cheap (ish) wireless lav for 3.5mm camera?

no_connection

So we apparently need this so I thought I would ask for some advise.

Sennheiser XSW-D portable lavalier set

Røde Wireless GO + Sennheiser ME 2-II Lavalier mic

Something in that price range, still think it's a bit much.

Camera atm is Nikon D5200 so it is what it is for now.

With any luck that might change to p4k in the future but economics is getting in the way.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a secondhand Sony UWP-D11 (or a Sennheiser G3, which is the same price pretty much secondhand, although in my opinion Sony is superior). There is also their newer models: Sony UWP-D21 and Sennheiser G4 (although, in my opinion the G4 isn't worth the extra value over the older cheaper G3 because the G4 isn't an update of note at all for their entry level).

There is also the Deity Connect Wireless to consider, which provides better value on a per channel basis. 

26 minutes ago, no_connection said:

From memory, didn't the D5200 have a somewhat hissy mic preamp? You might want to pick up a Tascam DR60Dmk2 as well. (or even better, a MixPre3mk2 if you can)

Thanks. Yes it's not that great of a camera but it have to do for now. We have a Zoom recorder as well but syncing is too much for the ppl using it.

It will be used for some shot clips and talk to the camera shorts, probably some lecture style presentation maybe

How bad are the products I listed compared? By the looks of it Sennheiser XSW-D is about half price of Sony UWP-D21 or maybe bit less depending on taxes and where I can get it.

I bought a few Rodelink Wireless film maker sets in the past year and have been pretty happy with them.

I've upgraded the stock mics to Oscar sound tech lavs, and the transmitter/receiver packs are huge/bulky, but the system has been good to me and I've been able to buy them as 'new-open box' items on ebay for under $250 a set. Then I added around $120 or so for the Oscar sound tech lav

Ironfilm is correct though, those Sony packs are great. They're expensive, but so nice. They go on sale several times a year for like $400 a set or something crazy. If you can wait for that or find a deal, it's definitely a big step up from any of the 2.4 GHz stuff.

1 hour ago, no_connection said:

Thanks. Yes it's not that great of a camera but it have to do for now.

The D5200 isn't that bad for making pretty pictures, the D5200 (and successors) would be one of the best 1080 Super35 DSLRs? (note my precise specifics... narrowing the niche down)

Andrew Reid has spoken about the D5200 a few times, was a big factor as to why I purchased one myself:

https://www.eoshd.com/review/nikon-d5200-review/

https://www.eoshd.com/news/is-the-cheap-nikon-d5200-a-better-option-than-d800-for-video-no-moire-aliasing-and-good-detail/

https://www.eoshd.com/news/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

We have a Zoom recorder as well but syncing is too much for the ppl using it.

Tell them to clap twice at the start of each take. Then autosync by waveforms in post. 

How bad are the products I listed compared?

They're bad.

They're both underpowered anaemic 2.4GHz systems. (although this would be sufficient for some purposes, such as vloggers who are never more than an arm length's away from their cameras)

And that's just for starters, the Wireless GO for instance lacks a locking connector for the lav! A major negative. 

59 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Ironfilm is correct though, those Sony packs are great. They're expensive, but so nice.

It is all relative though, compared to the new prices for the usual run of the mill professional wireless in usage then the prosumer Sony wireless is a screaming good deal at a mere fraction of their price. 

31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is all relative though, compared to the new prices for the usual run of the mill professional wireless in usage then the prosumer Sony wireless is a screaming good deal at a mere fraction of their price. 

no doubt, the sony is a great deal for what it gives you. It's just an even better deal when B&H puts them on sale every once in awhile for like half off.

I Can't see it the same at the normal price now lol

11 hours ago, no_connection said:

So we apparently need this so I thought I would ask for some advise.

Sennheiser XSW-D portable lavalier set

Røde Wireless GO + Sennheiser ME 2-II Lavalier mic

Something in that price range, still think it's a bit much.

With any luck that might change to p4k in the future but economics is getting in the way.

What will they be used for? And how often? 

Iron Film will kill me but if it's for really basic use look into something like the Sokani Tiny/FotoWelt Air (they're the same.) It doesn't make a ton of sense to spend hundreds on a wireless system that will not be used very often / will only be used in a small area.

If it's going to get heavy use then definitely look into the Sony system. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

What will they be used for? And how often? 

Iron Film will kill me but if it's for really basic use look into something like the Sokani Tiny/FotoWelt Air (they're the same.) It doesn't make a ton of sense to spend hundreds on a wireless system that will not be used very often / will only be used in a small area.

It's ok, I won't kill you :-)

As how/why you'll use anything is an important question to ask. 

Back in my first comment I said:
"(although this would be sufficient for some purposes, such as vloggers who are never more than an arm length's away from their cameras)"

Yes, even Rode Wireless GO etc have their place!

Honestly if they're going to be inside and won't be any further than say 100 feet from the camera something like the Sokani Tiny/FotoWelt Air will be fine. If syncing in post is too advanced for them then I honestly doubt they'll hear much of a difference between something like that and something 2 or 3 times the price, given they don't seemed too concerned with quality. But knowing more about what they want to do with them, etc. will help us give better advice. For $99US though that might be an option. It's also UHF. 

I've also personally had good luck with the Azden XD unit I got a couple years ago on sale from B&H. It's under $200 and I've never had a problem. I really do hate though the internal rechargeable batteries all these systems are going with. For these ultra compact set ups I get it, but still it'd be nice to be able to easily get some AAs heaven forbid I need more power. All of these internal solutions have a shelf life because of them. 

I got them mixed up, it's a D5100. No manual control and auto ISO in steps is fun... I'm lobbying for an upgrade btw.

I can see spending 99$ or 150$ for something cheaper that does the job and works for the use right now.

But I didn't want to spend 250-300$ on something not good enough to be used later.

For anything that would really need something more involved, meaning the tech crew would be involved we could just use the rack mounted Shure units.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, newfoundmass said:

Honestly if they're going to be inside and won't be any further than say 100 feet from the camera something like the Sokani Tiny/FotoWelt Air will be fine.

I personally would be extremely skeptical about them being able to consistently get 100ft indoors, what if there is a wall or two between the actor and the receiver? What if there are multiple actors/extras between the TX and RX? What about other RF pollution on set from the camera/lighting departments?

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I personally would be extremely skeptical about them being able to consistently get 100ft indoors, what if there is a wall or two between the actor and the receiver? What if there are multiple actors/extras between the TX and RX? What about other RF pollution on set from the camera/lighting departments?

I don't know that the OP is going to be dealing with all that stuff and given they'd be using it with a 9 year old camera I feel like it's safe to say they're doing pretty basic work. I even kinda felt like @no_connection might feel like getting a wireless solution is unnecessary, based on his phrasing, but that his client/boss wants one for whatever reason.

Obviously if it's necessary to spend more, and you have the budget, go for something nicer! 

After seeing the latest clip they made with half of it in focus, sound was the least problem we had it seems. Well what sparked it was a broken wired lav but it is pretty clear it needed to be easier to use.

I guess it's replan time and ether match something up with a phone or getting something like a gopro and reframe in post, or in camera if it has zoom.