A Short Video about G.A.S. shot with S1H

jgharding

Hi all,

This short vlog may be of interest as it's just a little chat about the dreaded Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and shot on S1H

All natural light, VLOG 10-bit 4K 25fps full frame, I used a Tiffen Black Promist 1/4 and some stos of ND, Lens is the L mount Panasonic 50mm 1.4

Lighting is a window and a large silver reflector

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lovin it. Filmed some leefs and branches moving in the wind outside my window today. Light was glowing. My dirty window glass giving beautifuls distortion to the image. Filmed in 8bit internal SLOG with my latest GAS powered Sony F3 and Tokina 28-70. Heavy beast of a camera, which will heal my GAS! Shot the same sight with my Panny S1 afterwards, 8bit rec709 profile. Both cameras gave me beautiful images. What an afternoon, feeling completely satisfied :) Loved the text of your video @jgharding

• Administrators

Haha great stuff. Liked the video a lot @jgharding

It's true, you reach a point where you have so many tools you don't use any of them. The EOSHD blog adds an even more warped motivation for me. I have no choice but to keep buying cameras and lenses!!! I enjoy it like a crack addict enjoys coke. I never wanted to become an obsolete camera collector or lens museum though, and even less want to become a shop. So the things just kind of sit there like the void staring back at me. Buying fancy stuff is only part of what inspired me to start shooting. I do enjoy it, but I enjoy a good shoot even more.

It is something that doesn't just apply to creatives.... much of how we've organised our civilisations all boils down to this constant cycle of acquisitions and never settling with what we have or pausing progress long enough to taste it.

The other paradox of this syndrome is that it instantly devalues what you already have. You can spend a fortune and lots of time on effort researching a tool, only to get it, love it, use it for a week, and then feel the urge for the NEXT adventure straight after before you've even scratched the surface of the creative possibilities that just opened up before you. A prime example of this for me was when I got the Fuji X-H1. The A7 III came along on the same first proper shoot as that, so half the time was spent wondering which shot to do with which camera. Very distracting. Then after the A7 III up pops the Panasonic S1 and Fuji X-T3. By this point the X-H1 was sat on the shelf for weeks on end while I dabbled with 4K/60p, and the A7 III wasn't coming out on any shoots at all. So why did I bother spending all that money on either of them only to upstage both of them within months?

This constant churn of gear is basically one long syndrome of addiction, brief enlightenment and disappointment. I don't know how to stop it. I liked it best when everything was either rubbish or expensive, apart from a GH2. I stuck with that for ages and actually created something.

• Super Members
38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

This constant churn of gear is basically one long syndrome of addiction, brief enlightenment and disappointment. I don't know how to stop it. 

Maybe get yourself a cheap 2nd hand Panasonic FZ2000.

Its got everything needed

• Big lens range with OIS
  • Internal NDs
  • VLOG
  • Flip out articulating screen
  • Decent battery life
  • Decent codec 

Then just restrict yourself to using that and only that for a month or whatever.

The restriction will probably get you going again creatively as it takes the "what if?" factor out of the equation and at the end of the month you'll have likely gained a clear set of requirements of what it is you actually need and can then put those packages together out of what you've got.

Seems counter intuitive to buy another camera to stop you buying more cameras but spending £500 on that one will get you closer to enlightenment than buying another lens !

Then when you're done with it, it'll make the perfect camera for your upcoming series of YouTube rants ;) 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The X-T4 is like a S35 version of that for run & gun. With the 18-135mm it's a real shot grabber

Only lacks the internal ND.

Yeah, the external ND thing is a lot less of a pain in the arse if you just have a single zoom like that and can just leave it on without titting about with different sizes and step up/down rings.

I didn't realise that Fuji have just released that GF45-100mm f4 OIS though so ignore everything I said about the FZ2000 and buy that for your GFX100 instead.

That combo is definitely a contender for "and then turn the internet off" status ;) 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

For a zoom that isn't even 3x? 

Naaaahhhhh.... there will also be that "next combo" to lust over. 

The beauty of this though is that because this combo is £12K you can lust all you want over the next combo but you'll be too skint to afford it ;)

A sub 3x zoom doesn't bother me though to be honest.

None of the high end zooms I used for work (14-24,24-70,70-200,120-300,200-400 and 300-800) are 3x or above and I could live with this as I did with them as a "this lens plus one prime" kit with the additional one being a wide or long some distance focal length wise from the range that the zoom covered.

Its obviously not going to cut it range wise as an ENG lens of course but then, to be fair, neither is the camera its going to be mounted to.

Its a pity that the 1.4x TC isn't compatible with the 45-100 as having that in my pocket would cover a multitude of sins as well because when you are £12K in whats the difference in another £800 between friends ;)

• Administrators

If I only had to keep one camera at the moment...

Let's see.

I like grading LOG but don't like monitoring with it. Needs a good view assist. Or a really good standard picture profile. I am addicted to Classic Negative at the moment on the X-T4 and the Teal & Orange on Fp for something even more stylised. But doesn't suite everything like Classic Negative. Let's say X-T4 makes a good case for itself here and the Pana S1 with it's in-camera LUT support.

Next, only having one lens is a challenge, because I've jettisoned the rest into the skip and can only keep one. If it's the X-T4, it'll have to be the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 C (newest one) or Fuji 18-135mm. These do everything. Think I'd choose the Sigma for the macro and faster aperture. If it's the Panasonic S1, I'd go with a prime and forget about the terrible AF. A good 35mm F2 so at least you have wide angle and 50mm in Super 35mm mode. F2 to keep the size down. Let's call it Voigtlander 35mm F1.8 Ultron or Zeiss ZM 35mm F2. Unless close focus is needed, then it'd have to be the small Minolta AF 35mm F2.0, lovely rendering and simple to manually focus.

