Sony ZV-1

Matins

5 hours ago, rawshooter said:

I keep disliking this camera. It goes against any ambition of producing better - I dare not say: more beautiful, more filmic-quality - images, but throws us back into white trash reality tv aesthetics. (Chris and Jordan nailed that in their intro of their DPreview video, using it for a mock-shampoo influencer ad.)

I really think that this camera doesn't belong to this forum - but since I am neither the owner, nor a moderator, it's just my 2 cents.

If it is a success, then who knows what the future might hold for pocketable 'all-in-one' cameras. New small memory cards are on their way, making continuous raw shooting on future pocketable cameras an option.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The EODHD forum's toughest pill to swallow: even the best image quality, the best low light ISO performance, the best AF, the best lightning, the best sound, the creamiest of bokeh cannot sell shitty/niche content. You need a good story/performance or at least a gripping reality soap opera (which can be told by a workhorse HD camera, that has been forgotten by GAS).

Sorry, I call that bullshit - and take (for example) Koyaanisqatsi over a reality soap opera any time - in fact, having to watch that reality show is my personal definition of hell.

I really wonder where these voices are coming from, on this forum that is supposed to be about the beauty of cinematography.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:42 PM, rawshooter said:

Not getting very excited by the image quality either - just see the newest DPreview episode which was alternatingly shot on the Fuji XT-4 and the ZV-1. IMHO, the ZV-1 footage sticks out like a sore thumb:

You are aware that there's a considerable size difference between these cameras??

11 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Sorry, I call that bullshit - and take (for example) Koyaanisqatsi over a reality soap opera any time - in fact, having to watch that reality show is my personal definition of hell.

I really wonder where these voices are coming from, on this forum that is supposed to be about the beauty of cinematography.

We are discussing a piece of camera gear and it was criticized for the "look" it produces. Is anyone expecting a cinematic image from a 1" sensor? There is a lot of content that does need anything more than this and you've probably watched without giving it a second thought. The tool should be evaluated in the context of its intended use.

1 hour ago, JurijTurnsek said:

We are discussing a piece of camera gear and it was criticized for the "look" it produces. Is anyone expecting a cinematic image from a 1" sensor? 

Of course you can get a cinematic image from a 1" sensor - just take the first-generation Blackmagic Pocket and the Digital Bolex. (Let alone analog Super 16mm cinematography which uses the same frame size as the sensor size of 1".)

4 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Of course you can get a cinematic image from a 1" sensor - just take the first-generation Blackmagic Pocket and the Digital Bolex. (Let alone analog Super 16mm cinematography which uses the same frame size as the sensor size of 1".)

I second that. Regarding the infamouns DOF, the ZV1 with F2.8 at the long end would still give s35 look at 5.6 regarding dof. 1.8 would give a 3.5 at the wide end. So this camera wide open would give the same dof look like a standard kit lens on a Fuji XT4 or Nikon D500 (the latter in HD mode :) ). S16 format is often shot at f2.8.

2 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Ok, let me rephrase my statement: Is anyone expecting a cinematic image from a fixed zoom lens 1" camera combinatoin that has been around for ages and we all know exactly how it performs even before we see a sample video?

Sure thing, if one loves the handling for fictional work. Otherwise, no.:)

It will be interesting to see how this camera does. I could see why Sony did it. Compact camera sales have been plummeting for years. It’s an attempt to repurpose the compact camera into something for the modern age of phones.

Panny could pivot on a new LX100 mk3 with a 10-25 f1.7-2.8 and a full MFT sensor with no crop 4K and a flip screen. 🤔 it would need something extra though since it will regrettable lack Sony AF...but then there is the Olympus EM5.3...just doesn’t have a good onboard mic and is a bit bigger. Also there are no fast 8-10mm MFT primes. Olympus needs to make a 1.4 or 1.8 prime at 10mm.

Let’s be honest, the ZV1 will be used at its 12mm 1.8 almost all the time. So ditch the zoom lens and go wider and faster.

How about a LX100V for Vlogger with a fixed 10mm f/1.7 prime. A internal ND with a nice control wheel at base of lens, rip off ZV1 mic style, add a flip screen, add in PDAF as we know this is a pipe dream and 10-bit no-crop 4K.

5 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Ok, let me rephrase my statement: Is anyone expecting a cinematic image from a fixed zoom lens 1" camera combinatoin that has been around for ages and we all know exactly how it performs even before we see a sample video?

I think the question should also be asked if someone calls themselves as a filmmaker, if they're actually making films or just making YouTube videos.

Don't underrate this one, because that's a pretty milestone. Cinematic outcome going along affordable is not even anything new : ) Jurij, ain't you the guy claiming for 1" sensor smartphone side? Hard to follow you : -)

Take a look on 5:33/5:34 minute and how they've improved their CS on this one:

IMO it can work out as a perfect vlog/pocket camera BTW, kudos to Sony and their customers with full pixel readout and no pixel binning. To my taste, the beef looks like the absence of 4K/60p nobody seems to care... Now let's wait for DJI with the next Osmo Pocket ; -)

17 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Did you see anything in the promotional material suggesting that Sony is expecting these cameras to be used to produce cinematic masterpieces?

It seemed to me that they were promoting the camera as a blogger camera. I did not see anything about cinema production capability there. Or did I miss what you saw?

HFR of the ZV-1 is a huge let down vs previous RX100, 1s in quality priority and 3s in time priority vs 4s in quality & 7s in time priority of older RX100VII/VI/V, even IV the first model to have HRF have longer duration (2s & 4s).

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

HFR of the ZV-1 is a huge let down vs previous RX100, 1s in quality priority and 3s in time priority vs 4s in quality & 7s in time priority of older RX100VII/VI/V, even IV the first model to have HRF have longer duration (2s & 4s).

Finally a bigger distinguishing feature other than the EVF. I can see someone paying the extra $400 just to have the recording times

10 hours ago, Mokara said:

(...)

It seemed to me that they were promoting the camera as a blogger camera. I did not see anything about cinema production capability there. (...)

Of course, this camera can be as much cinematic as any other with similar specs and from talented handling ; ) However, I've seen very promising combo this time.

The same for their new smartphone BTW, except the 4/60p you can find on the Xperia 1 II sales they're somehow protecting to couple the rest of their cameras range, I guess.

Or overheating may be sorta issue from such 1" sensor and compact package, I wonder. And how can we ever see some similar sensor size going along a smartphone with heat dissipation?

5 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Finally a bigger distinguishing feature other than the EVF. I can see someone paying the extra $400 just to have the recording times

The RX100 Va is only $100 more, and used one is cheaper.  I recently bought a used RX100VI for half price mainly as travel cam, and occasional slowmo.

Guess for vlogger it wouldn't matter much, but 1s is way too short for capturing slow mo.

28 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

The RX100 Va is only $100 more, and used one is cheaper.  I recently bought a used RX100VI for half price mainly as travel cam, and occasional slowmo.

Guess for vlogger it wouldn't matter much, but 1s is way too short for capturing slow mo.

I thought the ZV-1 was based off the VII design since the VI doesn't have a mic port or Active Steadyshot?