EOSHD YouTube channel and Photokina/CineGear style shows online

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Just throwing this out there...

So the plan is - I will be putting some future blog posts out in Mattias Burling style, with the voice over, the artistic shots and camera gear reviews in video form. I really like this format and Mattias did it brilliantly.

The other thought is around some kind of live streaming and online camera 'festivals' with a good atmosphere and lots of guests. Like CineGear but online.

I'm open to advice and what you guys want from EOSHD on YouTube.

It is actually going ahead this time in a big way and won't be a one off podcast or interview.

Suggestions welcome and ideas even more so :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Please do a Sigma FP video review.

I would love to see 4-5 minutes shorts, each show different aspects of the camera. 5 min about DR in different bith depth modes, 5 min low light against A7 III / S1 / etc, 5 min about color comparison.

My favourite videos from you are the comparison shots between cameras.

Or one big 20min+ long review, but it's a really big project 

i'd like too see some footage from that dream lens you got, with a flare or two

Mattias Burling does do a pretty slick sort of presentation, i always enjoy his stuff.  Youtube seems abit slow at the moment, corona virus has pretty much put the kibosh on nearly everything. So new content would be welcome

12 hours ago, leslie said:

i'd like too see some footage from that dream lens you got, with a flare or two

I second that. Some of these gorgeeous landscape shots as moving images! The photographic attributes and qualities of the cinema(tic:) image.

Miss your shorts, Andrew, as they always gave an appetite for going out and filming stuff with direct and accessible approach. Your GH4 videos, BMCC, G6, GH1 wedding, GH2 in the temple and Tokyo, great stuff! Love your Berlin videos, which give us great memories, how this city has been until even only a few years ago, motivating to go out and explore the city.

I love these old timer videos, showing off what you and others were capable of creatively. Maybe these older cameras will become objects of desire and tools for the "Filmkunst" again, making a come back. Or maybe they won´t. Who knows. I think your videos show quiete a variety of subjects in an individual, non generic way. Cannot wait to see what you will be up to next. More Oly EM10III footage? Well, maybe it is to hard to go back to the oder tech, but would be sweet if these cams would keep the warm spot in your heart they have had over the years.

For a start, so of my thoughts. Now, you guys, keep on suggsting and contributing. Exited to read your posts in this thread!

• Administrators

Would be good to have another cheap camera challenge. Going back to an original Pocket cinema camera could be fun. The GH2 stills holds up today. Berlin, Japan and Taiwan were really special places to film in those days. A lot more gentrified looking now with a lot more shitty street furniture, e-scooters, adverts, etc. I find that a challenge which is hard to overcome. Filming round the countryside isn't great, because nothing moves. Better for photography. I'll find something to do eventually after the lockdown ends. Until then, all I have is the trees and blooming of spring, like Hockney sat in his French garden with his canvas, it's not all bad... But it ain't exactly Blade Runner :)

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Berlin, Japan and Taiwan were really special places to film in those days. A lot more gentrified looking now with a lot more shitty street furniture, e-scooters, adverts, etc. I find that a challenge which is hard to overcome. 

Found this guy's channel and its quite fascinating for a few reasons.

The first is that the areas he is visiting are far more representative of the "foreignness" that I remember of Tokyo when I first starting working there a couple of years after this was shot rather than it is now.

Secondly, is that if you plough through his videos you'll notice that there is pretty much no one in the background taking any pictures which shows the relative lack of popularity of photography and videography had fell to at that time and I've always felt it is quite possible it could return to that "man in a shed" type of hobby for enthusiasts.

In point of fact, you can see a lot of people recoiling at seeing someone wielding a camera.

The most interesting thing though is that this guy was doing the YouTube travel selfie style 30 years ago !

Its littered though his stuff but is illustrated in this one from 4:10 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQS_j-UrTY

(Embedding isn't allowed for the video so you'll have to click the link)

I don't know what handicam he's shot these on but obviously it will have been CCD which you can definitely see the advantage of on some of the whip pans and especially on his other stuff featuring rides on the metro !

I suppose one "upside" to the current situation is that it will put the brakes on tourism for a pretty long time and perhaps that pause might allow some of these places to regain some of their own original identity, particularly when combined with a retraction of the globalisation march that has homogenised so many of them.

Then we can go and visit them and moan that no one speaks English we can't find a Starbucks ;)

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

But it ain't exactly Blade Runner :)

Your Tokyo-Blade Runner short is still one of my favorite videos from the older times of large sensor camera craze. It is still making me wonder, if I should get a GH2. Your Digital Bolex video you filmed in Schoeneweide, supberb... Hard to believe how Berlin has changed even in last five years. Always gives me chokes when I talk to about it. My buddy and i did a minidoc about a our friend who was selling poems in Mauerpark, a short piece with a twist. I was gonna send it to you, when the heat was on in the corona thread. Anyway, I would be very happy if you would allow your compositions to shine with more than just one frame and if you would film your beautiful compositions with the FP and the Dream Lens.

Not to act all millennial but Tokyo still felt plenty foreign enough for me in 2019 and looks a lot more exciting today than it was in 1991.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing but not everything was better before. We just hit the reset button anyways.

+1 on Sigma FP video review

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, Django said:

Not to act all millennial but Tokyo still felt plenty foreign enough for me in 2019 and looks a lot more exciting today than it was in 1991.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing but not everything was better before. We just hit the reset button anyways.

I didn't actually say it was better or worse, just that it was different.

Virtually all of the signage being in kanji being just one difference that made it more foreign to me then than it does now.

Funnily enough, despite having the same love of the place, it feels a lot less exciting to me now than it did then because they had stuff so far ahead of when we got it in the UK that you'd go in a shop and see something genuinely new but with global launches and the internet everything is much more aligned and known now.