If I am truly going to box myself in, I'd have to choose between S1 with the prime and X-T4 now. Tricky one.

Don't think I'd pick either actually.

Sigma Fp with Canon 28-70mm F2.8 EF (old version). It's parfocal. Good manual focus. Full frame. S35 crop gives you more reach. Can shoot RAW internal. No IBIS stops you being lazy and getting nicer shots on a tripod instead. Great colour and codec options. Just no EVF or articulated screen, which could be tricky sometimes.

Nope having just one camera is impossible.

I'd keep all 3 and then turn the internet off and use the GFX 100 instead.

Hmm, this is one of the coolest threads about gear this year so far imho. Minolta AF 35mm 2.0- thank you for this great info, Andrew!

I would keep my newly acquired Sony F3. I was amazed about the internal SLOG in 8bit 420. I don´t think its internal image is worse than from the C100 mk1+2 nor from the old C300. Need to hook up my Shogun if I can find it- talking about GAS and not using stuff:) Would keep the S1 and get the VLOG update and would love to buy the 28-50 Canon FD. I´m a sucker for 28mm on S35 or at least speedboosted MFT format. Last piece of gear this year, of course! Would keep my GX85. Inspires me like the G6 before.

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The beauty of this though is that because this combo is £12K you can lust all you want over the next combo but you'll be too skint to afford it ;)

A sub 3x zoom doesn't bother me though to be honest.

None of the high end zooms I used for work (14-24,24-70,70-200,120-300,200-400 and 300-800) are 3x or above and I could live with this as I did with them as a "this lens plus one prime" kit with the additional one being a wide or long some distance focal length wise from the range that the zoom covered.

Its obviously not going to cut it range wise as an ENG lens of course but then, to be fair, neither is the camera its going to be mounted to.

True, although 24-70 and 70-200 are very close to 3x!
(and there are lenses which are basically kinda the equivalent, and do match that 3x zoom exactly: such as the newly announced Tokina 25-75mm, or the Tamron 70-210mm)

Short zoom ranges are less of a problem for photographers, it isn't unusual to see a news/wedding/event photographer with two camera bodies slung from their body, each body with a different lens on it. 

Yet to see anybody running around carrying 2x EVA1/FS7/C300/whatever bodies at once!

I went to go look up what dream "all purpose" zoom lens would I get instead of a Fujifilm GF 45-100mm f/4, but wow... I had to look up its price first! (so I'd pick a lens with a matching price)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=45-100mm&N=0
For a brand new medium format lens, $2.3K is surprisingly "cheap"! :-o Wasn't expecting it to be that "affordable". (as that is the other problem with medium format, not only are their bodies expensive, but so is their glass! Body prices are coming down, wonder how long until digital medium format is cheap enough for Sigma or one of the chinese third parties to jump in and make 3rd Party AF medium format lenses on the cheap?)

Guess that rules out me mentioning even the "cheap" Canon 18-80mm T4.4 instead as my desirable lens! Even the cheap Fujinon MK18-55mm T2.9 is a bit out of range. There is a dearth of choices of 3x+ cinema zooms cheaper than that Fujifilm GF lens! The DZOFilm DZO 20-70mm T2.9 I suppose. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd keep all 3 and then turn the internet off and use the GFX 100 instead.

But then you wont hear about the GFX 150.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The DZOFilm DZO 20-70mm T2.9 I suppose. 

A very versatile focal range in my opinion.

For MFT the Oly 12-100 f4 is an amazing lens for just about anything. I think the FF f8 equiv. DoF is a feature not a detriment. 

A lot of us can’t help it! It’s a human tendency to want the next best thing and never be happy with what we have.

To be honest I had a itch to pull out my wallet and replace my GH5S...XT-4? S1H?... Then this global pandemic hit and quarantine happened. We also decided to move and sell our house so I naturally grabbed my camera and documented it.

To be honest the more I was creative with my camera the more I enjoyed using it to create something. The image with V-LogL is quite fantastic. I decided to use Buttery LUTs in an attempt to just shoot and focus my attention on exposure and white balance and not mess around too much in post (Some screenshots below).

We don't think about the specs of our hammer when we use it, we think about what we are making with it.

So that's the mentality I'm going remind myself to use.

Some other conclusions: I am 100% convinced I prefer glidecam/shoulder strap stabilization and locked-off tripod shots over a gimbal (so I'm selling my dusty Weebill S).

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

Screenshot 4.jpg

screenshot 5.jpg

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

A lot of us can’t help it! It’s a human tendency to want the next best thing and never be happy with what we have.

To be honest I had a itch to pull out my wallet and replace my GH5S...XT-4? S1H?... Then this global pandemic hit and quarantine happened. We also decided to move and sell our house so I naturally grabbed my camera and documented it.

To be honest the more I was creative with my camera the more I enjoyed using it to create something. The image with V-LogL is quite fantastic. I decided to use Buttery LUTs in an attempt to just shoot and focus my attention on exposure and white balance and not mess around too much in post (Some screenshots below).

I love that top shot of the bed!!
Most cameras these days are very capable. I don't love Pana colors but there are a lot of people doing amazing luts out there now that really negates the problem.

I've been thinking about purchasing the buttery LUT for my Fuji and BM Ursa Mini, maybe so I can get them to match easier. Unfortunately their LUT for Fuji is only for flog not HLG. Fuji Flog gives some nasty artifacts sometimes. I wish fuji would sort it out, almost considering selling off all my fuji gear because of it.