ATEM Mini Pro vs Everybody`

EphraimP

I haven't contribute much to the What Will You Do thread. But I think I've found the answer, an answer many of us are coming too: multi-cam living streaming virtual events. I got a call today from a local hard cider brewer and event venue operator who wants me to provide pro-looking video for 4 virtual mini-concert/small batch cider releases he's trying to pull off to bring attention to his brand and support local nonprofits -- they'll get a percentage of sales from the special ciders. It's possible that, at least where I'm at, large scale events will be banned for at least another 6 months, maybe more. Music venues, small brands and musicians are going to have to think outside the box if they are going to survive, so I foresee more types of virtual events that will need budget-friendly, professional live production services. 

Which brings me to the ATEM Mini Pro. Do you think Blackmagic used actual black magic to launch this product seemingly made for the zeitgeist of the Coronavirus era at exactly the right moment. It seems like a great tool at a great price for one-man-bands or small production crews getting into the live broadcast/streaming space. I was about to pull the trigger on one from B&H and wait impatiently until they actual arrive in stock and ship, but of course it was already shabbat, so I have to wait until sometime tomorrow to order from them.

Which got me thinking. Are there any other mini switchers out there I should be looking at? I know there are software options out there to stream with one camera, but I think the option to offer multi-cam setups could set an operator apart. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Which brings me to the ATEM Mini Pro. Do you think Blackmagic used actual black magic to launch this product seemingly made for the zeitgeist of the Coronavirus era at exactly the right moment. It seems like a great tool at a great price for one-man-bands or small production crews getting into the live broadcast/streaming space.

They already had their original ATEM Mini, I wouldn't be surprised if they had already had plans to work on an updated "Pro" version. And once they saw coronavirus sweeping the world and there being very high demand for their existing streaming gear, I think it is not surprising they'd put all their focus into getting their next product out the door in just a matter of weeks. 

27 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Which got me thinking. Are there any other mini switchers out there I should be looking at? I know there are software options out there to stream with one camera, but I think the option to offer multi-cam setups could set an operator apart. 

Seems like there is nothing else which can beat the ATEM Mini Pro's features for a lower price. But it's up to you as to if that is all you need, or maybe you need more, or less?

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

They already had their original ATEM Mini, I wouldn't be surprised if they had already had plans to work on an updated "Pro" version. And once they saw coronavirus sweeping the world and there being very high demand for their existing streaming gear, I think it is not surprising they'd put all their focus into getting their next product out the door in just a matter of weeks. 

I was trying to be ironic. I think more than anything they got lucky with the timing. You're probably right that they pushed like hell to get it introduced once they saw how things were going.

I don't think I'll need any more than the Mini-Pro. Could probably do ok with the regular mini, not that it's even in stock anywhere. Some of the updated features, like the direct livecasting ability and recording feature, make it seem like a no-brainer, especially seeing as the cost will be covered in the first month and I don't really have any other video business right not to speak of, other than finishing up some festival music videos from last year for the same guy. I'm hoping B&H gets it in stock quickly enough and haven't taken more pre-orders than they have stock coming.

Does anyone know if they throw in the full Resolve with the switcher, like they do with their cameras?

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Does anyone know if they throw in the full Resolve with the switcher, like they do with their cameras?

No, they don't include Resolve with it.

The Mini-Pro is definitely worth springing the extra money for purely for the multi-view function alone. 

There are workarounds with HDMI splitters and quad viewers that can give you the same thing, albeit in a more limited fashion, if you have the Mini and add around £150 to the total but it is a bit clunky.

In a world where the Mini-Pro didn't exist this was perfectly OK and might still be if budget is an issue but its a more clunky solution and gives you more points of failure which is the last thing you need in a live situation so I'd say absolutely get the Mini-Pro if you can.

The functionality of the Mini and Mini-Pro to turn the Pocket4K/6K cameras into studio cameras is something that puts the Mini range way ahead of the more expensive ATEM Studio HD that I have. Being able to control the cameras and colour match them is a very big deal and with the Pocket4K you also have the option of a few servo zoom lenses that you can control which again is a big deal if you are working on your own.

Another big advantage of the Mini range is that they run off 12v so you have the option to be truly mobile if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

seen a post on face book saying one supplier has atem mini pros in stock, so looks like you can all rush out and buy one shortly.  Probably just like the p4k it might take a while for stock to reach all stores as i went to the store and their all sold out lol, not that i was getting one, just curious

https://voiceandvideosales.com/products/blackmagic-design-atem-mini-pro-hdmi-live-stream-switcher?_pos=1&_sid=ecf015b39&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR2548y0pfurBqg0Zn913sIvtR3-bVAF_06WeZsssyJDfoCqoHE4fd4eByg

On 4/18/2020 at 12:17 PM, BTM_Pix said:

No, they don't include Resolve with it.

