Anamorphic on medium format

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

NEW BLOG POST

Well, inspired by your post, I thought I might sort out a setup today.

Nowhere on the same level as your ones but here is my very compact L mount full frame RAW anamorphic setup.

FP_ANA_2.thumb.jpg.1929ec4633df4566e5a79895a2d4150d.jpg

Taking lens is the Sigma 45mm and the (currently) less than ideal anamorphic element is provided courtesy of a pretty fucked SLR Magic Anamorphot-40 1.33x Compact.

I got the Anamorphot-40 very cheap used about 18 months ago and it literally fell apart like a clown car the second time I tried to use it and as you can see it hasn't fully been re-constructed as yet !

Obviously, when picking up the separate parts of it I managed to get barrel grease all over the elements (front and back of both of them no less) so it needs a proper clean as well as a few more screws.

I think I might persevere with that though as I think it will be worth the effort as even in its current smeary condition its got some promise from the couple of quick tests I did.

FP_ANA.thumb.jpg.749610121528a1b3254edb1fcfbb425c.jpg

• Administrators

Certainly is worth persevering with judging by the atmosphere in those shots. I think the Sigma 45mm is really well suited to anamorphic. I tried it on my Fp with the Bolex Moller and it's almost as if Rachel herself comes climbing out the picture. Another one of these lenses where the entrance pupil is very close to the anamorphic elements. It's got a lot more contrast than the Nikon E-series 50mm pancake I was using as well.

I just wish for the dual focus lenses, that the front variable diopters were a bit smaller and lighter. They are all 72mm+ monsters!

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well, inspired by your post, I thought I might sort out a setup today.

Nowhere on the same level as your ones but here is my very compact L mount full frame RAW anamorphic setup.

FP_ANA_2.thumb.jpg.1929ec4633df4566e5a79895a2d4150d.jpg

Taking lens is the Sigma 45mm and the (currently) less than ideal anamorphic element is provided courtesy of a pretty fucked SLR Magic Anamorphot-40 1.33x Compact.

I got the Anamorphot-40 very cheap used about 18 months ago and it literally fell apart like a clown car the second time I tried to use it and as you can see it hasn't fully been re-constructed as yet !

Obviously, when picking up the separate parts of it I managed to get barrel grease all over the elements (front and back of both of them no less) so it needs a proper clean as well as a few more screws.

I think I might persevere with that though as I think it will be worth the effort as even in its current smeary condition its got some promise from the couple of quick tests I did.

FP_ANA.thumb.jpg.749610121528a1b3254edb1fcfbb425c.jpg

That is the best images I've seen from that adapter, everything else I've seen has been hot garbage.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

That is the best images I've seen from that adapter, everything else I've seen has been hot garbage.

Ah...so maybe breaking it and covering it in barrel grease is the secret.

I need to do a YouTube video about it immediately with a thumbnail of me holding it at arms length in front of the camera whilst doing an open mouthed shocked face ;) 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I love the video light, I guess you get really smooth, unoffensive looking footage with it. I find many top lights are way too harsh.

Funnily enough, it actually does give off a nice light but it being solar does make it a little impractical ;)

42 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Don't forget to point to it with your other hand.

I think I've nailed it.

With a bonus for using Comic Sans.

YouTubeHack.jpg.38bd32f5bff3dfd86b6757b0409c38c3.jpg

• Administrators

Going to go back out when the sun is out, they are a bit flat! But shows the combo is working without vignetting. At 85mm the vignette is pretty bad so 100mm does seem like minimum for the GFX 100 anamorphic adventure.

Somebody should make a fake anamorphic iris for the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4. That would be fantastic on Leica SL2 in 4K 60p S35

Wow, really cool!

Only thing I have close to MF video is my Fuji GFX50R, which isn't that great for movies.
Though, I have not actually used it for movies.
Wonder how it would upscale with the Topaz Video app... ?

• Super Members

Still very restricted here about how far we can go from home but managed to use some of our allotted exercise slot this evening to take a bit more footage with the FP/45mm/Anamorphot.

And yes, that is a snake in the bottom left of the top picture.

And yes, I did shit myself when I saw it.

FP_ANA3.thumb.jpg.9cf3625e2700fa625d57b96040bb6ef2.jpg

Andrew... get your hands on an Aivascope 1.75X MK2 (or wait for the MK3), it’s a freaking BEAST. I wouldn’t say it kicks my tunes Kowa 16-H straight in the crotch, but it sure as heck kicks it in the shins a bit. I got mine with a single focus on front for under US$800, after seeing the image it feels like highway robbery. 

It’s as wide as my Kowa. Anyone who’s been around the anamorphic block for a decade or so will grasp the weight of that statement.

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I just wish for the dual focus lenses, that the front variable diopters were a bit smaller and lighter. They are all 72mm+ monsters!

You should get the Rapido FVD8 or ProtoDNA then, they aren't that big and heavy and are the right thing for your 8mm scopes. I use them with my kowa 8 and isco-8 scopes.

Hi,

it is an realy interesting look in the medium format anamorphic images. I am looking forward to see it in motion.  But I think using the Panasonic S1 in  ~6K Photo Mode and 4:3 ratio is a big competitor and not so expensiv.  Ok, you can only record 10 minutes, but I dont want to make interview movies.  Here an example image

Ways.jpg

and here the final How-To-Corona-Clip:

Used: S1 + VLog, 58mm Helios, Isco Ultrastar Red and the great FVD-16A from Rapido Technology.

Best regards

Ingo

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Some shots from the Baby Hypergonar on GFX 100

The trick here is apparently to use a lens with a rear element as small as your thumb.

On a sensor the size of the albert hall.

Light works in mysterious ways.

GFX13740.jpg

GFX137400007.jpg

GFX13740_1.jpg

16 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Andrew... get your hands on an Aivascope 1.75X MK2 (or wait for the MK3), it’s a freaking BEAST. I wouldn’t say it kicks my tunes Kowa 16-H straight in the crotch, but it sure as heck kicks it in the shins a bit. I got mine with a single focus on front for under US$800, after seeing the image it feels like highway robbery. 

It’s as wide as my Kowa. Anyone who’s been around the anamorphic block for a decade or so will grasp the weight of that statement.

The Aivascope 1.75x would cover GFX 100 with what focal length lens, please?