Has Canon planned a Formidable Attack

sanveer

The S1H and S1(even more so the S1) are just incredible for the price. 

For pro work though yeah the C500 MK2 looks amazing. Too bad Panasonic won't do phase detect AF. That the main reason people are going sony and canon over panasonic IMO. I also wonder why they didn't put a RAW option in the S1H. 

I am still sticking with my Fuji(and Ursa mini 🥰 😉 ) 

I am still waiting on Canon to release something more hmmm cheaper and better. 

The new 1DX is awesome but whats up with the old body with no tilt screen?? Really looking forward to their new mirrorless releases as the EOS R was a bummer imo. Also just saw a comparison between the S1H and 1DX3 and the Panasonic had a fair bit more dynamic range, even though the Canon was shooting RAW.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

For pro work though yeah the C500 MK2 looks amazing.

Why the others don't, Tom? When you pay a high premium you could rather use accessorizing your gear at your wish and command? ; )

And yet, save some other amount for your production values, what about that?

Camera department is just a single piece of the puzzle, not much else... ; -)

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Why the others don't, Tom? When you pay a high premium you could rather use accessorizing your gear at your wish and command? ; )

And yet, save some other amount for your production values, what about that?

Camera department is just a single piece of the puzzle, not much else... ; -)

The C500 simply has things the S1H and fuji don't. Same can be said for the Fuji and S1H in comparison to the C500 but its different tools for different jobs. 

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The S1H and S1(even more so the S1) are just incredible for the price. 

For pro work though yeah the C500 MK2 looks amazing. Too bad Panasonic won't do phase detect AF. That the main reason people are going sony and canon over panasonic IMO. I also wonder why they didn't put a RAW option in the S1H. 

I am still sticking with my Fuji(and Ursa mini 🥰 😉 ) 

I am still waiting on Canon to release something more hmmm cheaper and better. 

The new 1DX is awesome but whats up with the old body with no tilt screen?? Really looking forward to their new mirrorless releases as the EOS R was a bummer imo. Also just saw a comparison between the S1H and 1DX3 and the Panasonic had a fair bit more dynamic range, even though the Canon was shooting RAW.

The test of S1H vs 1DX III it is not scientifically done, not even the iso where matching... even then are the iso really matching between cameras (and we know it is not), was he using the same lens yelling the same exposure etc..., was he using dlog enabled (high light protection) in 1DX RAW or not, was the exposure measured with a light meter and not with the camera meter etc.... it was a quick non scientific test just focus on the highlight and not the full DR that proves nothing... classical youtube quick and dirty comparison.... Maybe still the S1H has better DR but until is tested scientifically is just a random guy doing a random test.... Hopefully cinema5d will test the DR of the 1DX III (also there you could argue about the methodology but is definitely much better than random tests)

21 hours ago, gt3rs said:

The FX9 seem a very good camera but It cost less as it offer less.... the C500 II can do 6K RAW internal at 60 FF (zero crop) with DPAF, Sony caps at 4k 10bit 30fps FF or when they will ever release the firmware 4k 10bit? 60 fps Cropped ca. 1.25..... Not really the same.....

At 16K there is no camera that can do FF 60 FPS RAW internal with good AF 4k or above.... I would not call it overpriced. For most people in this forum yes but so is the FX9.... 

The Canon costs 20.956.000euros, the FX9 is 13.500, there are not even close, one would expect the camera that costs 1/3 more to offer some more, the question is who is paying the price difference, and if one cares, to do so.

Sony creates another instant classic that in time it will be the new FS7 and Canon will sell a few to rental houses.

There must be a new Canon near that price range to be competitive to the Sony, C300mkII is 10.800euros, how much will be the new Canon (assuming there is one its coming), and how much will the C prices go down?

As much as I detaste Sony and their ergonomics, Canon makes so little sense when they price themselves out of most markets.

It is no surprise that most of the TV productions here are made with Sony cameras. I have worked a few reality type or travel shows here with 10bit from GH5, but all the others are Sony. I do not even remember when I worked a Canon for TV. Even C200, I know just a few who owns one, while there are unlimited C100 cameras still in use.

9 hours ago, Mike Mgee said:

@Eric Calabros Regardless. If they are measuring all cameras at the same SN Ratio, it provides an easy way to compare them. 

Maybe.    The thing with all these DR tests is they only apply to the light used for the test.     In the real world, changing just about anything will affect different cameras differently so any "league table" at the settings used could change dramatically just by shooting in slightly lower light.     The camera that "wins" at ISO 100 could be last by ISO 800.      In lower light, the human eye has a greatly reduced DR to what it has in good light.

As an example, my now aging A7s has a stop less DR at base for stills than the S1R but by ISO 12800, it has more than a stop more and by iso 25600, about 2 stops more. EDIT That is from DXO and is for print, changed to screen and the A7s is the same at base as the S1R but the difference is even greater as you up the ISO.

I may be a little odd but i tend to shoot more at ISO 12800 than i do at base iso.

As long a the DR is ENOUGH should be all that really matters.

There is a press conference of Canon on 20 april, and one of Sony on the 30th(they were scheduled at the same time, but sony postponed theirs when they found out Canon was at the same time). I wonder why sony does that, is it because they will include extra features to compete with canon if the canon news is better? 

11 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

There is a press conference of Canon on 20 april, and one of Sony on the 30th(they were scheduled at the same time, but sony postponed theirs when they found out Canon was at the same time). I wonder why sony does that, is it because they will include extra features to compete with canon if the canon news is better? 

They will put a lot of *..  *coming in future firmware updates ...😂 On a serious note I doubt is for watching Canon, it is way too late to change things other than price....probably the idea is to be later so the press blogs etc will talk only about Sony announcement and not both at the same time...

Rumor strongly suggests is the C300 iii and Sony has already the FX9 in that price segment so I doubt that there is any overlapping. 

16 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Too late for that, but you can word things differently, place the emphasis on different features, etc.

23 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

There is a press conference of Canon on 20 april, and one of Sony on the 30th(they were scheduled at the same time, but sony postponed theirs when they found out Canon was at the same time). I wonder why sony does that

They need an extra 10 days tick the roman numerials from A7SIII to A7SIV.

I have the C200 and we did some basic tests with a friend who just purchased a C500 Mk2. In real life, without pixel pipping,  I was very surprised by the lack of noticeable different in term of IQ. The DR on the C200, even in 8bit is very good.
But the surprising part on the C500 is the noticeable amount of noise even at low ISO in XF-AVC 10bit.  Shooting with the intermediate codec on this camera is like going raw as far as noise goes. There is little NR applied. While I understand the heavy noise pattern in Cine lite raw (both C200 and C500), this is surprising to find that much noise for the middle ground codec.
Also, there is no 8 bits mode on the C500, or a least I didn't find it during my quick test. Won't be a huge deal for most C500 user but 8 bits can be handy sometime.

From Newsshooter

"I personally think that the C500 Mark II, C300 Mark III, and the EOS R5 are Canon’s most significant announcements since the original C300. The C300 was the first affordable digital cinema camera that could record in a broadcast quality codec. It was a hugely popular camera for Canon, but just about everything else they have done since has been a little lacklustre, to say the least. The EOS C500, EOS C300 Mark II, EOS C700 & EOS C700 FF were all met with mixed reactions, and all those models failed to gain any real traction in the market."