Enjoying the Panasonic S1 again

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

What a gem this camera is.

I always get distracted by what else is coming out - GFX 100, SL2, X-T4, and the list goes on.

But when I look at my footage shot in Asia and Berlin on the GH2, I realised how effective locked down shots are with manual focus. Back when we had to use a tripod... Even the slightest shake is a distraction. There was no racking or AF during a shot either, that just ruined things. This was before follow focuses were common on mirrorless cameras... and the AF, well, it was useful for AF-S to lock off a subject and then you'd record and keep it there.

I continue to come back to the S1 because it is the spiritual successor to the GH2. It's not expensive (well, compared to an S1H or cine camera) so it's aimed at the same people. It's relatively small, smaller than an C200 or FS5 for example which are the smallest popular cine cameras. It has a very good battery and huge EVF. The IBIS is tip top. The image in V-LOG, 10bit 150Mbit astounding, yet the file sizes remain much smaller than 400Mbit ALL-I. The 4K 10bit image quality difference to the S1H hardly exists. The ability to load a LUT onto the live-view display and shoot with your favourite one - what other mirrorless camera does that for £1500?! It is amazing in low light, it's full frame, and you can leave the tripod at home.

I would take either over the X-T4 as it stands, good though that is.

Now the GFX 100 is marvellous... but it's £8k even used! The SL2 would be wonderful if it actually shot 4K without the battery error, so that ruins that. The Sony A7 III is fine, but the image just doesn't hold a candle to the S1.

So putting autofocus to one side and just shooting nice stuff the classic way... there is no better tool than the S1.

If you want to use manual lenses with IBIS and shoot 4K 10bit LOG, the S1 is the best camera out there, especially for the price. Although the Sigma Fp doesn't have the same amount of features or an EVF, or yet a LOG profile, I rate that highly as well.

Will do a round up of all the current cameras soon on EOSHD.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Puh, I had to thank you for this before even read completely. I had been worried about the expense due to the current times. Bought it last year as my Christmas gift and have been struggling a bit. I took me a few talks and evenings with friends to really start to appreciate this camera. But these talks about lenses and my thinking about lens choices and FOV and all that gave me back that exitement. Awesome to be able to shoot with a beast like this. Putting a Unitor branded Soligor 35-70mm 2.5-3.5 zoom  on there and cinema heaven is at your palms. Now all one has to do is to put it infront of the camera as well. cheers and thanks for all that inspiration all those years, @Andrew Reid

28 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I continue to come back to the S1 because it is the spiritual successor to the GH2. It's not expensive (well, compared to an S1H or cine camera) so it's aimed at the same people. It's relatively small, smaller than an C200 or FS5 for example which are the smallest popular cine cameras.

Love this part! Massive camera. So is the resolution. It really takes a while to get used to it. Even with super wide 20mm Canon FD at 2.8 it seemed hyperreal.

40 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Puh, I had to thank you for this before even read completely. I had been worried about the expense due to the current times. Bought it last year as my Christmas gift and have been struggling a bit. I took me a few talks and evenings with friends to really start to appreciate this camera. But these talks about lenses and my thinking about lens choices and FOV and all that gave me back that exitement. Awesome to be able to shoot with a beast like this. Putting a Unitor branded Soligor 35-70mm 2.5-3.5 zoom  on there and cinema heaven is at your palms. Now all one has to do is to put it infront of the camera as well. cheers and thanks for all that inspiration all those years, @Andrew Reid

Is this the lens you use ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Unitor-MC-35-70mm-2-5-3-5-Auto-Zoom-Macro-Lens-Objektiv-fuer-Minolta-MD-200418-/332709335390

and adapter ..

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Manual-Lens-Adapter-for-Minolta-MD-Mount-Lens-to-Leica-Panasonic-L-Mount-Camera-/183932948688

Yeah, despite the size and weight, I am really beginning to like the camera a lot (I come from Sony and Nikon DSLRs, which are small and light compared to the S1).

Yes, the IBIS and the clarity of the screen when punching in make it a joy to use manual focus glass on it, too.

I think the "secret weapon" of the S1 series though is the lenses. I know the actual Panaonic lenses aren't super popular since they are expensive, and since there is the MC-21 adapter and so many people have Canon EF lenses already (or have realized that Canon EF lenses are a lot cheaper than new Panasonic glass). But even the kit lens has some great features, namely that you can set it to have a linear focus throw,  and set the amount of rotation angle to go from MFD to infinity, and that it is pretty close to parfocal (close enough for pulling focus between a couple of people in a scene) and has minimal focus breathing (again, good enough for most scenes when pulling focus between actors talking together in a scene).

