Sigma Fp USB webcam function

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Great for news crews then, maybe finally they can stop shooting everything with their phones! 😁

I will have to try it out in more depth. So far, it's a new thing to me. A way to share some footage of me crashing at Monza with a couple of friends!

By the way those monitors need to be driven at 165fps (165hz) each by the graphics card. It cries for mercy during every race :)

• Administrators

The great thing about the Fp is that it is plug-and-play, and works with Macs, and even smartphones whereas the Canon DSLRs are Windows only and the software is beta.

Yes, it would be nice to have more support for USB video class connections on future cameras, as Sigma has pioneered.

Andrew, it may be a little off-topic...but if you have enough time on your hands during lockdown it might be worthwhile to create a Sigma FP guide like you did for the Panasonic cameras. I'm awaiting delivery of an FP, and I can  already tell the learning curve on this camera will likely exceed anything else I've ever used. So far I've found very little info on specifics of set up, basic workflow with the cinema DNG files and best practices for using the camera in the field. (Apart from the 30 or so pages in the EOSHD forum re: grading FP RAW files, comparisons to BM RAW etc. that seemed to hijack one of the main forum threads for the FP.)

Any other resources you might suggest for a Sigma FP newbie?

Actually I just discovered the 10/31/19 Sigma First shots post has some excellent info about the file sizes, using slim RAW etc. And the comments from that post are also helpful. But if you have even more suggestions...I'd like to learn more. I will try the 12 bit RAW, but frankly The 8 bit RAW might work just fine for the majority of what I'd shoot. I'm not sure I can manage the data, working with an ssd etc. We'll see. I do like cameras that are unique and aren't afraid to push boundaries. The Sigma FP is certainly all that and much more. I'm hopeful the summer firmware update makes it even more of a little power house than it already is.

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, yusufwing said:

Wonder if you can plug multiple FP cameras and switch via OB, or similar software.

This will eliminate the need of a switcher

Yusuf.T

It is a standard UVC compliant source like a webcam so as long as the application and your hardware supports it then it is no different.

There are caveats to using it that I have outlined in this post here regarding using it in this way with a phone as an external monitor and not being able to change settings and those apply too if you are using it as a source for OBS etc so its not particularly flexible

As a standalone way to get high quality easily in to the computer for streaming, as @Andrew Reid is using it for, it is ideal but for anything multi-camera, I'd look in a different direction.

I read your article right before a Zoom meeting so I gave it a go and it connected just fine, but there are some caveats which I imagine may apply to other clients like Twitch as well. First the autofocus is quite atrocious and that alone limits its use as a webcam, probably for most people. With the 45mm Art it really struggled to track my face and I can't always be close enough to adjust it manually. Also once connected all the camera settings are locked. You have to disconnect the USB to change anything. On the 45mm I could at least change the aperture and toggle AF/MF using the lens controls so hopefully the lock on the camera side can be removed in a firmware update. My take on it is it's great in terms of plug&play--if nothing else then as a proof of concept, but not quite there yet in overall user experience. 

• 4 weeks later...