Complete list of 4K cameras for filmmakers

Andrew Reid

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

details on the glass and camera settings?

Gyna speedbooster with the brand name "Fotasy."  1980's era Nikkor  50mm, mostly at f2.  When that lens goes to f1.4 it halos and fringes like crazy.  The overall color changes a bunch too, so we don't really use f1.4 much.  On the camera we used the default "Natural" setting.  Shutter speed was mostly @40, except for the 1080 60p 60ss slow-mo stuff.  That's about it.  When I had my EM5II I didn't really like how color balance would shift rapidly on the WB setting.  Still not pleased with auto WB on the EM10III, but, really, why use auto WB to begin with?  (other than being lazy, which I am)

FWIW, the IQ is certainly different when I put my Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 on the camera.  But, I just like the look of the vintage glass better.  In fact, I used to shoot with a set of Canon chrome-nose FD primes on a speed-booster; like that look the best; low contrast, kinda warmer.

Honestly, I feel like with the gear we've been using it's been comparable IQ from these hybrid cameras for 7 or 8 years now.  4K is great for some post production assist like punch in, post stabilization, or horizontal leveling, but I've not seen a remarkable change in my 1080p deliverables for quite awhile.  I mean, our GH5 footage is more "gradeable" but it's not like the IQ blows me away...even on the good codec footage.  My old GX7 still looks awesome to my eye. 

I'm glad we bought a GH5 a few years back and a collection of Voightlander lenses.  It's a nice camera, but I'm not thrilled we dropped as much money for that cam and new glass when the old gear was performing just fine.  (aside from the 4k slow-mo of the GH5, which I leaned on way too heavily and I'm now glad that crutch is goone)

As you can see, I'm definitely not in the market for anything high-end, so take all my input with a grain of salt if you're aiming for equipment that does more.

17 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

As you can see, I'm definitely not in the market for anything high-end, so take all my input with a grain of salt if you're aiming for equipment that does more.

Same here. I'm actually shooting a short this weekend with a Canon m6ii and a cheap speedbooster. I got it with the plan to add lenses that could also be used on the R6 (whoops). But I'm really enjoying this little one so far as a carry anywhere photo-grabber. This weekend will be the big test for the video side of it.

But thanks for all the insight on how you shot that test. You made that little Oly look high-end. If the price drops much more I won't have any excuse not to pick one up and have that ibis with my vintage lenses. Also, I agree on the gh5. Great camera but it didn't wow me with IQ.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 11:12 AM, Andrew Reid said:

No the price limit doesn't define the camera concept.

The design of the camera does.

Z-Cam is totally different in concept to an X-T4.

i think the cheap  non-hybrid cameras are worth thinking about simply because they are literally thought about:  they factor into equipment plans when a hybrid costs more than an alternative stills camera + a blackmagic or a z-cam.  If the point of the list is to  give folk the breadth of kit to consider when planning what kit they need, if they can think about a $10 hybrid, they can think about a $3k stills, plus a $7k cinema camera