Sigma 17-70 F2.8 on Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

With the Fringer EF-FX adapter this lens is a BARGAIN. I have the 16-55mm F2.8 Fuji X and 18-135mm. I wanted something faster than the 18-135 although to be fair that is a very good run & gun lens. I wanted something longer than the 16-55.

This fits the bill and the macro is amazing. AF is instant. Works perfectly in 4K too. It cost me about £250 used in mint condition.

Will add some samples frames from it soon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great find!

Those samples look gorgeous.

What about OS - does it work? How does it do in conjunction with IBIS?

And what exactly version of this lens do you use?
There are at least three. Two of which are f/2.8 - 4.0 and the third (and the oldest) is f/2.8 - 4.5.

• Administrators

Works very well with IBIS but not quite as locked down as the Fuji 18-135mm, unless I can find a relevant setting to fiddle with.

Talking of stabilisation...

Perfect lens for S35 mode on Sigma Fp for run & gun with OIS!

DSCF3769.jpg

Interesting. I have this lens, haven't used it a ton. I have the XT4 with some primes and am debating whether to keep it. If the AF is as solid as native glass, this could be a great combo. Other than the extra reach and a bit wider, do you see a big advantage of getting the adapter and using the Sigma rather than Fuji's own 18-55mm f2.8-f4? Those lenses are easy to find for $250-300 or cost the same in a kit.

• Administrators

Fuji's own 18-55mm F2.8-4 is a great lens for the money but the Sigma is even better and more versatile in my book. A nice bit longer at the telephoto end. A bit wider too. Much better macro. More versatile. Fits more cameras. Goes on a Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster as well, where it just about has 1.3x crop covered.

I would keep it on the X-T4 though and not the older Fuji cameras as the AF seems FAR better on X-T4 vs my X-Pro 2. On the older ones I'd use Fuji's own lenses.

Also you need the Fringer adapter. The cheaper ones don't do it for me. So far anyway. Firmware may change things later.

Speaking of zooms...

DSCF3772.jpg

DSCF3773.jpg

The Sigma Fp got married today

To a Russian

She is 37-140 dress size.

F=fit.

Ex husband is Tarkovsky.

And she loves the Fp because IBIS is useless with manual focus zoom lenses. So here it will be a case of the lost art of sticking it on a tripod like Tarkovsky.

Wow. Awesome stuff. Tasty treats! How is the Soligor/Hanimex treating you? @Andrew Reid I find it nice at f4. 2.5 is obviously glowy. Surely tames the resolution of the S1:) But at f4 already I find it a great lens for filming. F4 is plenty to work for keeping the subject in focus. The 37 140, now we need to see that one capturing some sights!

• Administrators

It arrived today and sits proudly on the Sigma Fp. An absolute gem. It seems parfocal to me as well!

The shots of the GFX 100 are at 35mm and 70mm, both wide open. It's not exactly lacking for sharpness but is more gentle than a modern cut your throat sharp lens.

DSCF3836.JPG

SDIM0347 copy.jpg

SDIM0348 copy.jpg

• Administrators

The Pro version (Gen 1) with the aperture ring.

I have not yet figured out how to transfer control of the aperture to the camera body jog dials instead though. To be honest I'd prefer it there than on an aperture ring that is too close to the body and has no markings or hard stops.

The other thing I like about the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 is the overall rendering. It is pretty spectacular for such an affordable zoom. Really nice bokeh and focus roll off. Amazing resolution and contrast in the middle.

I have both the old and new versions of this lens... will see what the difference is.

Maybe if you set the aperture ring to auto and select shutter priority will do the trick?

*edit 

From the manual:

For X-H1 and X-T3, you may set “A” of aperture ring to “Command” (“BUTTON/DIAL SETTING” -> “APERTURE RING SETTING (A)” -> “COMMAND”). After doing this, turning the aperture ring to the end to “A” position activates camera body’s command dial (default is front dial) for the aperture setting. Now you can switch between aperture ring and command dial freely without flashing different firmware version. 

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The other thing I like about the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 is the overall rendering. It is pretty spectacular for such an affordable zoom. Really nice bokeh and focus roll off. Amazing resolution and contrast in the middle.

I have both the old and new versions of this lens... will see what the difference is.

I would be interested in this outcome, thanks!

Great to hear, Andrew. Looks so handsome on the FP with that grip! I loved the original Soligor ad for the lens. Best print ad for me for years. It made me buy the lens decades later after its appearance.:) Hopefully I get to test it more this weekend on the S1. Maybe some horses. It looked like a great match for my speedboosted GX85. Great little camera with nice ooc colour if one takes the time to play with the profiles a bit. It´s just fun to do the look in camera. Starting to mumble like Greta Gerwig. Oh well, great thread, so relaxing and informative. Perfect time to go to bed.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Stathman said:

Maybe if you set the aperture ring to auto and select shutter priority will do the trick?

*edit 

From the manual:

For X-H1 and X-T3, you may set “A” of aperture ring to “Command” (“BUTTON/DIAL SETTING” -> “APERTURE RING SETTING (A)” -> “COMMAND”). After doing this, turning the aperture ring to the end to “A” position activates camera body’s command dial (default is front dial) for the aperture setting. Now you can switch between aperture ring and command dial freely without flashing different firmware version. 

Thanks for that. I'll try it out on the X-T4.

• Administrators

Maybe he meant Alexa M6 II Mini?

That does have IBIS.

But the Canon M6 Mark is not so hot. Pixel binning. Soft 4K. Weak codec. No features. Outgunned by about 12 other similar models. Not even cheap. And X-T4 destroys it. Not an opinion.

8 hours ago, reo702 said:

I'm wondering how this lens functions with the XT-3 and the fringer adapter? Since I don't have an XT-4.

It's ok but AF is much better on X-T4.

OIS is ok. But X-T4 IBIS is better.

On the X-T4 you might want to stick to Fuji 18-55