Sony A7S III wish list and the not-NAB 2020 no-show today

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

YES !! Except for the 8K sensor. Well i mean, except for the capability to shoot 8K videos. Who needs that...?

eND especially is a feature i really want. I have a7SII and FS5raw+atomos, and really love the eND from the fs5.

4K 120fps 10bit 422 is an obligation, especially regarding the new R5.

Better sound amps would be needed also, and maybe with XLR, or some xlr converters.

Only time will tell !

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, guillaume juin said:

YES !! Except for the 8K sensor. Well i mean, except for the capability to shoot 8K videos. Who needs that...?

Indeed, the feature that nobody needs but everyone seems to go ape-shit over!

Have you seen the fuss over the EOS R5?

8K is to be seen to be leading the technology race.

I bet half the YouTubers with their mouths wide open in amazement will never use it, but for marketing purposes the higher numbers just have to keep on rolling in.

I am just tired of waiting for sony to relese just a glimpse of hope regarding A7s3. i just regret i invested in Sony lenses as a prove of my long term trust investment in this brand.

My agony goes long distance and I am now regret selling my NX1 which i truly loved and never let me down. I am looking to Canon R5 with a bit of craving.

I am starting to think that marketing team behind Sony cine line is just dumb. HOW? I mean, HOW would you release such an ugly PPT after you even postponed the event in the first place.

They just took more time to make sure they'll fuck it up.

Si pissed of right now. Sorry for getting it out here. Just don't mind me :)

8K is genius marketing sense by Canon. If they deliver usable 8K it will be a coup on the mirrorless industry.

Besides the potential for dreadful rolling shutter at 8K there is also the storage problem of saving that video. I wonder what the H.265 10-bit rate will be. If we go by the C300 Mark 3 which you can get 4K at 810Mbps, we can assume to double that for 8K, as canon likes headroom in their bitrate. So  around 1.7Gbps. The RAW is likely to be closer to or, more likely, exceed 2Gbps.

So you’ll be feeling the storage cost with that $600 512GB CFExpress card.

No way it will have eND or prores. That's a feature for the video cameras and Sony has its own codecs. 8k it's not needed, it will be compressed to much. 6k is a good middle grown. And the a7s is a low light model, so I don't know how many megapixels they can cram in there and still be a great low light camera. 4k 10 bit 422 is much more needed. 

Now we understand why they moved the date. It's such a non event that it would be missed on Canons event day. 

Sony is doomed. 
I think at best they can match R5 video specs (4K120 10 bits, 8K raw...) but that’s far from being enough for me to stay with Sony. Then they can match color science, still it’s again far from being enough. 

The EOS R5 looks super dialed as far as ergonomics and buttons, I know already it’s gonna be a joy to use. I am so excited for this. There is jut no way Sony will completely change its body shape, layout, menu, screen and so on at the same level as the very refined R5. 

I, and many other used Sony because we preferred making a compromise on ergonomics and other minor stuff to get the best video specs available with IBIS And PDAF, and no crop in 4K.

If Sony can manage all of that though, and if the R5 has poor DR for stills and the Sony a 60mpx mode with insane DR, and 15mpx mode with insane low noise with the quad bayer, and other advantages then maybe we will talk. 
If they put that great quad bayer in an A7RIV body though, I won’t touch it, not even for 1000$ less than the R5. The R5 specs are more than satisfactory enough that they are not the main decision point anymore.

I knew Sony would flake on us... again. 
A7S3 is vapor ware.

XDCAM managers are too afraid to give Alpha line the kind of power it would need to compete.

They’re basically in limbo over that camera.

Meanwhile Canon leapfrogged the whole industry and are going for the kill.

Its funny listening to the R5 bashers, most of them shook fanboys.

When Canon falls behind, they get ridiculed. If R5 had normal specs, they would say they are late to the party. Now that they’ve exceeded everyone’s expectations, they claim it’s overkill.

In Japan 8K isn’t that far fetched, some channels are already broadcasting it.

Apple has had 5K iMac’s for years,  and I saw today on YT an 8K laptop review.

Speaking of YT they already stream 8K content and it already looks pretty crazy on my 5K iMAc Pro.

8K will allow you to crop & get even better 4K.

While nobody here really needs it, it’s still cool it’s there and trust me it will pave the way for other 8K cams, computers, monitors etc. And first and foremost content.

4K120 is also pretty damn sick considering 4K60 is still absent from most FF cams.

I won’t even talk about internal RAW, ergonomics or CS.. 

Anyways it’s funny seeing how the tables have turned in just a generation gap!

8K is a big jump from 4k but it seems like it's sensor specific.  As long as we get high quality 8k from camera makers then it's all good.  

At the end of the day we are paying the same $3-4,000 for an 8K  camera that we spent on the 1080p camera back in the day.   We will spend the same for glass and gear as we did 15 yeas ago.

One thing a Sony that bothers me is the delay in announcements and that we'll get the same Sony flavor in the A7SIII that we did with the previous lineups.  Sony has always been brilliant with marketing and I don't understand why they can't announce specs like Canon did.  Even Panasonic announced the S1H months ahead of it's release. 

If we give Sony some credit they might be moving towards that global sensor that would solve rolling shutter issue.  I don't think they have to match the R5 in specs because they could give a global shutter hybrid photo/cine camera that bridges the gap and makes Canon look outdated again.

I think all they need to sell is an A73 with 10 bit 4k 24p and 8 bit 4k 60p. 

If the a7s3 or whatever they call it is priced around $2500 and the R6 is around $4-5000 it will sell well due to the price alone. People will also buy it over the S1/S1H simply for the Auto focus. 

Now what I'd really like to see from Sony is something with the low light performance of the original A7S, combined with 10 bit and 4k 60p and internal NDs. 

8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think all they need to sell is an A73 with 10 bit 4k 24p and 8 bit 4k 60p. 

Agreed. 10-bit 4K 60p and a 8-bit 1080p with Sony’s latest and best AF and it will sell if it’s cheaper than the R5 for sure. The pixel binned A7RIV isn’t bad. People just want something 10-bit in a A7 body.

it's the same move as the transition from fhd to 4k. When we started to get good 1080p, brands started the push for shitty compressed 4k. 8k seems the same move, but now the problem is compression and file sizes. A good 4k with 10 bit 422 and a decent price will compete with the r5. half the price but great image quality.

Question, could it be the XAVC-s that is holding Sony back?      I thought i saw in one of Philip Bloom's reviews that it can not handle 4k 60p.      Makes some really nice 1080p and lower 4k rates but not higher?

2 hours ago, Django said:

I knew Sony would flake on us... again. 
A7S3 is vapor ware.

Its funny listening to the R5 bashers, most of them shook fanboys.

lol you are as much of a Canon fanboy than the Sony fanboy you mention. 
Even when Canon ridiculously failed deeply with the EOS R your were saying here on EOSHD how great it was. What a joke. 

Personally I don’t understand at all fanboyism for a camera brand. Who cares if it’s Sony Canon or Nikon, I couldn’t care less about the name. I am bashing what’s wrong, and praising good stuff.

When the 5D2 was out I was applauding. That’s why I bought it. When the EOS R was out I was laughing hard. Sony did an excellent job with the A7III when it was out. That’s why I bought it. 
The R5 looks absolutely fantastic and will most likely get it to replace my A7III.