'4K Ready' Sony FS700 officially announced

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/sony-fs700.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7710/the-sony-nex-fs700-4k-for-8k"]As first revealed on EOSHD last week[/url] the $8k Sony FS700 has now been officially unveiled. The specs are as leaked but there are some significant extra details which make it even better, especially in terms of slow mo which is full 1080p all the way up to 240fps!

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7748/4k-ready-sony-fs700-officially-announced/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just WOW!!!! Now Sony is pushing things! For low budget movies this will be a must!

If we think that by the end of the year we will have a 4K system option for low cost commercials and movies it is really amazing. And also the slow mo speeds and most probably a great low light performance.

Waiting for the specs and the codec that will be used, lots of storage needed for 4k footage. Harsh competition this year. Good for us.

Now we are talking.  No more BS from Canon or Nikon.  It's the big time with this bad boy.  At long last Sony steps up and delivers the goods we've all been asking for and more.  Where's the preorder option??  8)

I have always wanted to do short film...then finally a feature film with my brother.

I was gonna get the FS100, then I also love the Mark ii, I thought maybe I will wait for the mark iii...stay up all night for launch...when the specs of the mark iii came out I was in tears...'cause it was just a minor upgrade. I though my only options was gonna have be the RED SCARLET.

By July I will have about $14000 to play with....I though scarlet it is. Just need to wait til JULY.

Today the wait is over. I think I know which camera I am gonna get that will last me for at least 2 to 3 years.

Thanks you Sony.

On the another note - The slow motion on this camera is gonna be insane!

RIP C-300 and RIP RED.

This camera is going to kick the crap out of anything out. RED is in serious trouble because this camera probably will be reliable, unlike the REDs.

I think the Canon 4K EOS might still have a chance because it's going to be Full-Frame (hopefully with crop modes) and it will be able to record 4K to Flash Cards. Plus, it will be a good stills camera, so it fills a niche of it's own.

From what I understand so far, the Sony will need a recorder for their 4K. Is that correct?

Anyways, I think the C-300 will go down in history as the quickest Flash-in-the-Pan. There will be so much buyer remorse that the users are going to have to hire a psychologist.

This is great, cause now the 4K EOS will seriously have to up it's game.

[quote author=Giovanni Bertani link=topic=514.msg3368#msg3368 date=1333386751]
This is basically a Red Scarlet than you can really use, depend on and afford. Great Sony you are back!.

Planning to buy it ASAP.

AlsoDSLRs will have hard time with these kind of real cameras FS-100 and FS-700. Let's see the 4K EOS. Now they must release it with RAW output...
[/quote]

man... I've bought my FS100 used last week for 4k and with my "old" ninja we're making that cam fly! Abel cine has great presets for this cam, really flat ones. Although I'm not on the FF healm I really don't care that much. S35 is more that enough for a great shallow DOF. I've got a good kit of fast old canon and nikon primes and all I can say is that I've never regret it. Sold our MKIII and kept my MKII, used the extra money on new lenses and stuff. I think that FS100 will drop to 4k, really expecting that so I can buy a second cam.

People trying to turn mkIII soft image into something with better res is a no no. Just compare Andrew's tests on MKIII and GH2... FS100 is a good choice for now and it shines with an external device.

dangerzonerj... I really look forward to do a similar move. I need to display my edits on a big 1080p stage screen and I am totally tired about soft video, moire and difficulty in color correcting the footage without ugly artifacts.

Sony has dropped a huge bomb over Canon, RED & Nikon.

DSLRs are back where they should be, mainly 4 photography with optional video. Now we are really moving to digital cinema cameras you can buy... great... an indie cinema dream...

What can I say... I totally agree... S35 with fast glass is well enough 4 what you really need. I used a 5d MK2 because there were no interesting alternatives. Now Sony has these 2 fantastic cameras and to me there is no sense to buy a Mk3 or D800 for video. I will wait for real FS700 reviews and then make the final decision including the FS100.

and... let's see NAB...

Ciao

Andrew, visiting your site is like willfully strolling into a minefield... where you hope to step on a BOMB!!
Now help me figure this out: if we mount our PL LOMO ana lenses on this what will the aspect ratio be?  2x S35?

Exciting times, compadre!

Roberto

PS, any speculation on what Panasonic's answer will be?  ...the AF700??

