Sony ZV-1

Matins

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, still a camera limited to 8bit 4:2:0, and even for the Vlogger target group, I don't quite get how you can release a camera in 2020 that only has USB 2.0 with a MicroUSB port...

Not getting very excited by the image quality either - just see the newest DPreview episode which was alternatingly shot on the Fuji XT-4 and the ZV-1. IMHO, the ZV-1 footage sticks out like a sore thumb:

In the last segment (at 13:10), I actually find the iPhone XR footage looking much better than the ZV-1 footage... So then why bother with the ZV-1?

Looks like a cheaper RX100, which was overpriced to start with.

Sony’s biggest mistake with this is that for a vlogging lens, it’s not wide enough. At arms length, it’s much too close.

Having said that, it does have a 1” sensor and HLG so would look better after some work in the editor vs the iPhone

Will sell by the truckload to Vloggers and those flogging products on YouTube from home but I think it COULD make a great little camera for recording live bands for them to check how they are going or to put on YouTube (as long as the lighting is not too dim at a gig).  

Stick it on a tripod and record away.

41 minutes ago, noone said:

flogging products

image.jpeg.a193020ed4cd41018e2618d76aa1f92a.jpeg

I’ve notice the phone video quality, which the ZV1 has, is now a perceived as a sign of authenticity with the younger folk.

I suspect this camera will perhaps do well...although the latest iPhones and Android devices makers more sense.

14 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Well, still a camera limited to 8bit 4:2:0, and even for the Vlogger target group, I don't quite get how you can release a camera in 2020 that only has USB 2.0 with a MicroUSB port...

Not getting very excited by the image quality either - just see the newest DPreview episode which was alternatingly shot on the Fuji XT-4 and the ZV-1. IMHO, the ZV-1 footage sticks out like a sore thumb:

In the last segment (at 13:10), I actually find the iPhone XR footage looking much better than the ZV-1 footage... So then why bother with the ZV-1?

The ZV-1 looked a bit better than the iPhone IMO. Why bother? You will probably get better low light performance from the Sony. Doesn't matter too much outdoors, but indoors or other low light situations it can become more significant.

It does need a lens that gives a wider field of view if it is going to be used for vlogging. It also appeared to be having focusing issues in places, focusing on the background rather than his face at times. But, that may just be the camera not being set up correctly though.

Other than that it appears to be a RX100 using the mark 5 lens and the mark 7 electronics, housed in a different body.

9 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

image.jpeg.a193020ed4cd41018e2618d76aa1f92a.jpeg

I’ve notice the phone video quality, which the ZV1 has, is now a perceived as a sign of authenticity with the younger folk.

I suspect this camera will perhaps do well...although the latest iPhones and Android devices makers more sense.

It is the same as the RX100.

Yay, the 0.0000001% of the world that are vloggers now have their camera, albeit requiring the selfish stick option as it’s not quite wide enough, but yay anyway.

Only slightly tongue in cheek, it looks good for this market segment and I used to have an RX100v and liked it.

I think if the 4K went to 60p or the lens would remain at a constant f1.8, I could find a use for one as a pocketable point & shoot stealth video cam.

32 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Yay, the 0.0000001% of the world that are vloggers now have their camera, albeit requiring the selfish stick option as it’s not quite wide enough, but yay anyway.

Only slightly tongue in cheek, it looks good for this market segment and I used to have an RX100v and liked it.

I think if the 4K went to 60p or the lens would remain at a constant f1.8, I could find a use for one as a pocketable point & shoot stealth video cam.

Sony can’t seem to put together a camera that can do 4K/60 that isn’t a big one you carry on your shoulder.

5 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Sony can’t seem to put together a camera that can do 4K/60 that isn’t a big one you carry on your shoulder.

To be fair, I don't think anyone makes a 4k 60p compact camera do they?

Overheating issues I guess?

I am actually considering one to replace my camcorder that has the same sensor for purely ceremonies and speeches at weddings which I only film in 4k 25p.

Why? Size/portability.

Early days yet...other than knowing it's the same sensor and I used to use the RX100V at weddings, I'm not sure about battery life or whether it can be run off a power bank whilst recording etc, - some investigating to do.

Had the original RX10 'bridge' camera and it was actually pretty decent.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone makes a 4k 60p compact camera do they?

Overheating issues I guess?

I am actually considering one to replace my camcorder that has the same sensor for purely ceremonies and speeches at weddings which I only film in 4k 25p.

Why? Size/portability.

Early days yet...other than knowing it's the same sensor and I used to use the RX100V at weddings, I'm not sure about battery life or whether it can be run off a power bank whilst recording etc, - some investigating to do.

Had the original RX10 'bridge' camera and it was actually pretty decent.

The counter argument seems to be that even phones can do it now.

@MeanRevert guests might be able to get away with that, but I don't think I would!

Or maybe I could, but for me I think using a phone at a wedding (other than as a controller for my drone) is a step too far, - I still have a pretence of being professional to uphold ;)

I keep disliking this camera. It goes against any ambition of producing better - I dare not say: more beautiful, more filmic-quality - images, but throws us back into white trash reality tv aesthetics. (Chris and Jordan nailed that in their intro of their DPreview video, using it for a mock-shampoo influencer ad.)

I really think that this camera doesn't belong to this forum - but since I am neither the owner, nor a moderator, it's just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, rawshooter said:

I keep disliking this camera. It goes against any ambition of producing better - I dare not say: more beautiful, more filmic-quality - images, but throws us back into white trash reality tv aesthetics. (Chris and Jordan nailed that in their intro of their DPreview video, using it for a mock-shampoo influencer ad.)

I really think that this camera doesn't belong to this forum - but since I am neither the owner, nor a moderator, it's just my 2 cents.

What is "white trash reality tv aesthetics"?

2 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

The ones that make money. 

The EODHD forum's toughest pill to swallow: even the best image quality, the best low light ISO performance, the best AF, the best lightning, the best sound, the creamiest of bokeh cannot sell shitty/niche content. You need a good story/performance or at least a gripping reality soap opera (which can be told by a workhorse HD camera, that has been forgotten by GAS).

6 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The EODHD forum's toughest pill to swallow: even the best image quality, the best low light ISO performance, the best AF, the best lightning, the best sound, the creamiest of bokeh cannot sell shitty/niche content. You need a good story/performance or at least a gripping reality soap opera (which can be told by a workhorse HD camera, that has been forgotten by GAS).

The Vimeo vs YouTube argument in a nutshell.