Haven't tried it out yet, but if memory serves, I think I can connect my Weebill S via USB C to my S1 and use the follow focus wheel on the Weebill S to pull focus with Panasonic lenses. (Don't think this works with adapted Canon EF lenses on the MC-21, but will have to test this out when I get a chance).

37 minutes ago, omega1978 said:

Is this the lens you use ?

Indeed. Just for FD mount though. You can get the lens for less than 20 usd. I also have the version with separate focus and zoom rings, which I think is preferred. It is creamy and still pleasantly resolving. Highly recommanded. My FD adapter is from cieco, an adapter manufactor from Poland. It is pretty unique in not having a locking ring like the other FD adapters have. Beautifully build.

21 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Indeed. Just for FD mount though. You can get the lens for less than 20 usd. I also have the version with separate focus and zoom rings, which I think is preferred. It is creamy and still pleasantly resolving. Highly recommanded. My FD adapter is from cieco, an adapter manufactor from Poland. It is pretty unique in not having a locking ring like the other FD adapters have. Beautifully build.

Thank you !

Have you this adapter ?

https://c7adapters.com/en/product/canon_fd_-_l-mount/112

I like the S1 and still considering one but has 2 negatives for me and those are it’s size and the AF.

Really I would need to test one, with a lens, (obviously) but that’s not a very easy thing to do in rural South West France...

IMHO Panasonic invested too much on the EVF and LCD. They should have left that high quality of both solely for the S1H. And priced the S1 at $2000 to compete with the A7iii (which has way superior autofocus and much faster shooting rate). Also the S1 should have had Dual SD card slots, instead of one SD and one XQD.

Pricing it at $2000 would have ensured it sold way more than it did.

It would be interesting to care about a comparative against the S1H:

- and check how the latter justifies the premium to pay from the outcome;

- and as farther is able to excel it?

I and many others would tend to bet, I guess.

Or not as much expected?

https://***URL removed***/articles/2491201838/do-i-need-the-panasonic-s1h-or-is-the-s1-with-log-upgrade-just-as-good

https://wolfcrow.com/panasonic-s1h-vs-panasonic-s1-which-is-the-better-investment-for-video/

Still wondering about, no less versus against their MFT line and the GH6 to come for a fraction of the price.

I worry about the system succeeding but love the lenses and body. It seems to be much more expensive in the US than other countries which is unusual. The CF Express does show advantages in burst mode (there's pretty much an infinite buffer) but without AF it's obviously got limited use. They must cost an awful lot more to produce than the A7 III; not just the EVF/LCD but pretty much the whole body. I get they could have priced it lower but they'd still have the problem of the poor C-AF and seriously limited range of (expensive) lenses (although you can adapt a huge range of course) so I'm not sure they'd have enough to differentiate. I bought mine as I loved the ergonomics and quality of the body (and it was well priced). I've never regretted buying it but I would consider something like the R5 with FF 4k60/120 and good AF.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Still wondering about, no less versus against their MFT line and the GH6 to come for a fraction of the price.

S1 has some crazy tricks up its sleeves. Shooting at ISO 4000 in super low light and pushing it to 12800 eq. I would rate it four stops above a GH5. It has insanely high resolving 4K and astonishing colour reproduction at high ISOs. Putting a cheapish wide angle on the large sensor is satisfying and saving your bank savings.:) The more expensive S1H has the glorious open gate full sensor readout afaik. Interesting enough I have not seen impressive footage shot with it. People keep flooding youtube with their findings of flowers and slomo hair parade. GH2 users have done impressively better back then.

@omega1978@Andrew Reid Guys, how about recording to a Shogun Flame. My camera didnt allow me to record externally to it. Any ideas? Have latest firmwares on both. It gives a signal and an image to the monitor. But thats where it already ends. @omega, I would wait for a better price, as you might have another opinion than me about the qualities of this lens.:) I paid little for it.

13 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I think the "secret weapon" of the S1 series though is the lenses. I know the actual Panaonic lenses aren't super popular since they are expensive

The Panasonic lenses are expensive because they are extremely well built and feature-full. Even the 24-105 F4 is a beast with everything you mentioned and semi-macro ability.

Imagine if it had PDAF...it would have sold much, much better.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems to be the best on the market as far as at least in the hybrid category. 

Don't they share the same sensor as the Z6 and A73 ?

Looking at this comparison (side by side 0 I like the A73 better.