It's like you guys can't wait for videocameras to go back to what they already were.  Anything that is announced at a price over 5k is irrelevant in terms of what future indie filmmakers will be using. This would be a poor choice for somebody getting into video, you would need to already have commercial work lined up, nobody could buy this and THEN build a career around it.

[quote author=bradleyg5 link=topic=514.msg3400#msg3400 date=1333434295]
Anything that is announced at a price over 5k is irrelevant in terms of what future indie filmmakers will be using.
[/quote]

Well... I do not understand your point... this is already a big cut, expect the price going down for used ones or competitors models to 5K in 2-3 years.

No camera will make you a Kubrick but will give you more freedom and make life easier. I constantly hit the frustrating limits of poor DSRLs video performance, compression artifacts in grading, real resolution, audio inputs & sync, maximum recording time, no slowmo, no decent monitor etc...  having something like this opens up a great creative possibility.

Ciao

It's like you guys can't wait for videocameras to go back to what they already were.  Anything that is announced at a price over 5k is irrelevant in terms of what future indie filmmakers will be using. This would be a poor choice for somebody getting into video, you would need to already have commercial work lined up, nobody could buy this and THEN build a career around it.
[/quote]

If you're not making money in this arena, then obviously its a poor choice, financially. If you are doing a personal "film" project, then rent a camera and save yourself a lot of money. If you ARE making money then I would say this is a good investment.

JVC hastily screwed some parts together to present the first mock-up. Sony again made the first usable prototype, which in two years will be considered a classic. Nobody knows what that "4k-ready" means in terms of any future UHD standard. This is, because there [i]is[/i] already a 4k standard, and these camcorders don't meet it. Nobody now wants to master in 4k, because what with and who for? Nobody now knows the real price of the dubious not-really-4k-ready jackalope. European sources say the "2k ready" body was "just below 9.000 €", and nothing about when or for which price the external 4k-recorder will arrive. Remind me of a bet: It will be 4:2:0, 8-bit.

[i]"No camera will make you a Kubrick but will give you more freedom and make life easier."[/i]

I have to put quite complex contexts in a simple form now, but I could easily elaborate on this, if you request it: The preferred master format of the master Kubrick required a picture crop of nearly 50%. More: For his masterpiece [i]Barry Lyndon[/i], in which he invested four years of his life, he used a 20x zoom, for which he adapted a lens for a 16mm camera to his 35mm camera (the joystick-control was the model for our modern ease-in-ease-out-zoom-switches). He was warned that the focal length would crop the image further (it's as if you use an APSC-lens on a 5D instead of the other way around, you lose sensor space that needs to be scaled in post), but he had it his way.

During all of this much higher resolution was available. 10 years before he had made [i]2001[/i] in Cinerama (a 65mm format, probably over 10k in resolution, only excelled by the now also-obsolete IMAX).

One of the two or three most successful filmmakers of all time, Steven Spielberg, also quite often used the smaller format for his films, standard american widescreen, sometimes called the "narrative format". You may not be too astonished to learn that this is true for [i]Schindlers List[/i]. But look for [i]Jurassic Parc[/i] on imdb!

High resolutions are the dinosaur skeletons of the past. This never bothered the audience (with a handful exceptions). We will see higher framerates for 3D (Hobbit), but no 4k standard. A lot of films will be mastered in 4k now, but just because the 2k-theatre-systems eat it, the DCPs are downwards compatible, not because of demand.

[quote author=AaronChicago link=topic=514.msg3417#msg3417 date=1333471840]
[/quote]

If you're not making money in this arena, then obviously its a poor choice, financially. If you are doing a personal "film" project, then rent a camera and save yourself a lot of money. If you ARE making money then I would say this is a good investment.
[/quote]

Exactly. And this camera at this price to purchase will mean lower prices to rent as well.

What I want to know, is that a big assed electronic follow focus ring in the centre of it's body? It certainly appears it to me and I could see this working quite well (possibly) with native E-Mount (and presumably A-Mount with adapter) lenses as a focus by wire system? It does seem to have a 'hold' button underneath it. I think this would be a very clever idea, not more having to strap your FF rings to your lenses, just put on new E or A lens and away you go?

Could be just a styling thing I suppose, sadly, too

ANDREW, where did you get the $8K price from? I don't see it quoted at $8K range anywhere but here. Naturally I want to believe you and not the other sites quoting it at 9 or 10K. Not a huge deal to me with these outlandish specs. Just curious about your source....