The Mini-Pro is definitely worth springing the extra money for purely for the multi-view function alone. 

There are workarounds with HDMI splitters and quad viewers that can give you the same thing, albeit in a more limited fashion, if you have the Mini and add around £150 to the total but it is a bit clunky.

In a world where the Mini-Pro didn't exist this was perfectly OK and might still be if budget is an issue but its a more clunky solution and gives you more points of failure which is the last thing you need in a live situation so I'd say absolutely get the Mini-Pro if you can.

The functionality of the Mini and Mini-Pro to turn the Pocket4K/6K cameras into studio cameras is something that puts the Mini range way ahead of the more expensive ATEM Studio HD that I have. Being able to control the cameras and colour match them is a very big deal and with the Pocket4K you also have the option of a few servo zoom lenses that you can control which again is a big deal if you are working on your own.

Another big advantage of the Mini range is that they run off 12v so you have the option to be truly mobile if needed.

What servo lens are you referring to?

The 6K, not? What about the 18-135 with the servo thingy under it?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, leslie said:

seen a post on face book saying one supplier has atem mini pros in stock, so looks like you can all rush out and buy one shortly. 

And for anyone who does rush out and buy one (or has any ATEM product for that matter), I've developed an interesting little product for it.....

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What servo lens are you referring to?

The 6K, not? What about the 18-135 with the servo thingy under it?

Yeah, for the P4K Panasonic have 14-42mm and 45-175mm powered zoom lenses and Olympus have a 12-50mm.

For the 6K, the servo thingy (Canon refer to it as the PZ-E1 which is a far less useful name ;) ) could be used remotely with some modification as the 18-135 is quite a good range for this sort of stuff.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its nothing earth shattering to be honest

The missing on/off switch? 

We are using the Mini (not the Pro version) with MS Teams and Collaborate - really easy to key a keynote/PowerPoint presentation behind the speaker with overlay graphics (name, email address etc.). My only issue is not knowing the best microphone setup to use.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

The missing on/off switch? 

<makes last minute spec addition>

3 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

My only issue is not knowing the best microphone setup to use.

This new thingy will make audio mixing a bit easier/more intuitive when you do though ;) 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The one that is closest to the speaker's mouth

I have the choice of:

Rode lav (XLR - mini XLR - P4K)

Rode Videomic Pro+ (3.5mm into P4k with +20 gain on)

Rode NT1 (XLR) (Got this with Rode AI1 usb box)

When I plug the videomic into the ATEM I get a lot of hiss. The videomic into P4k (and then into ATEM) seems to work (no one has reported otherwise but everyone I am involved with is using laptop built-in mics and accepting what they have so not the most discerning audience!)
Ideas appreciated! 

Would the lav into the P4k be a better solution than the Videomic?  

On 5/7/2020 at 1:49 AM, BTM_Pix said:

And for anyone who does rush out and buy one (or has any ATEM product for that matter), I've developed an interesting little product for it.....

I already have one in my hot little hands. I ordered one from B&H when I posted this thread and then found a random shop in the (American) Midwest that had some in stock on Amazon and snapped one up before they sold out. I've been playing with it on Zoom meetings to familiarize myself with it and have a series of live concert events planned for this month and next. I'm definitely interested in what you're cooking up. 

The multiview feature works great but sound has some quirks. I've not been able to get the audio ins on the ATEM itself to work, though sound from camera has been fine once I fully understood how to turn it on. Sound control using the Fairlight consul in the software control has been fine. But the ATEM itself should have an audio out for monitoring. 

11 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I have the choice of:

Rode lav (XLR - mini XLR - P4K)

Rode Videomic Pro+ (3.5mm into P4k with +20 gain on)

Rode NT1 (XLR) (Got this with Rode AI1 usb box)

When I plug the videomic into the ATEM I get a lot of hiss. The videomic into P4k (and then into ATEM) seems to work (no one has reported otherwise but everyone I am involved with is using laptop built-in mics and accepting what they have so not the most discerning audience!)
Ideas appreciated! 

Would the lav into the P4k be a better solution than the Videomic?  

What are you shooting? Just a simple straight to camera talking head, a single person? With switching to say a 2nd camera angle and an overhead product shot?

If it is ok to have a mic in frame, then use the NT1 into the P4K (if it is cleaner than the ATEM? Which sounds like is maybe the case? You'll have to test).

Next best option is the Rode VideoMic Pro+ just an half inch above the edge of frame (if your shot is too wide, you might be able to cut out the mic even though you're live streaming?).

Otherwise, if your shot is wiiiiiiiiide (and the mic can't be removed out of shot) and/or your speaker sways around too much in his set rather than being still, use the lav.