DJI Mavic Air 2

androidlad

Sure, but the sensor thing doesn't explain why all those previous drones with sub-1 inch sensors did much better than the next ones in terms of noise.
The "old" Phantom 4 Pro also had a 20mpx 1" sensor and sub-sample 4k but the image quality was superb.

While I don't exclude the sensor source, based on this basic comparison, it seems that the sensor by itself can't explain everything. From my quick test on the Mavic Air 2, there is also less noise in the shadows (to be confirmed).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, OliKMIA said:

Sure, but the sensor thing doesn't explain why all those previous drones with sub-1 inch sensors did much better than the next ones in terms of noise.
The "old" Phantom 4 Pro also had a 20mpx 1" sensor and sub-sample 4k but the image quality was superb.

While I don't exclude the sensor source, based on this basic comparison, it seems that the sensor by itself can't explain everything. From my quick test on the Mavic Air 2, there is also less noise in the shadows (to be confirmed).

Maybe the corruption scandal at DJI back then have something to do with it.  

20 hours ago, androidlad said:

My god he's HOT 😍

Who is hot?! The new sensor?! 

Well, it did it for me, the new Air is impressive but there is noise even at 100ISO and digital sharpening/no profile choices. 10bit 1" is the minimum for me anyway. I would be happy to have the new thing, the price is very very right and the image holds amazingly well (is it the higher bitrate? Better/newer chip?).

But now I have the 2, I will stick to that for a little longer.

I am "scared" what the new Mavic 3 Pro will be, as there are certain things I am not happy with the 2 (that distortion is so annoying, and the bitrate a little to the weak side). Mine is barely used, certainly not a good investment, but I can stick to that 10bit image for a couple of years, while previous Mavic's image was unusable for me. If the 3 is the same price as the 2, then I won't even be able to sell it, and it is practically brand new, to sell it as used.

Not a real use for 60p for me.

I love the size and weight of 2, even less seems more "amateurish"(?)/less substantial for me. 

Hopefully, the new Mavic whatever will help lower the cost of a used Phantom 4 Pro (currently flying the P3A and liking it but I could definitely use the more megapixels in stills and a bit less noise in low light).

My real question is how are people supposed to be investing in new drones since we still don't have a good idea of what exactly the remote identification requirements will be (here in the US of A) and whether any of the current models will be able to be retrofitted to meet these requirements???

Looking at the images in the dpreview gallery the mavic air II is IMO worst than the mini for photo quality....  all the YouTube "looking only at the spec" reviewers they don't talk about this but it is disappointing. 

Air 2 sample gallery: https://***URL removed***/samples/8448062815/dji-mavic-air-2-sample-gallery

Mini sample gallery: https://***URL removed***/sample-galleries/3706845764/dji-mavic-mini-sample-gallery

On 5/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Hopefully, the new Mavic whatever will help lower the cost of a used Phantom 4 Pro (currently flying the P3A and liking it but I could definitely use the more megapixels in stills and a bit less noise in low light).

My real question is how are people supposed to be investing in new drones since we still don't have a good idea of what exactly the remote identification requirements will be (here in the US of A) and whether any of the current models will be able to be retrofitted to meet these requirements???

Phantom is huge, no way I was ever going that way since the 2 Pro image is so competitive. Mavic 2 for me has the best size, small enough to fit on my camera back pack, big enough to have eye contact at most times (I am not very adventurous!).

Image wise, I am quite happy with the 2 Pro, there are the usual well documented issues, but not huge deal breakers. Price was/is another issue though. After the Mini 2, you have to be really committed to invest on the Mavic 2 Pro.

Variable aperture, 10 bit log, 1" sensor (ISO) and the 2 fields of view (this hids a minus and a plus at the same time!), convinient physical dimensions and weight.

I am expecting the new Mavic 3 Pro to be a lot better than the 2, but I am not sure when, and for how much. It can be at the same 1.499$€ price, and the 2 Pro goes down to 1249, certainly the Mini 2 pricing is aggressive, and probably well withing "amateur" use limitations.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a mint Mavic Pro 2 fly more with a ton of extras including a polar pro filter set for $1200. Like any camera, some buy into the hype and wind up not using it LOL! Their loss is my gain. I still prefer the Phantom 4 pro v2 image, but the portability makes the Mavic a far better option for me. If I were forced to buy new  I’d still go with the bigger sensor of the Mavic over the air or smaller.

cheeers

chris

Yeah the downgrade in sensor size is a bummer though of course the smaller form factor is awesome. To be fair though the Mavic pro form factor is pretty damn small. 

Would be cool to see a M43 sensor in a smaller drone. I feel like it would be possible. Look at the size of the sigma FP and tell me you can't make something even smaller that would fit on a drone with M43. I don't really find slow motion very interesting for drone footage. 30p is all I'd really use. 

17 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah the downgrade in sensor size is a bummer though of course the smaller form factor is awesome. To be fair though the Mavic pro form factor is pretty damn small. 

Would be cool to see a M43 sensor in a smaller drone. I feel like it would be possible. Look at the size of the sigma FP and tell me you can't make something even smaller that would fit on a drone with M43. I don't really find slow motion very interesting for drone footage. 30p is all I'd really use. 

People are mounting GoPro fusion 360 cameras on Mavic Pro 2's and Phantom 4's, I'm willing to bet that would be similar weight wise to a compact fixed lens m43 setup - if not more because the Fusion is a chunky little bugger. DJI's larger sensor cameras are ILC's, make it a fixed 24 or 28mm equiv. Battery life would take a hit, but I'd be all over that instead of going with an Inspire. I'd even lug a Phantom around if I could get a m43 sensor. 

CHris

On 11/21/2020 at 11:13 PM, Trek of Joy said:

I bought a mint Mavic Pro 2 fly more with a ton of extras including a polar pro filter set for $1200. Like any camera, some buy into the hype and wind up not using it LOL! Their loss is my gain. I still prefer the Phantom 4 pro v2 image, but the portability makes the Mavic a far better option for me. If I were forced to buy new  I’d still go with the bigger sensor of the Mavic over the air or smaller.

cheeers

chris

I got a new mavic pro 2 as well. Been pretty happy with it so far.  Curious,  is polar pro nd the way to go ? Internet's down at home so only get a chance to research  things a bit sporadically at the moment.  

My beef against Mavic Pro 2 is that couple of grams over 900 mark, the difference between to be subject to be fined or not... ; ) Everyone asking me I am able to suggest the true jump from original version and IMHO much better than the Mini 2 designed for U.S. market limitations, her sister and here is why: