of work is needed to encode, they simply drop the frame rate. You can't do that with a fixed frame rate, the camera has to always be able to complete the frame no matter how fussy it is. The processors themselves could handle higher frame rates but they would overheat without external cooling of some sort, so there is a limit. That is determined by processor cooling, not by anything else. If a cell phone processor starts to overheat it just drops the number of frames being done. While that may be fine for cell phones, it doesn't cut it with regular video.

A camera with a variable frame rate will always be capable of a higher frame rate than one with a fixed frame rate for that reason.

Yeah, and I guess variable bitrate might also be helpful in order to overcome potential issues.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:24 AM, Mokara said:

It is a mark V with mark VII electronics and the latest firmware designs, but in a redesigned body. Some elements of the a6600 are included in the design.

VI might not have active steadyshot, but the mark V does.

Vi have active steadyshot, i already stated that on my previous post.

20200605_225507.jpg

This looks like a great compact, but I would prefer a tad wider, the shuttered Nikon DL with the 18-50 equiv was a perfect solution for my needs, sadly it vaporized before being released.

Not sure if any of the other RX100's have the new real time tracking, but that's a significant AF upgrade over the others without. The flippy screen and new AF make this a pretty appealing package for a small travel or b-roll cam.

Chris

• 5 months later...

Just revisiting this thread because I have a question...

Right now, it's the leading contender for me for a very specific use case. Well 2x specific use cases actually.

Case 01: 1080p @ 100fps slow mo. Is there a max recording time on this and does it record as 25fps for output?

Case 02: 4k @ 25fps backup for ceremonies & speeches at weddings.

Does anyone here have this camera or know for sure the answer to Case 01?

I've had and used the RX100 V and shot an entire wedding on it, albeit just 'highlights capture' and production, so know that model well enough.

Right up to this Summer, I have been shooting all my long form static ceremonies and speeches on a camera with the same sensor but slower aperture, so again, I know it's limitations etc.

I know I can record unlimited (until either the card fills up, it does actually overheat, or all power runs dry) using a powerbank but I can't find info re. the slow mo 100/120fps mode. I don't care about even slower modes, only this one.

I am hoping the answer is at least 10 seconds (of actual real time capture time) but hoping it's longer!

Cheers.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Case 01: 1080p @ 100fps slow mo. Is there a max recording time on this and does it record as 25fps for output?

No max record time, some AF restrictions and you have to slow it down in post yourself.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Case 02: 4k @ 25fps backup for ceremonies & speeches at weddings.

/// EDIT //// Fidel Castro was notorious for his long speeches but according to Sony's spec the ZV-1 can record for 13 HOURS so you'd be able to capture two of even his longest efforts.

Card capacity and spontaneous combustion are likely to be a bigger issue with that though.

4K at 60mb will give you over 8 hours on a 256 gig card.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dc/1910/v1/en/contents/TP0002870058.html

///// IGNORE ALL THAT

Maximum recording capacity rather than continuous recording time.

No, you're not, we are all the idiots because they dare to launch it without such feature when any smartphone today practically offers 60 frames acquisition going along UHD : )

They would compete with the action cameras anyway, so they'd rather ignore to play the Panasonic part we're used to but not with them. Damned tiny sensor size cameras we have to shoot with.