Sigma Fp x Canon Dream Lens 50mm F0.95

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cool, I've only used mine in stills.   Mine is converted to LM mount.

I don't have any FF movie body options that would take this mount, as I don't count my GFX 50R movie capable, never tried it...

Though, I STILL love my GH5 for the opengate anamorphic mode!

Andrew, I was just reading another review of it (I had not seen this camera much before) and it seems there IS a EVF that can be added.

Those look beautiful to me.

EDIT I would love to see how that camera would go with your FD 85 1.2 L

They are going up in value because of their status and it is difficult to find one with minty glass.
The 50/1.2 LTM is also great and much smaller, but the 50/1.4 LTM (v2) that performs the best, it seems underrated in comparison, easier to find, I use it on the EOS R and it makes great video.

Ha, only yesterday morning out of lockdown boredom, I started to develop the germ of an idea to look at adapting old glass to a modern XT3.

I know it’s not a new concept, other than to me personally.

I have taken a good look at various modern manual focus adapted lenses, but they lack something for me.

But by the close of play yesterday, I’d ordered a Fotodiox adapter and discovered a Pentacon 50mm f1.8 which will be my starting point.

Point? Get back some of that less digital feel in camera without having to resort to LUTS and all that tweakery.

XT3 apsc crop losing some of that corner rubbish + Eterna profile. I’m hoping for some good things to at least keep me amused whilst we are where we are.

Intrigued by the FP though and would love to have a play, but no chance right now.

@Andrew Reid I know it’s a ´big question’ but how does the FP compare with the XT3?

Obviously one is ff and the other apsc and one does not have mechanical shutter, but would be interested (as I am sure many others would be) how these 2 stack up.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, noone said:

Andrew, I was just reading another review of it (I had not seen this camera much before) and it seems there IS a EVF that can be added.

Those look beautiful to me.

EDIT I would love to see how that camera would go with your FD 85 1.2 L

Got a link? Do you mean an actual EVF or a loupe over the back screen?

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Stunning images Andrew. Do you know how this lens performs compared to the Zhongy Mitakon 50mm f0.95?

The Canon is more painterly and unique to everything else, there is no comparison with anything contemporary. It's even dramatically different to the Leica Noctilux 50mm F1. The Mitakon I have seen a review of and it looks nice, but looks more like the modern Leica Noct F0.95 than the Dream Lens in terms of the rendering. The Canon also has a glow and diffusion of light around specular highlights, which is very rare to see.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PaulUsher said:

Absolutely stunning to my eye. When all is said and done, this is what it’s all about: the image. I cannot wait to see some video from this combo.

Thanks Paul

I would like to try the Mitakon 65mm F1.4 on medium format, probably has unique look as well. That lens is £600 and probably worth a look for GFX owners.

wow dream lens in every sense! I need to up my vintage glass hunting game, I never seem to come past these esoteric FD lenses.

Sigma FP is also a fascinating camera. I wanna hear more about it. I tried it briefly at the store and was super impressed with build-quality, compactness and overall concept. That said it does have some major flaws: fixed screen, no EVF, no mechanical shutter, no IBIS, poor AF, poor battery life. pretty much a sensor in a box and then for video: 8-bit RAW internal, no Log.. and pixel-binning? Pretty niche camera at $2000. Hopefully some firmware adresses some of this, but I have to ask who is this camera for? Stealthy 007 agents? Action cam? DOP Scouts (Director's Eyeview certainly one of the most surprising features)? Seriously I can't quite figure it out. Yet oddly I do want one, just cuz it's so cute/unique (that's the gear slut in me speaking tho).

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Rad lens. Its earned the Dream Lens nickname. Been eyeing a bargain knockoff - the Mitakon Speedmaster 50mm 0.95 mkIII - for the last couple days, super specialty lens, but the look they create is unique.

Chris

I have the 35mm F0.95 from them on my X-T3. Lovely lens.

Would like to try the full frame version for sure. It's between that and the 65mm F1.4 for the GFX at the moment. Weighing up which one. Maybe they can send me both for a review if I ask nicely enough :)

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Django said:

wow dream lens in every sense! I need to up my vintage glass hunting game, I never seem to come past these esoteric FD lenses.

Sigma FP is also a fascinating camera. I wanna hear more about it. I tried it briefly at the store and was super impressed with build-quality, compactness and overall concept. That said it does have some major flaws: fixed screen, no EVF, no mechanical shutter, no IBIS, poor AF, poor battery life. pretty much a sensor in a box and then for video: 8-bit RAW internal, no Log.. and pixel-binning? Pretty niche camera at $2000. Hopefully some firmware adresses some of this, but I have to ask who is this camera for? Stealthy 007 agents? Action cam? DOP Scouts (Director's Eyeview certainly one of the most surprising features)? Seriously I can't quite figure it out. Yet oddly I do want one, just cuz it's so cute/unique (that's the gear slut in me speaking tho).

There is no pixel binning, not sure where you got that from - the 4K is a full pixel readout from 6K sensor.

The 8bit RAW is not a major flaw, it's a major bonus. Try getting that out of an A7 III type for same price. No doesn't exist. The results are incredible. You just need to look beyond the bit-depth and trying to break the image.

The fixed screen, lack of EVF and no mechanical shutter make the Fp the size it is. If these features are important to you, then you may be better off with a larger camera. You can add the loupe to the Fp LCD to make it into an EVF though.

Who is the camera for? Anybody who wants a small affordable full frame camera with superb video features and image quality.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Got a link? Do you mean an actual EVF or a loupe over the back screen?

My mistake, it seems that the camera can TAKE one which the review said  but Sigma did/does not make one (and I just saw the rear loupe shows as a viewfinder in some places so it might have just been that they referred to.      Your shots have really got me interested in this camera (though a bit beyond me for the next few months).

There MAY be some that will work with it but i have not yet found any direct evidence, just suggestions (like trying the one for Sigmas DP cameras...don't know if that would work...probably not or someone would have said)