Hands-up who remembers Francis Ford Coppola preferring the GH2

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I do too...

I also remember how hard people were on the RED camera person.

Apparently, if you:

1. Know how to get the most out of your camera.

2. Are in a controlled studio environment so you can compensate for weaknesses in your camera’s dynamic range with lighting.

3.  Have color grading skills so you can further compensate for weakness in your camera’s dynamic range with power windows.

There is the distinct possibility that you can evoke an emotional response out of your audience that competes with the response to cameras that cost 10 times as much or more.

I think this is equally true today if some were skilled with a pocket 6k or GH5, lighting and color grading vs someone less skilled with a RED.

3 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

I think this is equally true today if some were skilled with a pocket 6k or GH5, lighting and color grading vs someone less skilled with a RED.

Also because the actual IQ difference between a RED and a P6k is almost none, aside from resolution on the 8k REDs

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

file004134.jpg

I remember that it highlighted how the big guys try to overstate and thus oversell the much higher priced gear. So that when Coppola chose the GH2, it created a huge furore. The outcome was that the Zacuto Shootout was completely scrapped. That was the last year of the shootout.

Curiously, Panasonic never advertised this fact in its advertising (which like I've been saying the longest, is rather lack lustre). They could have sold the GH2 like crazy, just based on this fact alone.

Also, curiously, while the 5D Mark ii sold extremely well as a video and photo shooter, the much cheaper GH2 seemed to find much fewer takers. 

• Super Members

To spare the expense of buying one, I think you could use a single GH2 if you wanted a video challenge with it.

Start with someone who doesn't mind being parted with it for a while, they make a film over two days with it and then they post it on to the next person who does the same over two days and then sends it on etc until it gets back to the original owner.

Even for people who don't own any MFT lenses there are plenty of adapters on eBay for under £10 so its not going to break the bank to take part.

As forum members are spread out all over the world, it would be quite an interesting project even if the subject was just "one day where I live".

If no one fancies parting with their own GH2, it wouldn't exactly be difficult to throw £10 each into the PayPal account of someone trusted to group buy one off eBay.

I know of a cheap one for sale in Cairo.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

To spare the expense of buying one, I think you could use a single GH2 if you wanted a video challenge with it.

Start with someone who doesn't mind being parted with it for a while, they make a film over two days with it and then they post it on to the next person who does the same over two days and then sends it on etc until it gets back to the original owner.

Even for people who don't own any MFT lenses there are plenty of adapters on eBay for under £10 so its not going to break the bank to take part.

As forum members are spread out all over the world, it would be quite an interesting project even if the subject was just "one day where I live".

If no one fancies parting with their own GH2, it wouldn't exactly be difficult to throw £10 each into the PayPal account of someone trusted to group buy one off eBay.

I know of a cheap one for sale in Cairo.

i'll refrain from commenting about your last statement, pretty sure most people will pick up on what your alluding too 😁

mr reid will have a store/ cart set soon up it seems, it would seem appropriate people could buy a $10 ticket through the store perhaps. considering it would be passed on i imagine the thread might go on for some period of time. Which may show some differences from areas of lockdown to less locked down.  I do suggest the addition of a cheap gps be thrown into the box i'd like to see how many k's that thing clocks up. Could be the recipe for an interesting blog.

6 hours ago, noone said:

There is one GH2 on Ebay Australia, no bids , just over a day to go starting $214.61 plus $20 postage (charger, 4 batteries and flash)..      Tempting.

i'll go you halves we can do our own gh2 continental video challenge any other aussie / kiwi interested parties ?

So many thoughts and memories about that Zacuto shootout. What an amazing time that was. The 5D was certainly the catalyst to the DSLR revolution, but the GH2 was the true champion of it. I think the results directly influenced camera and accessory manufacturers moving forward. I don't think there's a need to ever do another challenge though. By this point, everyone knows that the gap between say a BMPCC4K and an Alexa is narrow enough for 90% of users. 

GH2 and EOSHD got me hooked to this way of filmmaking. Dpreview and Steve Huff with their reviews into the GF1 and EP2, two mft photo cameras. All three got me into gas. I thank you for that.:) I also remember Andrews article about Shane Carute and Upstream Colour. Would love to see that film in Bluray quality some day!

Just read into the article again. It´s a gem: "Sometimes to crush the blacks makes what detail you still have in the lows more noticeable. A greater contrast and a greater tonality. Colt’s best move here was to increase fill lighting to bring up detail in the blacks but the colourist and camera maintained a punchy high contrast to the image."

To be honest I don't think it means very much. The opinion of a colorist would be worth a lot more to me. 

That said for someone who shot most of his work on film its interesting to see he loved the image from the GH2. It definitely shows that the camera really doesn't matter that much if you light things well. People saying that they can spot the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit or 8 bit and 16 bit becomes irrelevant when 99% of the audience can't tell, especially considering 99% of the audience will undoubtable have less experience with film than Francis Ford Coppola. 

Of course on the other hand if you are dealing with tricky or natural lighting that's a completely different ballpark. I've noticed BTS from a lot of movies nowadays seem to be using much less lighting. I recall a scene from Tenent where all they had was a diffusion panel(or maybe it was a bounce, don't recall). 

3 hours ago, leslie said:

i'll go you halves we can do our own gh2 continental video challenge any other aussie / kiwi interested parties ?

Great idea but I just spent my last "spare*" money on a new flash and an old 60-120 2.8 lens a few hours before.

* The electricity bill can wait a couple of weeks overdue.

5 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I don't think there's a need to ever do another challenge though. By this point, everyone knows that the gap between say a BMPCC4K and an Alexa is narrow enough for 90% of users. 

its not just about the camera. There are other reasons why one might participate.

7 minutes ago, leslie said:

its not just about the camera. There are other reasons why one might participate.

I could be misremembering since it has been a while since I watched the challenge, but I believe the whole goal of it was to question if the image of the "best" cameras really were the "best". The challenged proved the point that even cheap cameras have reached the point where they are in the same ballpark as the big guys. Thus emphasizing that the other aspects of filmmaking like lighting, audio, blocking, and story are things to focus on. So again, I feel that there's no need for this image-centric type of test.