Vimeo Subscription Up For Renewal - Ditch?

User

I remember that Andrew had a thread going quite some time ago on just how fucked Vimeo's business model had become, never mind their player.

I'm a 'Plus' member and I absolutely can no longer stand their super fucked up 'ANALYTICS'. They should just go with the first 4 letters in naming this asinine feature implementation.

Is there anyone else here who is thinking of ditching them for something else? If so, what? Is Youtube the only other real answer?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

Most of it will be blocked/be no longer visible and only be unlocked when you renew the paid subscription.

Heartwarming ;)

On a side note, and as I understand it, Youtube uses ads for revenue. But I use Adblocker Plus (yes I'm a bastard), so I've never ever seen an ad on Youtube. So I'm left wondering why should I stick with clunky Vimeo. I guess it's like FranciscoB said, Vimeo is about some kind of community feeling.

Vimeo viewing experience = Full screen mode, hit space bar to play film, full screen window then minimizes. Day after day, year after year. Half the time the player just hangs. 2020 folks.

If you were to dine on the slow roasted bodies you Vimeo or Youtube execs... which would taste better?

I see videos on vimeo that i enjoy more because I follow those directors/dps/producers etc. there than I see on youtube. On Vimeo you follow those people and

on Youtube you have commercial accounts and youtubers. Vimeo is for people who do videos I look up to and youtube is for everyday videos, gear reviews, tutorials and "general culture". But I no longer consider vimeo as a viable payment plan. Their user experience is too bad to recommend.

Vimeo's real business are film production companies who upload their screeners for clients and festivals as password-protected videos. That's why in the current times, so many films festival and arthouse theaters have been able to switch to streaming overnight: all they needed was to unlock their Vimeo screeners for larger publics.

My own plan is to wait till support for the open AV1 codec will be mature on both on the client/browser side and the encoder side. I've already run a few encoding tests, and the quality is absolutely stunning at much lower bitrates than both h264 and h265.  Once AV1 will be ready for the masses, hosting your own videos will just be a matter of uploading them to your web site/blog and hosting them the same way you host & serve still images.

3 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

My own plan is to wait till support for the open AV1 codec will be mature on both on the client/browser side and the encoder side. I've already run a few encoding tests, and the quality is absolutely stunning at much lower bitrates than both h264 and h265.  Once support will be there, hosting your own videos will just be matter of uploading to your web site/blog and serving them the same way you serve still images.

Very cool Rawshooter, good to know. Thanks! :)

17 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Not true, at least in my case. Unless it changed it the last year.

I definitely had half of my videos blocked two years ago after having forgot to renew my subscription. This will happen when the combined file size of your videos exceeds the 5GB storage quota of the free Vimeo account.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Youtube compression doesnt like grain(facebook compression is the worst though), so I cant skip vimeo. Too bad the alternatives are so limited.

Have you compared the grain retention when uploading to YT in 4K?  

I did some tests between 4K and 1080 on YT and the difference was huge, but I didn't focus on grain, so not sure how that shakes out.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, rawshooter said:

My own plan is to wait till support for the open AV1 codec will be mature on both on the client/browser

AV1 has a long, uphill battle before it has a chance to be a dominate codec in the webspace. It has the support of very rich and powerful tech companies, including Apple and Google but it’s hard to win over the companies that make the hardware acceleration hardware seen in set-top-boxes, streaming devices and on the backend streaming service providers.

AV1 is extremely computational intensive (and superior than H.265) and had a better chance of pushing HEVC aside (and it’s patents and royalties) than any other open source codec.

It would be smart for camera companies to embrace it as it might release them from licensing and royalty agreements for using HEVC.

26 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

AV1 has a long, uphill battle before it has a chance to be a dominate codec in the webspace. It has the support of very rich and powerful tech companies, including Apple and Google but it’s hard to win over the companies that make the hardware acceleration hardware seen in set-top-boxes, streaming devices and on the backend streaming service providers.

Yes, and just to be clear, services like Vimeo and YouTube do adaptive streaming (i.e. they host each video in a variety of resolutions and bit rates and switch between them during playback depending on network bandwidth), which you will lose when you self-host your videos. But I don't really care, because I prefer my work to be seen at the intended 1080p resolution anyway.

This website has an online demo of AV1, which works with Chrome and Firefox (since they already have AV1 support built-in): https://bitmovin.com/demos/av1

I personally find the quality at 1080p and 1 Mbit/s good enough, even when viewing the video full screen on a 27" computer monitor in short viewing distance. With audio included, such videos will only take about 8.5 MB per minute storage space and transmission bandwidth. Serving them from your personal webspace will then be a no-brainer IMHO. 

The original reason for Vimeo's existence, namely the absence of native video support in HTML, has been resolved since 2010....

4 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Yes, and just to be clear, services like Vimeo and YouTube do adaptive streaming (i.e. they host each video in a variety of resolutions and bit rates and switch between them during playback depending on network bandwidth), which you will lose when you self-host your videos. But I don't really care, because I prefer my work to be seen at the intended 1080p resolution anyway.

This website has an online demo of AV1, which works with Chrome and Firefox (since they already have AV1 support built-in): https://bitmovin.com/demos/av1

I personally find the quality at 1080p and 1 Mbit/s good enough, even when viewing the video full screen on a 27" computer monitor in short viewing distance. With audio included, such videos will only take about 8.5 MB per minute storage space and transmission bandwidth. Serving them from your personal webspace will then be a no-brainer IMHO. 

The original reason for Vimeo's existence, namely the absence of native video support in HTML, has been resolved since 2010....

Good points. AV1 is awesome at lower bitrates, so it’s well suited to web and streaming and live video.

I do wonder if there is much of a difference between it and HEVC at higher bitrates used in cameras? It would still carry the benefits of being open source...

Hopefully YouTube will adopt it at some point. Would probably save them a lot of money and improve the quality of our videos as seen by the audience.