Raspberry Pi Releases an Interchangeable-lens Camera Module

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 hours ago, habeel said:

I've only skimmed through it but the implication of it for the future is that boards with other (higher quality) sensors could be developed by 3rd parties and this API would provide a standardised way of accessing them.

So you would create one control app that would work with whatever sensor you had attached to the board, thereby establishing the PI as a generic starting point for independent camera development.

The reality here though is that the boards with the higher quality sensors have to exist so it will be a good while before this bears fruit and, even then, access to the sorts of sensors that people on here would be interested in aren't readily available so as always expectations have to be managed with what this really means in terms of viable alternatives to "real" cameras being available soon.

It looks like the new stack would solve some usability problems and hopefully allow full manual control of the camera.
Did not look too closely about Camera to HDMI path but that might be the only good option for uncompressed image out of it.
Recording to MicroSD probably not going to be good enough for RAW and h264 might be too bitrate heavy depending on how good the encoder is.
Although shoving 50Mbit to network storage might be possible.
Maybe pi4 can dump to SSD fast enough.

The main benefit of the stack in the future, will be once the next generation sensor is released in say another couple of years, then if it is compatible with this stack then all the years of software development and improvements for this camera system can be immediately ported over to the new camera with almost no trouble whatsoever. 

My camera and Pi has arrived and I'm happy to say it's going to fit very nicely in a (broken and unusable) Bolex B8 - by my calculations, the sensor size is similar to that of 8mm film, so I'm planning on taking off the C-mount from the sensor and placing to look through the D-mount lenses on the camera. Which will also let me hang onto the turret system.

As my camera is already broken, I'm going to have to gut it, so it's essentially the most hipster RPi case around, but I'm fine with that. There's tonnes of room for a power bank etc. to keep everything nicely held inside. Can possibly keep the mechanism too so I can make cool noises while filming.

I just need to wrap my head around some buttons and switches. I'm quite digging the idea of opening the side of the camera to turn the system on and off every time, but definitely need a trigger on the outside of the casing. I'm also toying with the idea of setting 15 second record limits to really embrace the annoyance of a wind-up system.

When all is said and done, it's going to look something like this:

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I just need to wrap my head around some buttons and switches. I'm quite digging the idea of opening the side of the camera to turn the system on and off every time, but definitely need a trigger on the outside of the casing.

These micro toggle switches might the way to go in terms of getting switches outside of the case and aesthetically they won't look too far out of whack with the Bolex.

71UAzAqB7zL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4d4ba26a0253af32ebedad790e54f69b.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Positions-Miniature-Connection-Arduino-Switches/dp/B07ZYKQ4F5

You have to buy them in a pack of 10 but thats no bad thing as you could use a few of them to toggle between different preset functions etc.

This link will give you some example code based around Picamera to be able to start and stop the recording from an external switch.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=195019&hilit=Camera#p1221076

20 minutes ago, no_connection said:

Depending on the readout speed and option to trigger readout you could maybe keep the shutter system, would be pretty cool.

The problem is, the sensor will need to be exactly where the film is, but it’s obviously thicker than film, so some things for sure need to be taken out. 

Im bracing myself for total disassembly and partial reassembly after testing. 

like I say though, got to get a trigger working before any of that. 

1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Looks like Canon sold its cripple hammer in eBay.

more like licensed, perhaps 😉

I do like the raspberry pi and a higher quality camera idea. I have an arduino board lying around here some where. So i'm not adverse to the idea of grabbing one. I'm unsure of its image formats, for my purposes i'd like if it saves stills as some kind of tiff, dng, raw something other than jpg. Guess i'll do some more research later on

11 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

My camera and Pi has arrived and I'm happy to say it's going to fit very nicely in a (broken and unusable) Bolex B8 - by my calculations, the sensor size is similar to that of 8mm film, so I'm planning on taking off the C-mount from the sensor and placing to look through the D-mount lenses on the camera. Which will also let me hang onto the turret system.

As my camera is already broken, I'm going to have to gut it, so it's essentially the most hipster RPi case around, but I'm fine with that. There's tonnes of room for a power bank etc. to keep everything nicely held inside. Can possibly keep the mechanism too so I can make cool noises while filming.

This Cinetinker blog shows how to open your Bolex and take out the insides for service, lots of cool photos of intricate parts & gears. (maybe you'll see what is broken and will fix it instead!)

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com/2013/01/

"Although the following service procedure is done on a D8L (more or less a D8LA without the rewind facility), all of the pocket cameras used basically the same internal mechanisms, so portions of this procedure can also be used on them. This includes the B8, C8 and D8 variants and the zoom reflex models P1, P2 and P3."

(also see http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/b8.html )

I saw some HDMI extenders for the ribbon cable if you need to put the pi outside of it. It's just a passive pcb that uses the shielded HDMI cable to extend the length the camera can be away from the pi.

raspistill does .png at least but I would assume the new framework would get something better.