Vimeo Subscription Up For Renewal - Ditch?

User

Does anyone remember when Vimeo's player went down back in January?  As you know I do i complained to Vimeo support and said I had a few client embedded videos and some client review links that were critical to be up and running. They said they were working on it.  The next day I get a warning on my Vimeo account that my account needed to be upgraded to Pro or Business since my production company was for commercial use.  I had the Plus account and have been with them for 4 years.  I pointed out that I had 9 or so public videos that promoted my company on the Vimeo page and that the other 3-4,000 were private edit links for review only.  They said I was hosting client work (2-3 videos on embedded to client sites) and that that had to be on the upgrade accounts.  I took those 2-3 client videos down and they kept changing the terms of use with every email reply. 

It got to the point that they kept changing the rules for the Plus account and actually said my account was reported to then as in-violation and that's why they flagged it.  After asking who reported my and why they denied that that's what they meant.  

I use You Tube now.

It is my understanding that videos on Vimeo looks the same on all browsers and with You Tube you get different looks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, rawshooter said:

Once AV1 will be ready for the masses, hosting your own videos will just be a matter of uploading them to your web site/blog and hosting them the same way you host & serve still images.

Isn't the problem the video player and delivery? 

On 5/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, rawshooter said:

hosting your own videos will just be a matter of uploading them to your web site/blog and hosting them the same way you host & serve still images.

Vimeo and You Tube have solved the video player issue and the standard on page display issue.  It's not as easy as "uploading them to your web site/blog and hosting them the same way you host & serve still images."

I build and maintain a lot of wordpress sites and embedding videos hosted on your server through the wordpress site are a pain in the ass.  I'm talking about the video player and how it displays on your site. This has been going on for years. 

Vimeo and You Tube also do the heavy lifting as far as hosting goes.  So for YOU to act as the server for streaming videos then you have to pay a lot more to host your site.

4 hours ago, Super8 said:

Vimeo and You Tube have solved the video player issue and the standard on page display issue.  It's not as easy as "uploading them to your web site/blog and hosting them the same way you host & serve still images."

I build and maintain a lot of wordpress sites and embedding videos hosted on your server through the wordpress site are a pain in the ass.  I'm talking about the video player and how it displays on your site. This has been going on for years. 

Have you ever heard of the HTML <video> tag? The times where you had to embed players (back in the days, via Adobe Flash) are gone for 10 years now.

What exactly is the "video player issue and the standard on page display issue"?

I tell you what: they don't exist, and you're just making up nonsense, like you always do here, because you are a full of shit.

"I build and maintain a lot of wordpress sites" - yes, and you also hire and direct DPs from Disney and have internal connections to Canon, among many other things that you wrote here before.

Your postings are not only bullshit, they poison this forum (and people looking for advice) with wrong information.

Can somebody please check your Egyptian IP address?

17 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Have you ever heard of the HTML <video> tag? The times where you had to embed players (back in the days, via Adobe Flash) are gone for 10 years now.

What exactly is the "video player issue and the standard on page display issue"?

I tell you what: they don't exist, and you're just making up nonsense, like you always do here, because you are a full of shit.

"I build and maintain a lot of wordpress sites" - yes, and you also hire and direct DPs from Disney and have internal connections to Canon, among many other things that you wrote here before.

Your postings are not only bullshit, they poison this forum (and people looking for advice) with wrong information.

Can somebody please check your Egyptian IP address?

You Tube and Vimeo have advantages over server self hosting options right now. The amount you'll pay for advanced hosting that covers space and enough bandwidth will exceed what you are paying for Vimeo Pro. 

Responsive website use HTML and CSS and are more advanced then HTML <video> tag embedding into the center of your website page.  Many resources have to merge and get behind self server video hosting before "It's as simple as posting a picture on your website".

I'm not sure what you're referencing with "you also hire and direct DPs from Disney and have internal connections to Canon" comments because you twisted what you think I said.  That says a lot more about you than it does about me.

21 hours ago, User said:

Please just make your comments in ONE post.
You are lighting up the notification every two minutes with every post...

Nothing intentional on my part.  I'll try to do better next time.

It depends. The Vimeo network is really good. I’ve connected with a lot of really interesting and talented people through Vimeo. I’m sure people could say the same about YouTube.

The player / embed also looks way more professional on a website. 

I’ve always had really nice luck with the quality of their player. ProRes LT uploaded to their site handles film grain wonderfully. I never see macro blocking like I do on YouTube.