Raspberry Pi Releases an Interchangeable-lens Camera Module

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really exciting, but it only outputs up to 30fps 1080p (non raw) video. The API seems quite clunky, the way of getting raw data is by appending it to a JPEG file, so who knows if a raw video steam is possible.

Hopefully the camera's firmware is open source...

If this can output a RAW video stream, then camera hackers everywhere will begin churning out truly interesting products...  digital bolex, remotely cinematic action cameras, etc etc...  

the price of C-mount lenses will also rise!

1 hour ago, kye said:

If this can output a RAW video stream, then camera hackers everywhere will begin churning out truly interesting products...  digital bolex

This won't come even close to being a successor to the Digital Bolex D16, as its sensor is too teeny tiny, perhaps though a "Digital Bolex D8"??? 

This has a "crop factor" of around 5.6x

S16 has a crop factor of nearly 3x, thus S8 is I guess around ish nearly 6x?? Similar to the 1/2.3" crop factor of 5.6x that this Raspberry Pi camera has. 

Hopefully generation v2.0 of this has a 2/3" or 1" sensor? At least then you've got a good chance at pulling off shallow DoF shots when you want to. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This won't come even close to being a successor to the Digital Bolex D16, as its sensor is too teeny tiny, perhaps though a "Digital Bolex D8"??? 

This has a "crop factor" of around 5.6x

S16 has a crop factor of nearly 3x, thus S8 is I guess around ish nearly 6x?? Similar to the 1/2.3" crop factor of 5.6x that this Raspberry Pi camera has. 

Hopefully generation v2.0 of this has a 2/3" or 1" sensor? At least then you've got a good chance at pulling off shallow DoF shots when you want to. 

Maybe a Digital Bolex D8, but maybe not.  The list of redeeming features of the digital bolex wasn't just a single item about being able to get shallow DoF.   Imagine if the ML guys decided to make an open-source camera on this platform, where anyone could develop the algorithms to process the RAW image data coming off the sensor..  @Sage or @Juan Melara having full control of the colour science, debayer algorithms, etc.  Dual exposures for high DR, and all manner of computational photography options.  Think of all the cool things that smartphone apps can do that your video camera can't do.  This could enable all that stuff and more.

It would make a pretty good form-factor too, especially for places where it's difficult to mount anything, etc.  

3 minutes ago, kye said:

Maybe a Digital Bolex D8, but maybe not.  The list of redeeming features of the digital bolex wasn't just a single item about being able to get shallow DoF.   Imagine if the ML guys decided to make an open-source camera on this platform, where anyone could develop the algorithms to process the RAW image data coming off the sensor..  @Sage or @Juan Melara having full control of the colour science, debayer algorithms, etc.  Dual exposures for high DR, and all manner of computational photography options.  Think of all the cool things that smartphone apps can do that your video camera can't do.  This could enable all that stuff and more.

It would make a pretty good form-factor too, especially for places where it's difficult to mount anything, etc.  

Exactly. I'm think ML style digital 8 action camera. I'd make a little waterhousing for it, it would be amazing.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Maybe a Digital Bolex D8, but maybe not.  The list of redeeming features of the digital bolex wasn't just a single item about being able to get shallow DoF.  

My point was that I doubt the Digital Bolex D16 would have seen even half of its (limited) success if it had been a 1/2.3" sensor instead of a Super 16mm sized sensor. 

• Administrators

1/2.3" is like a Pentax Q, and some people like @Mattias Burling can show off what that sensor can do pretty well. A small sensor doesn't mean a bad image. D-mount lenses have a character all of their own.

I think we'll be seeing more sensor sizes, more modules, more mounts in future... And an exciting explosion in at-home camera building and image processing.

If you combine something like Magic Lantern and Digital Bolex, with rapid prototyping for body designs and nice ergonomics - wooden grips, and so on, you have the recipe for a very usable DIY cine camera indeed!

• Administrators

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera/

Specs here imply it does output RAW?

• Sony IMX477R stacked, back-illuminated sensor, 12.3 megapixels, 7.9 mm sensor diagonal, 1.55 μm × 1.55 μm pixel size
  • Ouput: RAW12/10/8, COMP8 
  • Back focus: Adjustable (12.5 mm–22.4 mm)
  • Lens standards: C-mount, CS-mount (C-CS adapter included)
  • IR cut filter: Integrated
  • Ribbon cable length: 200 mm
  • Tripod mount: 1/4”-20

35 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera/

Specs here imply it does output RAW?

• Sony IMX477R stacked, back-illuminated sensor, 12.3 megapixels, 7.9 mm sensor diagonal, 1.55 μm × 1.55 μm pixel size
  • Ouput: RAW12/10/8, COMP8 
  • Back focus: Adjustable (12.5 mm–22.4 mm)
  • Lens standards: C-mount, CS-mount (C-CS adapter included)
  • IR cut filter: Integrated
  • Ribbon cable length: 200 mm
  • Tripod mount: 1/4”-20

Yes obviously, those RAW formats are standard in MIPI CSI-2 interface protocol.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I see. But is it bayer RAW, can it be recorded to a card, or doesn't the SDK / LSI handle it?

On the Pi the max video recoding seems 1080p.

On Pi 4 via usb 3 you could connect a ssd so saving on storage would be possible.

I believe the CSI is 4 Gbits/s so if I did the math right it should fit 12bit x 12mpix x 24fps not sure if the CSI is the bottle neck.

D1E6340B-BF48-4977-9B69-AEDA1DFF222B.png

Someone smart shuold just make the HDMI port able to handle RAW to a Ninja or something.

But if this can do 720p50 out with HDMI it would be a great fill camera for studio. Or 1080 if you are into that.

*edit*

On a related note, do anyone have a good way of output camera to HDMI? Preferably with some way to change settings remotely.

7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

On the Pi the max video recoding seems 1080p.

On Pi 4 via usb 3 you could connect a ssd so saving on storage would be possible.

I believe the CSI is 4 Gbits/s so if I did the math right it should fit 12bit x 12mpix x 24fps not sure if the CSI is the bottle neck.

D1E6340B-BF48-4977-9B69-AEDA1DFF222B.png

That looks interesting. 2028x 1520 4:3 in 48fps Raw would suit my needs well. I don't even need a screen, just ability to record to SD. That could be a pretty small package.