Fuji GFX 100 ProRes RAW?

Andrew Reid

14 hours ago, androidlad said:

It requires far more aggressive line-skipping to readout the full height of the sensor which is 8736 pixels.

Currently GFX100 uses 2/3 subsampling vertically to derive a 4352 pixel Bayer from a 6528 pixel height, and that already saturated the maximum readout time of 32ms required to achieve 30fps video frame rate.

how would the 25mp and 50mp BSI sensors fare?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Z-CAM with ProRes RAW is in many way more useful on that camera, because you need to add the screen anyway, and it doesn't have a standard or widely supported internal RAW codec, so you may as well use the Ninja with it if you want to shoot RAW.

The 5.8K will be on the more expensive larger sensor models and I think 4K on the M43 Z-CAM E2.

I'll do a blog post about it in due course. Would help if they could keep me informed so I can prepare one. I'm not a psychic :)

Hi Andrew, I was just wondering how they got 5.8K out via HDMI of the Z-CAM?  This has to be from Z-CAM, not necessarily Atomos?

So it might be possible to have an opengate HDMI out of the GH6?

I guess I don't understand the HDMI limitations, nor possibilities?

• Administrators

HDMI is just a data protocol really. A bit like USB is.

I assume RAW sensor data (1s and 0s) come out of the Z-CAM and all the Ninja V does it is compress it to ProRes RAW format.

HDMI has a bandwidth limitation like USB but that has increased over the recent years with HDMI 2.0 needed to transmit more and more data, like 4K/60p for instance.

Man oh man I am more confused than ever. I just received the final email back to confirm my purchase for the Komodo, but this news comes out. Smfh.

I’m usually very confident with my camera purchasing decisions, but this has me going through a constant loop of what ifs.

Please can someone help me make sense of this decision. Should I go with the Komodo or get this GFX100 now with Pro Res Raw capability. Smfh. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in seeing more ProRes Raw footage from the GFX 100 Ninja V combo. Very limited amount of GFX 100 ProRes Raw footage on the web. Of particular interest is how much more dynamic range you have in ProRes Raw over the 10 bit F-Log and how pixel binning or line skipping is handled.

• Super Members

The reason for the lack of footage is that, as with the ProRes RAW output for the Sigma fP, the firmware for the camera has been publicly released but the update for the Ninja V hasn't as of yet.

For the GFX100, it is slated to be released "in July" so there is a couple of days left yet before its officially late !

On 6/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, ac6000cw said:

Speaking as an experienced FPGA design engineer, if you can implement it in an FPGA you could put into an ASIC (or into software, depending on how fast you need your processing to run).

There is nothing magic or special about FPGAs other than their basic ability to be user programmed/re-programmed, which is their 'Unique Selling Point'. That makes them very attractive for low to medium volume products which need high-throughput data processing - instead of sinking a lot of up-front development capital into an ASIC. It also makes it a lot easier and cheaper to fix bugs and add features after you've launched the product.....

Speaking as an experienced software engineer, you can sometimes implement FPGA logic in software, but you can never duplicate the true parallel nature as efficiently, even doing the implementation in CUDA or OpenCL.  You can make it work, but the power budget will be quite high.  Also, we are talking about FPGA's like there is just this black box of magic 😁, but then the higher up the offerings you go, FPGA fabric is mixed in with fixed function components and (multipliers, memory controllers, etc) which reduce how many LUTs* you have to use for those functions and saves you power, at the cost of flexibility.

What node are they at for mainstream FPGAs now? The last thing I did anything with was the Spartan III. I did sit in on an Intel presentation a few years ago, and those damn things are mind blowing in what they offer, the speed at which they offer it, and the freaking cost! 😬

* This is a slightly different kinda LUT 😄

On 7/29/2020 at 5:46 AM, BTM_Pix said:

The reason for the lack of footage is that, as with the ProRes RAW output for the Sigma fP, the firmware for the camera has been publicly released but the update for the Ninja V hasn't as of yet.

For the GFX100, it is slated to be released "in July" so there is a couple of days left yet before its officially late !

I'm strongly considering shooting a bunch of ProRes RAW with my S1H/Ninja V combo for a stock videography/wife's birthday/hunting trip that's coming up next week. The only thing that's holding me back is I can't grade the shit in Premiere Pro CC because of a new bug I've uncovered with having an AMD GPU (Vega Frontier Edition 16 GB VRAM) and a dedicated NVidia Tesla Compute card with no video out in the same computer. I'm seriously considering buying another NVidia card just so I can do a test with this before I leave. There has to be some Fuji footage dropping very soon from someone...

• Super Members
3 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Has the Ninja V prores raw update been released for the GFX100 yet? Hadn't heard or seen anything  new on it.

No, it is still MIA with the fP update.

They had some issues with the S1H originally so I'm guessing that put the whole queue back but now that is out there might be some movement.