Sony PMW-F3 with 2500 hours on it. Should I buy it?

basil_555

Awesome! The screenshots look astonishing. I would love to see the same grading in the video. I remember how DP posted awesome screenshots from a F3 shortfilm but then the director pushed for a different grade, which was fine but not as beautiful as the one coming from the DP. Really looking forward to your video and hopefully I will get into motion myself. I am still stingy on replacing my broke mini SDI cable. 😆

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually this film is not on the professional side. NO gaffer, NO sound guy, even NO AC😂

The full version is more like an interview and I managed to put those B roll together to make some kind of trailer. 

Since this is my first time playing with F3, I'm not familiar with it and did my best in post stablization, the outcome is a far behind perfect in my perspective. Next thing on my list is get a decent wireless follow focus and find a way to put F3 on a Ronin. The useless daddycam grip and that power zoom thingy is really annoying and getting in the way with my gimbal. 

Here is a little video I filmed during the pandemic lockdown. The password is 1234 

Why aren't F3 prices coming down 😞, There is literally a broken one on ebay from adorama for almost 600$. They are drunk with that price. I remember getting my first sony F3 for 400$ in 2018. I'm such a fool for selling it. Love the footage that comes out of my Fujifilm X-T3 now but the F3 has such a unique sauce, Gosh. 

On 7/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, Josue Nunez said:

Why aren't F3 prices coming down 😞, There is literally a broken one on ebay from adorama for almost 600$. They are drunk with that price. I remember getting my first sony F3 for 400$ in 2018. I'm such a fool for selling it.

It is because of YouTubers reviewing the F3 (and probably because of threads like this one as well....).

Ever since this video came out a couple of years ago then prices have never been the same for the F3 😕 

Difference is, that you cannot throw these light conditions at the GH1 as you can throw at the F3. You still would have to get pretty lucky and work extra hard to get an image out of the GH1 like the images in this video. Possible, if not pixel peeping, but not an efficient thing to do imho. Possible but not granted. @webrunner5

No, you can't get a super clean look out of a GH1 like you can with a Sony F3, but the video above was a lot grungier, film looking and I think you can get that look easier on the GH1 than the F3.

The F3 sort of competed against the Canon C100 output wise. 

Might be but Canon sold one hell of a lot more C100's than Sony Sold F3's. I think the look out of them is pretty equal especially if you don't have the Recorder that cost half as much as the camera to get it out of both SDI's. Plus, the C100 was portable the F3 really wasn't.

And who even had the computer horsepower or storage to grade 4.4.4.

Solid points. Except the 444 as it would be in Prores anyway and used by 444 lovin pros. 🙂 @webrunner5 But C100 is a spiffy image for what it is, like downscaled GX85 with much better low light and of course more dynamic range. Great colours too. Anyway, GH1, treated lovely, can be still very lovely and a joy for vintage and image lovers. I think I get your point, which is alway something I enjoy a great deal in an exchange of point of views.

I also think the internal SLOG image of the F3 is still more impressive than the internal image from the C100.:)

Yeah, but computers pretty much sucked back when the F3 came out. Even ProRes was pretty rough on them.  But yes I will agree the F3 probably had a better output, but it was more of a studio camera compared to a Doc camera for the C100. Plus the C100 was cheaper to boot. Both sucked ass for their viewfinders. The F3 viewfinder always seemed broken, a problem yet with the FS5 today.