Atomos Ninja V Firmware Update - SSD Issue

mr_eight

Hi there,

I picked up my Atomos Ninja V yesterday and have been playing around with it a bit as I have never used a recorder before.  I had an old SSD lying around which is a Samsung 84O and formatted it using the Ninja V. I recorded a few videos from the Nikon's Z7 without issues.

However, when it comes to connecting it to my laptop (Macbook Pro with Mojave) it displays a warning message first, "macOS can't repair the disk "AtomosV".  I have ignored the message and can copy the files off the SSD with no problem.

Additionally, I can't seem to be able to copy files onto the SSD as it is  in Read Only mode.  I am surprised as to why the Ninja V would format the drive in such a way that the permissions becomes read only. Therefore I can't copy the firmware on to the SSD in order to update the Ninja V.

I have tried to format the SSD via MacOS but it doesnt get recognised by the Ninja V.

The SSD is not on Atomos' compatible devices page for the Ninja V. Do I just buy a new SSD and the problem will go away? Or is there any underlying issue?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mokara said:

I would guess the problem is with MacOS rather than the ninja.

The other possibility is that the SSD is in the process of dying. SSDs are pretty cheap these days anyway.

Hey @Mokara thanks for the reply. I am going to buy a new SSD and saw your reply on this thread.

Do you still think Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb is the way to go especially when the Ninja V is paired with the Nikon Z7? Additionally, is the SSD all good for raw capture as well?

On 5/2/2020 at 3:12 AM, mr_eight said:

Hi there,

I picked up my Atomos Ninja V yesterday and have been playing around with it a bit as I have never used a recorder before.  I had an old SSD lying around which is a Samsung 84O and formatted it using the Ninja V. I recorded a few videos from the Nikon's Z7 without issues.

However, when it comes to connecting it to my laptop (Macbook Pro with Mojave) it displays a warning message first, "macOS can't repair the disk "AtomosV".  I have ignored the message and can copy the files off the SSD with no problem.

Additionally, I can't seem to be able to copy files onto the SSD as it is  in Read Only mode.  I am surprised as to why the Ninja V would format the drive in such a way that the permissions becomes read only. Therefore I can't copy the firmware on to the SSD in order to update the Ninja V.

I have tried to format the SSD via MacOS but it doesnt get recognised by the Ninja V.

The SSD is not on Atomos' compatible devices page for the Ninja V. Do I just buy a new SSD and the problem will go away? Or is there any underlying issue?

Make sure to format it in exfat, not NTFS on the Recorder, or HFS+ on the Mac. 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Make sure to format it in exfat, not NTFS on the Recorder, or HFS+ on the Mac. 

Due to the weird state the SSD gets into when being read on the MacOS which causes DiskUtil to fail upon erasing the SSD. I dont know what I did but I managed to reformat the SSD to exfat. Plugged it into the Ninja V and viola it works!!! 

Even got the firmware updated but I noticed skippy the kangaroo appearing on the recorder on a few occasions. Just  maybe I need a new SSD. For now it will suffice since I am just shooting random things at home and trying to get familiar with the whole new set up.

Now to decide on what SSD to get next!

18 hours ago, mr_eight said:

Due to the weird state the SSD gets into when being read on the MacOS which causes DiskUtil to fail upon erasing the SSD. I dont know what I did but I managed to reformat the SSD to exfat. Plugged it into the Ninja V and viola it works!!! 

Even got the firmware updated but I noticed skippy the kangaroo appearing on the recorder on a few occasions. Just  maybe I need a new SSD. For now it will suffice since I am just shooting random things at home and trying to get familiar with the whole new set up.

Now to decide on what SSD to get next!

Were you shooting in ProRes or ProRes RAW? ProRes RAW is needs a faster hard drive than ProRes, so make sure to check out Atomos website. 

I have a Ninja V too, and Atomos doesn't have anything listed at all for the Panasonic S1H 5.9K ProRes RAW drive requirements. I guess I have to wait and see...

45 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

Were you shooting in ProRes or ProRes RAW? ProRes RAW is needs a faster hard drive than ProRes, so make sure to check out Atomos website. 

I have a Ninja V too, and Atomos doesn't have anything listed at all for the Panasonic S1H 5.9K ProRes RAW drive requirements. I guess I have to wait and see...

I'm shooting in ProRes HQ only as I havent sent my Nikon Z7 for an upgrade to allow ProRes Raw capture. That is the one thing Panasonic got right.

Atomos website is a bit disappointing for such a narrow coverage of SSD.