What REALLY prompted Canon suddenly to get their act together with video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Mako Sports1 said:

Then you should have a public demo reel available for viewing correct?

Yes I do.

3 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

You must have some proof of your client work no? Vimeo reel 

I sure do.

4 minutes ago, Mako Sports1 said:

Then you should have a public demo reel available for viewing correct?

You still haven't commented on the video I already posted.  You have no opinion about them?  You have nothing to say about the topic at hand?

Lets move on from the catfighing.  Color science preference is a pretty subjective field.

Super8 I'm curious what do you find is so horrible about the BM P6K color science?

I watched the footage and didn't notice any distinctive flaws.

Personally I'd say all current gen cameras have pretty good CS. 

Sony still struggles in mixed lighting. Black Magic had tint problems on some previous gen models, but not anymore I think.

Canon are renown for their skin tones.

Shoot RAW or Log anyways if you wanna grade and add your own flavour.

3 minutes ago, Mako Sports1 said:

Figured as much, i'm not a professional colorist. I'm just trying to learn from someone that claims to be one. 🤷

Feel free to comment on the videos that were posted.  When I post a thred about my work and what I do I'll send you and invite.

2 minutes ago, Django said:

Lets move on from the catfighing.  Color science preference is a pretty subjective field.

Super8 I'm curious what do you find is so horrible about the BM P6K color science?

I watched the footage and didn't notice any distinctive flaws.

Personally I'd say all current gen cameras have pretty good CS. 

Sony still struggles in mixed lighting. Black Magic had tint problems on some previous gen models, but not anymore I think.

Shoot RAW or Log anyways if you wanna grade and add your own flavour.

Take a look at this Canon vs BMP6K.

By itself the P6k looks acceptable but next to Canon the P6K has major flaws that I've had to and am currently fixing.

Look at 01:29 sec.  The P6K color and color luma are all over the place.  The green shadow sides of the pillars are all over the place compared to Canon and when you start moving these colors around it becomes an issue. The red on the digital slate is off also. If you don't have a reference point of what color could and should be, you accept what the P6K gives you.  The P6K is not Sony A7III bad but it has issues. 

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Apparently it isn't subjective to @Super8!

Although on what basis this is determined, "who knows??"

I answered your question.  And my take was that ARRI and Canon are the easiest to color correct and grade.  In caveman terms this means you don't have to push and pull color to correct ARRI and Canon as much as other cameras. They both also treat mid tone and shadow color better than the other guys (camera makers). 

Look at the Canon and P6K video above and tell me which one you subjectively like better?

Just now, Super8 said:

Take a look at this Canon vs BMP6K.

By itself the P6k looks acceptable but next to Canon the P6K has major flaws that I've had to and am currently fixing.

Look at 01:29 sec.  The P6K color and color luma are all over the place.  The green shadow sides of the pillars are all over the place compared to Canon and when you start moving these colors around it becomes an issue. The red on the digital slate is off also. If you don't have a reference point of what color could and should be, you accept what the P6K gives you.  The P6K is not Sony A7III bad but it has issues. 

You are comparing a camera that is 10 times the cost of the other one. It would be a schocker if it was the other way around. A comparison between an eos R and pocket 6K is a more fair comparison.

Just now, zerocool22 said:

You are comparing a camera that is 10 times the cost of the other one. It would be a schocker if it was the other way around. A comparison between an eos R and pocket 6K is a more fair comparison.

No not really.  I posted another video with the BM Ursa mini 4.6 G2 and that color falls apart also compared to Canon. 

Canon color does not fall apart or is less with the EOS-R.  

Do I need to find the threads with people saying the P6K is a true cine camera? and it compare to the RED and Canon cine line-up? 

Just now, Mako Sports1 said:

Skin honestly isn't that important to me. I shoot sports highlight 99% of the time. Never had a client or viewer say anything about the vector scope flesh line. 

You might want to check it out and see where it's landing.   Skin tone is important to all clients.  You kinda have a posting attitude that makes it difficult to engage with you without walking the plank of the pirate ship.

39 minutes ago, Super8 said:

No not really.  I posted another video with the BM Ursa mini 4.6 G2 and that color falls apart also compared to Canon. 

Canon color does not fall apart or is less with the EOS-R.  

Do I need to find the threads with people saying the P6K is a true cine camera? and it compare to the RED and Canon cine line-up? 

Probably the biggest deterrent for me from the EOS R was the rolling shutter. Subpar high ISO performance and lack of 10 bit internal or full frame 4k was also a bummer. 

Do you have any experience with old Blackmagic cameras? A lot of people rave about the color from the original Pocket (1080p version). 

Some of what you say sounds a bit over the top but at the end the day the majority of the industry seems to agree with you as Arri is the golden standard next to Canon, for high end work that is(if the Oscars are a good example of high end)

17 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Some of what you say sounds a bit over the top but at the end the day the majority of the industry seems to agree with you as Arri is the golden standard next to Canon, for high end work that is(if the Oscars are a good example of high end)

I found this interesting regards Oscar nominated films.    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/cameras-lens-2020-oscar-contenders-best-cinematography-1202187839/    Most are not going to be using small hybrid cameras that most of us here use and they are going to be using full size large rigged cameras for the most part which means those sort of things (especially if they have multi million dollar budgets....their funders no doubt EXPECT them to be using high end stuff in many cases).     Very few of those DPs even mentioned colour (one did that I noted) and it was lots of others things in why they chose their cameras....a LOT of them used film!