But yeah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I didn't actually say it was better or worse, just that it was different.

Virtually all of the signage being in kanji being just one difference that made it more foreign to me then than it does now.

Funnily enough, despite having the same love of the place, it feels a lot less exciting to me now than it did then because they had stuff so far ahead of when we got it in the UK that you'd go in a shop and see something genuinely new but with global launches and the internet everything is much more aligned and known now.

But yeah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)

Yeah I can imagine it being a tad harder to circulate/communicate pre-google map, auto-translate app era. Almost too easy now!

Shopping wise it remains the Mecca for me but not so much in a tech sense as I can imagine it once was (Akihabara was pretty underwhelming tbh).

Speaking of nostalgia, the fact they still have things like Tower Records totally blew my mind. I felt like Marty McFly in Back to the Future!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Django said:

Yeah I can imagine it being a tad harder to circulate/communicate pre-google map, auto-translate app era. Almost too easy now!

Shopping wise it remains the Mecca for me but not so much in a tech sense as I can imagine it once was (Akihabara was pretty underwhelming tbh).

Yeah, its a lot easier to get around now but I embrace that because it means the fear factor of getting hopelessly lost has gone so it encourages exploring a lot more !

I'm still capable of spending hours on end in Akihabara but its now based purely on prices for certain things being better or rummaging in 2nd hand or component stores rather than the "wow what the fuck is this?" wonder products that there used to be there.

Yeah I'm into certain niche items myself and I've brought back some gems, just never had the time to go on deep dive search missions. Promising myself to go there solo next in order to really nerd out. Maybe find me some of those Canon FD dream lenses & other esoteric gear!

On 5/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Would be good to have another cheap camera challenge. Going back to an original Pocket cinema camera could be fun. The GH2 stills holds up today.

Andrew, it would be amazing to have a GH2 vs GH3 vs GH4 vs GH5 Challenge, to see how much Panasonic had changed over the last few years. Plus maybe cover how Panasonic didn't do enough to advertise the GH2 as an Indie Film Marvel (Panasonic's advertising team is still pretty garbage, IMO), at a fraction of the cost of the 5Dii and many other mor expensive options. 

Even Panasonic's G7, GX85, G85 are so underrated too. Why they couldn't grab a larger film students and low budget indie filmmakers market share, is a testament to probably poor advertising.

20 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Your Tokyo-Blade Runner short is still one of my favorite videos from the older times of large sensor camera craze. It is still making me wonder, if I should get a GH2.

I agree. Even the Darkness Seeker ISO12800 GH2 video. The grain in that video was just insane. 

On 5/3/2020 at 5:29 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Would be good to have another cheap camera challenge.

I'm down with that as I recently bought an em10iii for $299.

2 hours ago, Django said:

find me some of those Canon FD dream lenses & other esoteric gear!

I used a FD 55mm f1.2 on m43 for a few years, liked it alot.  Paired it with a speed booster most of the time and was able to shoot some cool low light stuff.  Fun.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, PannySVHS said:

Your Tokyo-Blade Runner short is still one of my favorite videos from the older times of large sensor camera craze. It is still making me wonder, if I should get a GH2.

Second that. The Blade Runner video made me crazy about the GH2, got one barely used at a good price...and with it started my love of photography and video.
Still have the GH2 here, failed to sell it when it was still valuable...now bought a cheap Viltrox 5 inch monitor to use as focus peaking viewer. :)

Most of the videos made it it are garbage, because I did not have good lenses at the time, heheheh. Interesting, some of the concerts stills that I've got with the GH2 now I think that are some of the best that I've taken - and GH2 arguably was not a good low light camera. The pictures from a Bruce Springsteen concert taken with a Can on FD 135mm f/2.5 are the most organic still that I've taken (and remember, no IBIS...).

Miss you covering cheap gear and extracting the best of it, Andrew. :)

Ah, now, thats the kinda talk. Much better than home or any other office.:)

12 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Some of the best footage I've ever captured was on a 1" CCD sensor @1080i.  Just depends, y'know?

Which one? I am still thinking about a Panny HPX250, no ccd, but like a DVX100 Andromeda with its 10bit 200mbit codec, if around 500 EUR. Love the stuff people did and do with these older cameras. Too bad I never got to see what Kendy Ty did with a lumix GF1 back then. The creative exitement was much larger than owners pride.

13 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Second that. The Blade Runner video made me crazy about the GH2, got one barely used at a good price...and with it started my love of photography and video.

Absolutely right. That was inspiring and still is. Funny, I put my S1 aside, my FS700 with Shogun catches dust and my GX85 gets lotta use, enjoying right exporsure, tweaking WB in BW mode and timing and tuning framing and movement, sometimes feeling like Bela Tarr.:) I think these cameras back then inspired our own Chris Doyles and others within ourselves. Some of Andrews videos show a formal brilliance of these guys. The video craze as Márcio described it put the best out of the dreamers, nerds and image seekers back then. Here is an awesome example of "being nerveous about the camera":

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Cheap gear, not much of it around now! Anything vaguely interesting is at least $1000

Gone are the GH2 days. Fuji X-T4 is closest we get today.

E-M10 III is the best ultra cheap. Although I do think the X-H1 makes a superb used bargain for $750

And diving back into old used cameras like the GH1 today makes for a fun challenge.

• Administrators

Yeah I liked the X-H1 when I took it to iceland, the IBIS was pretty extreme, really locked-down. Not elegant at pans like the Sony, but much better at reducing shake from car window, got some beautiful landscape videos with it. Couldn't be bothered to edit it all together for the internet though 😆